Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible bug with Multi Display and Sreen Space - Camera Canvases

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Schacherl, Aug 8, 2019.

1. Schacherl

Schacherl

Running into an issue with Camera Space Canvases on multiple displays that's got me completely perplexed.

Here's the scenario:

I've got a set up with 2 screens, one is a touch monitor that is solely for touchable UI, and the other is a regular monitor with the rest of our game displaying, which will include additional, non interact-able UI. So 2 cameras pointing to the 2 displays, and 2 canvases, one for each screen.

Both canvases need to support particle effects to spice them up, which means I have to use either Screen Space - Camera or World Space for the Render Mode of the canvas, and I'm going with Screen Space - Camera. The only differences between the 2 cameras and canvases is the Target Display setting on each camera and which camera is set to the Render Camera on each canvas.

However, whenever I set the canvas for the secondary display to either of those render modes, the UI refuses to render.

upload_2019-8-8_14-57-45.png

Oddly enough, the UI does display correctly in the camera preview that you get in the scene view when you select the camera, but the game view is always missing it.

upload_2019-8-8_14-56-7.png

As a note, UI does show correctly when using Screen Space - Overlay for the Render Mode with the Target Display set correctly, but as I said that doesn't work for our needs.

Anyone have any insight? I've been stuck on this for the past few hours trying to figure it out and can't find anything in any documentation that would lead me to believe this is something that shouldn't be supported.

This is an issue I ran into in 2019.2.0, but I stepped back several versions and get the same results at least as far back as 2017.4.1

2. Trivium_Dev

Trivium_Dev

Can you post screenshots of your Camera and Canvas inspectors? I was able to set it up and working correctly in 2018.4.2.

3. Schacherl

Schacherl

Of course!

Camera Pointing to Display 1:

upload_2019-8-9_10-23-8.png

Camera Pointing to Display 2:

upload_2019-8-9_10-23-19.png

Canvas for Display 1:

upload_2019-8-9_10-23-36.png

And Canvas for Display 2:

upload_2019-8-9_10-23-46.png

4. Trivium_Dev

Trivium_Dev

So I'm seeing the same issue/behavior in 2019.2.0. It's working in 2018.4.2 though. If it doesn't seem to work when you try downgrading your project, I would recommend creating a completely separate new project in 2018.4.x and trying to set it up and see if it works (I attempted to move my test project back and it broke nearly every script in my test scene which just had cameras and the canvas/image components so probably easier to just create a new project with 2018.4.x).

5. Schacherl

Schacherl

Ok, just did some more thorough testing and did get it to function correctly in 2017.4.1, 2018.3.1, and 2019.1.1 so this is looking like an issue with only the current version. Following the same steps in 2019.1.1 and then upgrading breaks the functionality. Seems like submitting an actual bug report is the way to go, then?

6. Trivium_Dev

Trivium_Dev

Yep - seems like 2019.2 is having a lot of issues, I'm sticking to 2018.4.x for now...