Search Unity

Question Possible memory leak when streaming video to texture?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by pringmylifeup, Nov 23, 2022.

1. pringmylifeup

pringmylifeup

Howdy -

Cross-posting this with `General Graphics` as I don't know a good home for my question..

I'm trying to livestream video to a texture, and, it works, but after some time Unity hung and I got a low disk warning (atm I have 15GB free). After I killed Unity, the disk freed back up. This leads me to believe there is a memory leak somewhere in my code or pipeline, which led to a disk swap catastrophe.

My pipeline is as follows: sending a 480p/30fps jpg-compressed camera stream through ROS (ROS-TCP connector). This callback runs on every frame coming in:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void c_img_cb(CompressedImageMsg img) {
    2.         //Debug.Log(img);
    3.         Texture2D texRos = new Texture2D(640, 480, TextureFormat.RGB24, false);
    4.         texRos.LoadImage(img.data);
    5.         obj.GetComponent<Renderer>().material.mainTexture = texRos;      
    6.     }
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. ThermalFusion

ThermalFusion

Are you running this code every frame?
    Asset types like Texture2D are unmanaged, you need to Destroy() them when no longer used.
    As I read your code now you are creating a new texture every frame that never gets unloaded.
    You should really only need one and reuse it.

3. pringmylifeup

pringmylifeup

Awesome - thank you!!

Just curious - Are there managed assets in Unity? Why doesn't texRos fall out of scope after the function runs (and thus get picked up by the garbage collector)?

4. ThermalFusion

ThermalFusion

Not as far as I know.
    I'm sure it's explained in the manual somewhere, I just can't seem to find where right now.
    The assets, like materials, meshes and textures, live on the C++ side of the engine and the C# objects just point to them. So the C# objects might go out of scope, but the C++ side does not.
    I'm surely missing details here but this is how I understand it to work.

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

No matter the reason, please don't cross-post.