Search Unity

Bug Possible crashing or false reporting in Unity IAP 4.5.2

Discussion in 'Unity IAP' started by Mirror_Shiel, Jan 9, 2023.

1. Mirror_Shiel

Mirror_Shiel

This is a shot in the dark, so feel free to close or delete this thread if it's not the right place for it.

I maintain a Unity-made mobile game (engine version 2020.3.27f1) that is available on the Google Play Store. A few weeks ago we pushed an update that upgraded the Unity IAP package from 4.5.0 to 4.5.1. After that update, Google Play started reporting a significant spike in our "User-perceived crash rate". Upgrading to 4.5.2 did not help and even seems to have made the problem worse. See in the attached image, in which the red circle is the upgrade to 4.5.1 and the blue circle is the upgrade to 4.5.2.

upload_2023-1-9_18-15-59.png

Our app updates during these times did not upgrade the engine version or any other packages, and the changes made to our game code and assets were minimal and did not include anything that I would immediately suspect to cause crashing.

Strangely, we have received no reports at all from users that crashing has been more of a problem since these updates. We have a system that reports error and exception logs to us for debug purposes, and none of those logs suggest any new kind of crashing at all; though it's always possible that the app is crashing completely before being able to send off the error report.

What's more, our reports of total crashes in Google Play (as opposed to the "User-perceived crash rate") do not seem to correlate at all to the previous graph. Here is that one.

upload_2023-1-9_18-25-15.png
    (I have no idea what happened on the 4th there, but it doesn't seem to help much in any case. Likely a user on a low-spec phone continually opening and crashing the game hoping it would work)

In short, the only actual evidence of any issue at all is Google Play's report of the "User-perceived crash rate".

I'm posting this here because the most likely culprit is the Unity IAP package, either for causing crashes or for doing something the Google Play falsely interprets as a crash. Let me know if you have any thoughts or advice, as well as if I can provide any more details to help isolate the issue.

2. lblast

lblast

I would like to bump this thread as we see something similar.

3. azacharias

azacharias

I too would like to bump this thread. We see something similar.

4. Mirror_Shiel

Mirror_Shiel

Heyo, we solved this problem by upgrading our project's engine version, specifically from 2020.3.27f1 to 2020.3.44f1. This also included an upgrade to the InAppPurchasing package from 4.5.0 to 4.5.2, which I suspect was the real culprit. Hope this helps, good luck!