Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Popular games what were made via Unity free edition on the Google play or AppStore

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mk22, Sep 17, 2015.

1. mk22

mk22

Hey,

I'm wondering if there are some popular games on the Google Play or App Store what were made in Unity free edition.
    Game made via free edition is quite big ( I mean size of final file of the game) even if it's simple. I think it's big disadvantage.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Oh joy. One of these threads again.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  3. mk22

mk22

@Ryjah what is your problem? I asked simple question.

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

A question that has been answered multiple times. If you perform a simple Google search you'll find the answer. The reality is that most games that achieve popularity will become successful enough that they cannot stay Unity Free.

My "problem" is that these threads are basically complaint threads centered around the idea that a featured is a must have for Unity Free and should be included. I'll give you props for it not being about the splash screen or dark skin though.

5. Ostwind

Ostwind

Free and Pro both make same size games.

6. mk22

mk22

I don't talk about big production with big budget.
    I'm looking for games with simple gameplay hmmm.. for example 'Stick Hero' ( https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ketchapp.stickhero)

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Outside of third world countries if your business is not making that $100,000 mark then chances are you won't remain in business for very long. This becomes especially true once you go beyond one or two developers.

8. mk22

mk22

Show me one indie developer who has that amount of money at the beginning.

So you try to say there aren't any popular production made via free edtion of Unity?

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

No, I'm stating they won't remain with Unity Free.

10. goat

goat

I think the closest that achieved that and be true to the indie meaning is MikaMobile with there Plants vs Zombies title but that's been quite a while now in SW terms.

11. elmar1028

elmar1028

Free/Pro doesn't determine the size of your build.

If there were popular Unity free edition games then they're most likely to be top grossing. Which in turn means that devs' would buy Pro, which is why we don't see any successful Unity Free games ;)

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  12. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

You can answer this question yourself. Although when people show up "out of nowhere" posting about their newly released games I sometimes wonder if they all were actually made with Unity... still for your answer this works:

Go to the showcase forum sometime around say January 1st and move forward in time check out oh maybe the first 500 mobile games you see posted. If you look at Android games you can see the # of downloads. You'll have to decide how many downloads makes for a popular game. It is a great exercise because it also gives you a glimpse into the reality of making Indie games and what kind of success people are seeing. And knowing that will help you to set a realistic expectation for any games you decide to create.

Kiwasi and Ryiah like this.
  13. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

@BoredMormon
    I heard PondWars was pretty popular/successful.
    I guess it depends on who you are talking to and how you classify popularity.

Kiwasi likes this.
  14. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Succesful in terms of being a complete game that people enjoy playing, yes. Succesful in terms of producing enough revenue to buy me lunch once it twice a week, no.

GarBenjamin, Ryiah and theANMATOR2b like this.
  15. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Sounds like success to me.
    Its all building towards eventual other successes.

Kiwasi likes this.
  16. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Ha. I didn't even realise we had changed threads. I thought I was responding to this.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-unity-free-games.351794/

Anyway, the original point in every other post related to the topic still stands. If you've heard of it through any means other then the Unity forums or your mates basement, its been successful enough to make more then 100K a year. Thus it requires pro.

Its not that great games can't be made with free. Its just that great games don't stay under the revenue threshold for very long.

I'm currently converting it to an MO. (Don't shoot me, note there is only one M). This should be successful in terms of increasing my skill as a developer. As far as the Pond Wars community goes, I think the chances of two players logging on at the same time to play against each other are slim to none :).

GarBenjamin and Ryiah like this.
  17. Meltdown

Meltdown

Free and Pro editions now release exactly the same output and have exactly the same engine features.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.