Search Unity

Portions of text not rendered, randomly, on Blackberry Z10

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by WurrealGames, Sep 22, 2013.

1. WurrealGames

WurrealGames

I'm having problems with text not being rendered on the Blackberry Z10, using the Unity3D Blackberry plugin (non-Pro version). I'm using GUILayout.Label inside OnGUI to display text. This has worked perfectly for iOS and Android, and works some of the time for Blackberry, but I sometimes find portions of the text are not rendered at all, leaving large blank spaces in the text.

$IMG_00000025.png

The attached screenshot shows the problem on the right-side, where there should be legible text filling the right-side area, rather than the only the odd character (it's as if huge blocks of the text just don't display). The same problem has occurred randomly for the other text, like the text on buttons.

This doesn't happen in the web player, or for an Android or iOS build. Is this a bug in the Blackberry plugin, perhaps? I'd appreciate any suggestions as to the cause or solution to this problem.

By the way, is there a way to view the print/debug.log statements output from Unity C# code in a window, much like logcat for Android? I can't find any information about that, after much searching, and may be useful in figuring out what is going on.

Thanks!

2. PuneetK

PuneetK

Here is how to see the log
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/bb10-debugging.html

Sorry I don't know about your other issues.

A bit off topic but I see you have a scrollbar to the right of your scene. Does it work on the mobile? For me, the scroll bar only works when you drag the ACTUAL bar and not the contents of the scrollbox, as you would want to. But it works on the computer fine

3. WurrealGames

WurrealGames

Thanks for the information about viewing the log. I came across that shortly after making the above post. Unfortunately there's nothing logged that would indicate any problem at all.

You're right, it normally only works if you drag the scroll bar itself. You need to code for the user to touch the screen, detect the swipe change and move the scroll bar position to move the contents, if the user swipes in that area.

Regarding the weirdness with the text, I tried reimporting all assets, using a different font with font data included, and it still happens.

I've found a few other postings that describe a similar problem, but they don't contain a solution either.

E.g. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/149300-Missing-characters-in-a-Dynamic-font

I'm going to try altering the settings of the font that I'm using to see if anything helps.

4. WurrealGames

WurrealGames

Switching the font over to Unicode, rather than Dynamic seems to have fixed the problem. Unfortunately this is going to force me to have several copies of the font at different font sizes, but at least it is a workaround.

Once I realized this, I did some additional searching and it looks like others have encountered this as mentioned on http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/439195/unity-412-dynamic-text-disappears.html.

This may be a more general problem, not restricted to BlackBerry.