Search Unity

Portfolio APP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Roykineez, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Roykineez

Roykineez

Hello Everyone,

I have just completed a personal project of mine, which was to create an application that could be used on mobile devices as sort of an interactive portfolio to be used to show of 3d models to well basically anyone you'd like
    to show what you do. Now i was wondering, if this might actually be something you guys would consider to be useful for instance to take to a game conference or something like that and show your work to potential employers for example.

If you think so, then what functionality would you like to see in such an application ?

Here are 2 youtube video demonstrations of my app.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fJA4wR5ChY&context=C4acb672ADvjVQa1PpcFMInjXsy_1FaxoZ-YqBMSqsKbQ2CkoPqho=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnETaFVYiTU

The controls are actually better than you might get from these videos, but that is because it's a little hard to record and control the objects at the same time ;-)

2. tigerfoot

tigerfoot

Actually, i think it's a nice idea. How does one adds models? Just by adding them to an app folder or needs Unity to compile his portofolio?

What if some of user's work is too high-poly? Can he add images of that model?

3. Roykineez

Roykineez

At this point, the user would still be required to install Unity to compile his portfolio .. I am thinking of ways to work around this, but this is actually rather complicated, i might choose to make it able for the user to stream assets, but this would still require the user to use Unity to put this package together.. Another option would be to stream objects in OBJ format, this would be the most viable choice that would not require Unity for making changes to the portfolio .. As for static images, this could simply be achieved by putting the image on a plane object and make this part of the portfolio..

Any helpful advice on streaming objects or other options, would be greatly appreciated.