Search Unity

Resolved Possible bug? App seems to lock up when using a lot of rigidbodies for an extended period of time

Discussion in 'Physics' started by j_chai, Dec 21, 2021.

1. j_chai

j_chai

Unity Version: 2021.1.15f1
    I currently need to use quite a lot of rigidbodies for an extended period of time (50-300 objects for possibly hours), but the app keeps freezing after around 10-30 minutes, and I can't find what triggers the freeze.
    Looking at the C++ call stack, it seems like the app is waiting for
    physx::shdfnd::SListImpl::pop
    (this seems to be the topmost function on the stack),
    (Links for reference? : https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/...rce/foundation/src/windows/PsWindowsSList.cpp
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...pi/nf-interlockedapi-interlockedpopentryslist)
    Trying to debug in C# is basically impossible because Visual studio also freezes the moment the app locks up.

I've found that these help mitigate the problem, but none are really a good option:
    1. Reduce the number of objects in contact with each other
    2. Reduce the number of physics objects used in the scene
    3. Shorten the physics timestep (We're already struggling with performance so..)

While disabling it didn't appear to help, I should probably mention that I'm using physics materials, and am using mesh colliders with said material. While using primitive colliders seems to fix the freeze, that might be because using the primitive colliders help reduce the number of objects in contact in the first place.

Don't know how useful this info will be, but as a test I've added something along the lines of
    Code (CSharp):
    2. // Awake
    3. _logThread = new Thread(SubthreadLogger.Log);
    4. shouldLog = true;
    5. _logThread.Start();
    7. /*
    8. Somewhere else in code
    9. void SubthreadLogger.Log()
    10. {
    11.    while (shouldLog) // false on destroy then followed by a [Join]
    12.    {
    13.        Debug.Log("Still Updating...");
    14.        Thread.Sleep(1000);
    15.    }
    16. }
    17. */
    but this also stopped logging the moment the app freezes.
    Oh and also, this problem only occurs in Build, it works flawlessly in Editor.
    Any ideas what might be going on?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  2. j_chai

j_chai

Tiny update, reducing the number of active Physics objects didn't actually fix anything, but it can now go for ~1 hour before freezing if I limit it to 100 objects.

Seeing that, I first thought that I may have a memory leak somewhere, but no, the memory usage seems constant throughout the hour.

I'm just wildly guessing at this point, but I assume having all the scene colliders in the same object would be better than having them in every single scene object so that's what I'm trying next. (Update: this did not fix it)

New clue: removing a _rb.AddForce line seems to fix the issue? still testing this build though. (Update: this also didn't fix it)
    Will remove all code changing the _rb component properties and see how it goes now. (Update: don't want to get too exited, but 2 hours in, this seems to fix it; maybe using AddForce and/or changing the velocity property of the rigidbody is a bad idea?)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2021
  3. j_chai

j_chai

Another update, several hours into testing and yeah, seems like the problem was with me changing the force and velocity of the physics object. No idea why though.

Update: messing with the rigidbody's drag also causes freezing. Seems like I can't change any of the rigidbody's properties or it'll freeze sooner or later.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    Edy likes this.
  4. j_chai

j_chai

Soo, this is interesting, the build I thought wouldn't freeze, just froze.. in the same line.. (physx::shdfnd...)
    Guess it'll be a silent night (of debugging) for me today. (pardon the joke)

5. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I'm not a 3D physics dev but you should consider submitting a bug report if you can consistently reproduce a freeze. At least then you'd have Unity QA verifying and trying to help you reproduce the problem, possible finding some workarounds.

6. j_chai

j_chai

Yeah.. I wouldn't say that I can reproduce it consistently right now.. (It'll freeze eventually, but I have no idea what triggers it.). I'm currently trying to at least make a minimal repro project that would mimic the freezing I'm experiencing, but that might take a while..

Update: Again, trying to not get my hopes up, but commenting out a kinematic rigidbody's MovePosition parameter seems to help fix things up, but I'm going to keep the build running for a while just to make sure.

Update 2: Aaand it froze!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  7. tjmaul

tjmaul

Just a hunch: are you enabling/disabling any colliders in a Coroutine? Or anything relating to physics at all in Coroutines? I’ve had a case that reminds me a lot of yours with totally inexplicable crashes that I never really understood. In my case, the editor just froze and sometimes I could only recover my computer (macos by that time) doing a reboot.

anyhow, I’m following this thread in the best hopes that you’ll find the bug. I know how frustrating this can be!

8. j_chai

j_chai

Sadly no, I am not :(
    However, I am using Coroutines to read the asset I'm instantiating from the asset bundle, which I don't think will mess things up, but I'll try a putting the reference object as a SerializedProperty in my script instead and see how that goes.
    Sadly for my case, this only happens in build, so checking if the changes I made fixed things takes a bit of time.. (Need to wait at least an hour for asset bundle, 15 minutes for the actual build)

Thanks! :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  9. j_chai

j_chai

Last observation of the year: if I have a large number of objects colliding with a static rigidbody plane, it'll freeze within 15 minutes, but now I'm making it collide with a kinematic rigidbody plane, and after 30 minutes it still haven't froze. I want to test this for longer, but I need to finish up for today, Happy holidays Everyone!

10. j_chai

j_chai

I was able to get in touch with people from Unity Japan through a private forum, and they confirmed that it seems to be a bug with no foreseeable workaround. Currently being told to wait for a fix.

11. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

If you have a case number then I can see what progress has been made on this though for you.

It should also have a public link too if it's been accepted as an externally reported bug case. I can find that for you for tracking.

12. j_chai

j_chai

I currently don't have a case number, but I'll post it here if I get one.

MelvMay likes this.
  13. j_chai

j_chai

So in the end I never received a case number, but it seems to be fixed on Unity 2022.1.0 and 2021.2.13?
    Also heard that fix is coming for Unity 2020 and 2019
    (The bugfix seems to not be referenced in the changelog though)

In the meantime, the staff I got in touch with suggested either
    1. Turning Use Micro Sleep for Thread Yield Off
    2. Turning Multithreaded Rendering Off

Both fixed the freezing issue, but it brings other problems for my project.
    Might be useful for someone else though.

tjmaul likes this.
  14. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

I'm not part of 3D physics but if your case was accepted as a duplicate then you should've got an email reply which gives you the case it's a duplicate of.

15. j_chai

j_chai

I've looked around my inbox for relevant information, but as far as I've checked, I never received any information regarding any case number, be it a new one or a duplicate.

16. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Oh I hadn't took in that you'd got the information on a forum, sorry. In my head I had assumed you'd been in contact with QA.

I guess then the case hasn't been looked at yet by QA as you'd normally get a rejected, duplicate or accepted email.

If you know the title you used then I could search for it if you're still interested in tracking/finding. If not, good look with your project.

17. j_chai

j_chai

I might be a bit paranoid here but I think the NDA disallows me to post things on private forum to a public forum.
    Could I message you instead?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2022
  18. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

You can but I'm asking for a case number. That doesn't expose it to the public and is only internal unless the case has been made public.

I have to go to an internal-only system to search for it.

Feel free to DM me if you want though. Also note that I am not a 3D physics dev but I can obviously ask a 3D physics dev to comment for you.