Search Unity

Posable Duck

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Alec, Apr 25, 2008.

1. Alec

Alec

Well I've been working on character models for a while and have almost made a 1/2 finished posable which I will eventually animate and put In my game! :D
    I'd also like to mention that I'm 13 so don't expect the world.

Here's some pics

Bone structure (simple armature)

Full character (no texures)

2. AaronC

AaronC

Lookin good mate, and dont underestimate yourself just because of your age, Your born more evolved than us old farts, and you're starting a lot younger than most of us, so you'll probably take to this piece of cake!

Just a point regarding making bones, see how the ones splitting off at the neck are both pointing the same way? try and make them symetrical, so the thicker part of both is near the middle. Hope that makes sense!

AC

3. Jessy

Jessy

I think that's a really good start. However, I don't see any reason for the head section of the mesh to be so dense. If it looks like that because you did a Boolean operation with the eyeballs, then you should realize that such an operation isn't necessary. You can either create new spheres while in edit mode, or, if you make the spheres while in object mode, you can combine them with the rest of the mesh using CTRL-J. That way, you'll get some performance benefit, as described here:

http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Manual/Optimizing Graphics Performance.html

If, on the other hand, you made it complex in order to have colorful rings around the eyes, then you should be using a painted texture map instead of trying to shape a material of a certain color using polygons.

Good luck!

4. Alec

Alec

Thanks!

5. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Hi Alec!

Nice Character.

When adding bones to a character you always start at the hip. The hip is the base for all movement.

You can see a good animation setup here: www.jefflew.com
    There is a 30 min free tutorial part, where you can at least see, how a humanoid character is set up. There are also free character models on the page. The dvds are great by the way. If you can, get them.

Just keep up practicing and youll get your game running soon.

Cheers

Frank

6. Alec

Alec

Thanks for that!

I was just wondering, Frank, is your a avatar your creation??

7. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

No Problem.

Yes it is. Here you go ;)
    I dont like the Legs anymore. I am going to change them someday in the near future. Its going to be part of my upcoming game.

Attached Files:

8. Jessy

Jessy

Attached Files:

9. KlaRo115

KlaRo115

Nice Character! :)
    Here's something of my creation:

Attached Files:

10. Alec

Alec

Nice! isn't that for your fps?

11. Alec

Alec

What did you use to create it??

12. Alec

Alec

Ok I've been working on a few more things mainly legs!

pic!

13. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

I am using cinema 4d for modelling and photoshop for texturing.

14. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

dude, I'm 10 and I'm using it. not that I'm better than you, cuz im not.but you really should spend time on the face of the duck. and you also said "posable"? waht does that mean? you could pose it differently? nice job man, and keep it up

15. nickavv

nickavv

Right, boomaster, when he said posable he meant that its rigged with an armature that he can use to pose and animate. :)

16. Alec

Alec

By being "posable" I can upload it for people to download and create their own animations and the reason the face is so dense was that I was experimenting with how vertexes can be manipulated to create detailed things.

17. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

cool. when do you expect to release the beta? just wondering. and do you do car models?

18. Alec

Alec

yeah I do car models and the beta won't be out for quite some time as the art team (i'm lead art and creator) is still doing the city

19. boomaster_legacy

boomaster_legacy

ok thanks i was just looking for people to do a nice car model for a driving simulator im doing for my own entertainment. :)