Search Unity

Possible to have multiple Oculus (Oculi?) connected to same game?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Notter, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Notter

Notter

Hello,
    i just started working with unity, and I have an idea for a game i wanna make for 2 players

but before i even start it, i wanna know if it's even possible for 2 players with oculus to play together locally?
    or, does it have any issues over a network multiplayer?

2. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

Locally as on the same computer you currently can't. Even if you could think about how hard it is to keep 75 FPS with one rift let alone 2.

Online is certainly possible just like any other game.

3. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Yeah, I can't imagine trying to do it locally. That'd be almost like plugging four monitors into a PC with each player owning two of them. Rendering the scene four times is a bit much to ask probably.

The best bet to do multiple Rifts in the same game would probably be to do it as a multiplayer type of thing, one PC per person talking over a network.

4. El Maxo

El Maxo

As it stands, you cant actully get two oculuses to run on one pc, ever if you had a pc that could. So networking would be your best bet. If your not sure how to do this there alot alot of tutroial vids and I would advise starting with Photon. As I have personaliy found this pretty easy to pick up.

5. SoylentGraham

SoylentGraham

Just for some clarity, you CAN do multiple rift's on a mac (and I assume there isn't such a restriction in windows either), but you need to modify the OVR plugin source. Internally the oculus code supports many devices, the plugin doesn't.

Also to that end, this week I've been rendering a moderately high poly & pixel shader heavy scene to multiple cubemaps (ie, 2x6 renders) and output to 5 monitors and manage to get 120fps, so I don't think this would be impossible by any stretch given decent hardware.

6. El Maxo

El Maxo

Still I think that the easier choice would be using photon.