Search Unity

Possible Solution for Stuck at 5/11 Clustering

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Claytonious, Sep 16, 2015.

1. Claytonious

Claytonious

Like others, in scenes with large terrains, we were hopelessly stuck during lightmap bakes at 5/11 Clustering. We have Precomputed Realtime GI turned OFF, so I ignored it for a long time. In desperation, though, I turned it back on, lowered its resolution down to 0.01 (from its default of 1), then turned it back off again.

And voila - we are no longer stuck. We are now able to bake successfully.

Therefore, it seems like something in the bake process is not paying attention to the fact that Precomputed Realtime GI is turned off, and is still trying to do some work based on its resolution parameter?

2. rstorm000

rstorm000

This is a crazy bug if it's actually the case

edit: Or is it that indirect resolution and real time GI are the same. Need to look up the significance here... What does the Indirect Resolution do in baked mode?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. mattSydney

mattSydney

Whoo thanks this worked for me. I have been stuck on this for days. Another Unity 5 hackaround ;)

LaserWzzrd likes this.
  4. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

@rstorm000 Yes, this is by design. You should set Indirect Resolution to some reasonable value that makes sense for your scene, like you would set Realtime Resolution if you were using Realtime GI, because they do map to the same parameter in the Lighting pipeline.

Claytonious likes this.
  5. rstorm000

rstorm000

Yeah been doing a lot more tests and understanding the workflow a lot more. Issues occur when even with an indirect resolution like .1 or 1 texel per unit, it completely stalls on larger scenes, seemingly from larger objects. But I'm sure you've read about this in a bunch of other threads.

6. Claytonious

Claytonious

The fact that this parameter is grouped under "Precomputed realtime GI", and cannot even be edited when realtime GI is turned off, is very misleading then! Maybe this parameter should be moved out to a higher level and always editable to reflect the reality of what's going on here. This will unblock a lot of people who are stuck trying to bake large objects and don't know what to change to get around it.

LaserWzzrd likes this.
  7. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

When Realtime GI is off (and Baked GI is enabled), you modify the Indirect Resolution in the Baked GI section.

8. NorthernVisionStudio

NorthernVisionStudio

My recent experience with stalling (and hard freezing) at 5/11 has to do with system RAM. When it runs out, apparently, virtual memory is just not fast enough to work with Enlighten. A simple GI calc turns into 'too much to process' quickly.

A trick I am playing with now is to split up the GI calc for static meshes. For example, I have this highly detailed car interior. Calculating the whole thing at once causes this failure. But, if I do 10 nodes at a time, then enable all of them at the end, it works fine. Somehow, in the small batches, the results of each batch is stored in the cache and is used when re-enabled.

Hope this helps someone.

NGC6543 likes this.
  9. huxley

huxley

Maybe so, but this does not resolve the bug. It only completes a stalled render when you follow the steps outlined by Clay and enable Realtime GI, change the settings in that menu (to a lower value), then disable Realtime GI. Changing Indirect Resolution in the Baked GI section does not fix this issue.

LaserWzzrd likes this.
  10. NorthernVisionStudio

NorthernVisionStudio

Regarding Enlighten and meshes > 65k faces: when Unity splits a large mesh, it trips Enlighten. Chance of hanging the machine is high. Cause may be strangely formed meshes.

11. nam-duong-887

nam-duong-887

IT WORKS!!! YOU SAVE MY DAY!! YOU ARE THE BEST SIR !! COME TO MELBOURNE I BUY YOU A DRINK

LaserWzzrd and Claytonious like this.
  12. voltage

voltage

This bug still exists. Your solution worked Claytonious, but now my lighting really sucks.

My version of Unity is 5.1.0f3 Personal. I suppose I should go check if there's a newer version.

EDIT: There is! Here's to hoping it all works out.

13. ChristopherWood

ChristopherWood

Worked for me too, 5.3.4f1 Personal. Cheers!

millefoliumink likes this.
  14. Twyker

Twyker

also worked in 5.5.1f1

15. hari2015

hari2015

And in 5.5.6