Search Unity

Port game from android to IOS

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by valdelievre, Jan 8, 2013.

1. valdelievre

valdelievre

Hello,

I have finally uploaded my game on playstore and i would like to built and upload it on appstore. However, it looks like i gonna need to spend a substantial amount of money to do so.

1) Buy 400$ Unity Plugin for iOS
    2) Buy a mac (Mac mini looks to be the cheapest approach )
    3) Buy an Iphone to test the game
    4) Pay 100$/year to iOS to be able to upload your game on appstore

I was wondering if i could avoid paying for step 2) ( Buy a Mac ) and be able to build my game on a virtualized PC running a iOS distribution? I have read some post and it looks forbidden but would it work ?
    If Yes, Would i then be able to Upload my game on appstore ?

Another question, would i be able to build my Android game on a MAC too ?

Thank you very much

2. mtoivo

mtoivo

I'd suggest getting the real thing, look for used machines, should be plenty of them out there capable of running newest OS X (some of the mac-folks tend to always get the newest toys and dump old ones into ebays). If you choose the virtualization route, make sure you get the latest OS X (10.8 a.k.a. mountain lion). You'll need to get Unity running in it as well, but if you do all the testing on the PC, you only need it to export the XCode project on the OS X side.

Apple strictly forbids using OS X on any other than their own platform, so you're on your own if XCode or Mac App Store (=from where you install software on Mac, especially XCode all the updates) starts to nag about your platform. Every new OS X update probably tries to undermine the hackintosh-approaches, so be careful with those. Depending of the country you're living in, local laws might override the Apple EULAs, so as long as you get a legal copy of OS X, you should be ok.

Sure thing, Unity on the Win/Mac doesn't differ that much, it's just the iOS export that is not available on the PC-side.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Buy an iPod touch instead.

--Eric

4. valdelievre

valdelievre

Thank you very much mvtoivo.
    I think i will get a second hand Mac and will migrate all my dev on this machine since i dont want to Build on PC and MAC every time i change my code.

Thanks Eric too, i will go on this way

Cheers guys