Search Unity

Porting from iOS to Windows

Discussion in 'Windows' started by haggis, Nov 2, 2013.

1. haggis

haggis

I have just been asked to port one of my apps from iOS to Windows. I am currently on a Macbook Pro 2009 running OSX with Unity Pro. To port the app over to windows would I be correct in assuming the following basic steps:

To switch platforms to the Unity Windows Store or Windows Phone, I would first have to:

1. Install 64bit Windows Pro 8 on a partition on my laptop (or a separate PC).
    2. Install Windows version of Unity.
    3. Get a Windows license and install Windows Phone SDK 8.
    4. Save current OSX Unity project to a shared drive and then open with Unity in Windows - Will that work?
    5. Fix any errors (something tells me there may be a lot!).
    6. Build and run.

Any advice before I get started would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Pretty much what you said, but there won't be many errors I had very little trouble. One thing to watch out for is public string[] whatever (or any array exposed to the editor) if you get issues replace then all with List<string> or whatever type. Mine compiled but crashed when running and this was the cause. You know you can use your unity pro licence on windows though so you should be fine.

Do a windows store build first, easier to get working, as windows phone I found I had to do a lot of little optimisations, though if it runs on an iPhone already you'll be fine.

Thanks,

Jon

3. haggis

haggis

Cheers Jon that's a great help.

Don

4. Darjamfar

Darjamfar

I only get errors from the plugin folder, so if you have plugins for iOS they probably will cause build problems. Just delete them.

5. Jmonroe

Jmonroe

So far I have not needed windows Pro 8, only the Basic edition. I dont know if Pro is needed but 64 bit definitely.

6. haggis

haggis

Thanks guys. The plugins I have are iOS specific so I realise I would have to get the Windows equivalent which is fine.

Does anyone know if my mid 2009 Macbook Pro will be up to the job of running Windows Pro 8 on bootcamp? I don't see why not but not tried yet.

7. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

You'll be fine, but it will be a little slow, just be patient, I used parallels at first on a Mac Air 2011 edition, and it was okay ish.

8. Jodon

Jodon

I have a Macbook 2009 and I've read that it does not support Windows 8 (Bootcamp 4.x?) by default. I managed to get around it by installing Windows 7 then upgrade to Windows 8, but you cannot use the Bootcamp 4.x drivers (the only one that's relevant that doesn't work is the webcam I believe).

9. sumitsharma

sumitsharma

It takes just four hours to port Untapped from iOS to Windows Phone. The points you written here are absolutely correct go ahead with it.