Search Unity

Portfolio Feedback

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JaredMerritt, Jun 13, 2016.

1. JaredMerritt

JaredMerritt

Heya ladies and gents,

I've created my portfolio site. Haven't added all my projects yet, but any feedback on aesthetics etc would be greatly appreciated!

http://jmerritt.uk/

Thanks,

Jared

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

The text scroll in for 'my portfolio' is delayed quite a bit. at least 5 seconds. Anybody scrolling down immediately will not see it.
    The very top left information reads Mobile: Available for clients - then email.
    Does that mean you are available for mobile development? Maybe spelling that out would be a better presentation.

Under 3D modeling
    "With a variety of experience in planar and sculpted modelling"
    I've never heard of planar modeling and I've been modeling over 15 years. Does this mean box modeling or polygonal modeling or poly modeling?

Under netcode
    "I am able to bring once single-player only titles to life in multiplayer,"
    Maybe consider changing to "I am able to convert/update single-player only titles...

I might be a little thick headed so this might be a result of that - but I really don't get the game design section at all. It reads like someone trying to sell me a car, kinda grounded in reality but with a lot of fluff added in to get you in the door.

Portfolio section is very nice. Order from most impressive to least impressive, top to bottom when you add in the top 6-8 projects you've worked on. And leave out all projects that don't show off your ability with the final result being high quality.
    In other words - don't add any projects you worked on that turned out only marginally good. Those will make the viewer question your consistency. Prospective clients won't care if you had a successful (released) project back when you were 16 years old if the final product isn't a quality product. And don't show any school assignments/projects - unless they were award winners in a indie jam or something.

IMO - I would take off the personal photo on the site. Some people might pass on hiring you because they don't like brown hair, or people who wear tuxedos - or whatever. Know what I mean?

Overall - I like the site - it's modern html5 - ie - looks nice and functions well.

JaredMerritt likes this.
  3. ToolbeltTechnology

ToolbeltTechnology

The layout looks good on PC but when I checked on mobile your name tag takes up lots of screenspace. I would recommend keeping the backcolour consistent, either choosing black or white. Having both doesn't look right, plus if it's consistent the text will be more legible since you have a consistent text that works with the backcolour.

4. JaredMerritt

JaredMerritt

Thank you both, theANMATOR2b planar modelling is the technical term for polygonal modelling, but thank you for the other suggestions, I'll get to work fixing them right away!

ToolbeltTechnology I'll do some more testing on mobile, it was something I overlooked. As for the black and white, I'll see how it looks, the contrast helps to break up different sections, but if it looks better I'll definitely change it.

Thanks guys/gals!