Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets Populous 3 style real-time deformable spherical world engine

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by elasto, Oct 27, 2018.

1. elasto

elasto

I have created a framework allowing a Pop 3 style interactive deformable globe. I may release it through the asset store or I'd be quite open to collaborators helping me take it forwards into an actual game. Please message me for details.

The engine itself is efficient - world deformation and unit pathfinding happen on background threads - but needs further work invested to be lightweight enough to run on mobile devices or WebGL. Unit logic runs via my own implementation of behaviour trees which can run asynchronous nodes.

Here are a few gifs for illustration:

Camera control:

Camera3.gif

Real-time deforming terrain

RT1.gif RT2.gif

Autonomous minions:

Building2.gif

Minion battles:

Battle1.gif

Please post here or message me for more info

- Phil

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  2. elasto

elasto

I have added networked multiplayer based on Mirror

It can be implemented either as Host-Client or authoritative Server-Client.

Networking is highly efficient. I am employing an approach similar to that in Planetary Annihilation whereby waypoints and actions are sent from the server to the client with movement processed locally, bringing all the upsides of minimal network traffic and smooth movement without the downsides that, say, a lockstep model would bring.

All objects are pooled and reused whether networked or client-only.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
    JFI66 and Antypodish like this.
  3. elasto

elasto

I am not a big believer in 'god classes', instead logic is parcelled up into discrete, loosely coupled components that interact via a highly efficient messaging system server and client-side:

Minion_Parameters.png

I am still open to people joining me to take this project further forwards either into an Asset Store asset or a full released game.

4. elasto

elasto

Shaman spellcasting implemented:

5. elasto

elasto

Adding more polish and functionality.

Here's a trial tutorial level:

6. elasto

elasto

Fog of War added:

fog of war.gif

7. elasto