Search Unity

Tile Map Populate tilemap-palette with custom TileBase class?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by Kirsche, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Kirsche

Kirsche

If you drag a sprite atlas onto the tilemap-palette Unity automatically generates the required tile-assets. However I'd like Unity to use my custom TileBase-inherited class for all tiles, so I can add a few useful properties like SurfaceType.

Is there anyway to tell Unity to use my custom tile class?

2. BlackHoleTracer

BlackHoleTracer

Yes, write your class (inherited from TileBase or Tile) and add to code of this class such lines:

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    2. // The following is a helper that adds a menu item to create a MyTile Asset
    3.     [MenuItem("Assets/Create/MyTile")]
    4.     public static void CreateMyTile()
    5.     {
    6.         string path = EditorUtility.SaveFilePanelInProject("Save My Tile", "New My Tile", "Asset", "Save My Tile", "Assets");
    7.         if (path == "")
    8.             return;
    9.     AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(ScriptableObject.CreateInstance<MyTile>(), path);
    10.     }
    11. #endif
    These lines will create new menu item (in Unity Editor) here: Assets->Create->MyTile. Click this and you will get your Tile.

See Unity example here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Tilemap-ScriptableTiles-Example.html
    And you can use shorter alternative - CreateAssetMenuAttribute ( https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/CreateAssetMenuAttribute.html )

3. tgaldi

tgaldi

Is there a better solution for this? It seems cumbersome to have to create a new Tile object each time you want to add properties to a new sprite you want to make into a tile, as well as individually drag those new objects into the tile palette.

Let's say I create a WallTile that has a property that says this tile is impassable. Every time I have a new sprite that represents a wall I would have to create another WallTile scriptable object, add the sprite asset to it, then drag it into the correct tile palette.

Is there a way to customize the tile palette inspector to assign tile types to tiles already added to the palette?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  4. ChuanXin

ChuanXin

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately, this is not possible now. We will improve the Tile Palette to have this functionality.

P10tr3k and tgaldi like this.
  5. P10tr3k

P10tr3k

I'm also looking for that. It would be very nice feature :)