Search Unity

porting iOS game to Andoid - what are the possible aspect ratios?

Discussion in 'Android' started by Velvety, May 11, 2013.

1. Velvety

Velvety

Hi,

I recently released my game OddBalls for iOS and built in Unity of course. I am now working on porting it to Android and I'm trying to find some stats about the various aspect ratios on this platform. So far I have not found a lot of definitive information. I think the possible aspect ratios are as follows:

• 5:4
    • 4:3
    • 3:2
    • 16:10
    • 16:9

I am not sure if that list is complete or how common each of those ratios is. Does anyone have good information (up to date) about the various Android aspect ratios, resolutions and perhaps how prevalent they are with all the devices out there?

Lastly, if anyone has any good tips or gotchas I should watch out for when porting to Android, I would greatly appreciate it! I'm expecting minimal trouble in converting my game since all the assets and controls are already designed for mobile with iOS. I think the majority of the work will be in fiddling with the camera and GUI for different aspect ratios.

Thanks in advance! :D

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I just write aspect independent code, it's easy enough when you get the hang of it. Use percentages, get screen bounds, that sort of thing. Saves a lot of bother, perhaps its worth giving that a look too?

3. Agent_007

Agent_007

Android doesn't have any limited aspect ratio list. e.g. you can run Android on Chromebook Pixel which has resolution of 2560×1700 which means aspect ratio of ~1,50588..., but the far ends are most likely 1:1 (certain square screens, like BlackBerry Q10) and 2.33:1 (Philips Cinema 21:9 TVs).