Search Unity

Possibility of being sued "Cube Runner" vs "Ramp Runner"?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FPSyndicate, Apr 28, 2012.

1. FPSyndicate

FPSyndicate

So.. im working on a game for the iPhone and Android that involves a little ball going forward under your complete control dodging and jumping off of little ramps. It's called Ramp Runner. There's gonna be at least six different modes with special abilities and stuff.

I'm wondering if The Cube Runner guys could sue me or what have you for having a similar name, and a *somewhat* similar game. I did not try to copy them at all, and this is just a ridiculously simple game thats really addicting (or so i've been told).

Will i be fine calling it Ramp Runner? or should i change the name just to be safe, and if so, I'd gladly take any suggestions you have.

Heres an example i put online:

http://fpsyndicate.webs.com/ramprunner.htm

It'll be finished this summer so i have some time, but i just wanna know how safe the name would be.

Thanks!!:)

2. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

None

3. adaman

adaman

Call it Ramp Roller.

4. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

call it ramp runner

5. adaman

adaman

Call it Run Ramper.

6. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Call it Ram Humper

7. FPSyndicate

FPSyndicate

sweet. My brother is doin the artwork for it and was kinda freaking out about that. I didn't think we would have a problem, but we're having legal troubles with our other game anyways so we're checking just to be safe :)

8. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Yeah, but then it becomes a Jeff Minter game.

9. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

IMHO, you have no problem with either the game or the name.

Had Cube Runner trademarked their game then you *may* have had issues, but only in so much that if they decided to play hard-ball you might have had to get a court ruling on it.

As for the game, from the little I've seen they are two very different concepts (cube runner avoid the cubes, ramp runner aim for the ramps), that share a similar visual presentation, that is not unique or have any identifiable IP. So no problem there, but then IANAL.

However I do think 'Ramp Runner' is a bit of a poor name. I know many games like to use this 'simple' naming type method (e.g. Temple Run), but to me it does your game (or rather its potential) a disservice. It needs more panache to it, more excitement. Something like 'Reckless' or 'Reckless Ramp Jumper', use a thesaurus and see what interesting, dynamic words, especially adjectives you can find that fit with the game.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  10. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Owh my goodness!

a) You still post

and

b) That is one scary looking guy, with some awesome game titles.

11. Haledire

Haledire

12. Duskling

Duskling

Fantastic game by the way.

I would make the movement less smooth though. You need to be able to turn on a whim.

13. FPSyndicate

FPSyndicate

Thanks for all the feedback, as i said, i never thought we would have a problem, but my artist is freaking out. I'll think about a catchier title, but i want something memorable because this is a mobile game.

And as for the smoothness, ill up the turning a bit, but this game is to be controlled by the tilting of a mobile device so it adds a completely different aspect to the game. Along with that, the slow turning makes it harder to dodge some ramps making you bounce off easier. Its supposed to be seemingly easy but annoying so it becomes addicting Also the different modes are gonna add their own aspects to it

14. modular

modular

There is no a problem from the moment you set a different name and different logos/trademarks.

But in every other case a "catchy" name will make you stand out on your own, do whatever you like just throwing ideas. :)

15. justinlloyd

justinlloyd

Huge personal and professional workload keeping me very busy.

16. ShadoX

ShadoX

Probably none.. unless that Cube game is awfully popular and the guys/gilrs who made it have copyrighted it and whatever else legal stuff they can do to make sure that none of it gets.. well, copied or stolen.. so the chances of that happening are pretty much 0.