Search Unity

PopcornFX - Optimized Particle Effects Plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by PopcornFX, Feb 13, 2015.

1. pexoid

pexoid

Allright! Voted already.

About mesh building, I haven't yet build anything really complex, but I would guess baking loads of boxes wouldn't take too long. This would happen when level is procedurally generated, so it is not needed in 'blink of an eye' ;)

Events in PopcornFX editor have this 'broadcast' tick and the script reference states:
    EventName.broadcast(int condition) Experimental
    Like 'trigger', except it also forces broadcasting of the event to the game engine, as long as the event's 'Broadcast' property is enabled.

Is there a way to catch these events at Unity side? As it is experimental I would guess 'not yet'.

Will attribute samplers be dynamic? Like in evolver script sample it and get the most recent data. If so, then texture sampler would be great way to feed 2d velocity field for example. Oh wait, found it in roadmap that it is in 'backlog'. Well I leave this 'question' here in case someone else is wondering the very same thing.

Have fun at Unite!

2. pexoid

pexoid

How can I set the effect I want to use when I add the PKFxFX in code (C#)?

Like:
    PKFxFX fx = gameObject.AddComponent<PKFxFX>();
    ???

3. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi @pexoid
    Attribute samplers will be dynamic indeed, but can't be sampled in evolver scripts, only in spawner scripts (you can store the sampled value in a field to use at evolve).
    The attribute samplers at evolve time is not planned yet, as you saw on the Trello.

To set the FX name, you need to assign PKFxFX.m_FxName to a path to the pkfx file relative to PackFx.
    So let's say your fx is in Assets/StreamingAssets/PackFx/Particles/level42/whale.pkfx, you need to do :

Code (csharp):
    1. PKFxFX fx = gameObject.AddComponent<PKFxFX>();
    2. fx.m_FxName = "Particles/level42/whale.pkfx";
    and eventually

Code (csharp):
    1. fx.m_PlayOnStart = true;

PopcornFX likes this.
  4. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@pexoid : So, I just put together a little script to build the scene mesh at run time.

Disclaimer for anyone who would like to use this
    : Rebuilding/reloading the scene mesh is a heavy process that requires to rebuild our internal k-d tree. This is slow. Absolutely not usable for dynamic collisions.
    Also, this won't work on mobile platforms. Thankyou.

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    3. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. public class RuntimeSceneMeshBuild : PKFxPackDependent {
    7.    private   List<GameObject>   m_ObjectsToSearch;
    8.    private   List<GameObject>   m_MeshObjects;
    9.    private string         m_OutputPath;
    11.    public bool   BuildAndLoadSceneMesh(List<GameObject> objectsToSearch, string outputPath)
    12.    {
    13.      m_ObjectsToSearch = objectsToSearch;
    14.      m_OutputPath = outputPath;
    15.      if (m_MeshObjects != null)
    16.        m_MeshObjects.Clear();
    17.      else
    18.        m_MeshObjects = new List<GameObject>();
    20.      foreach (GameObject o in m_ObjectsToSearch)
    21.      {
    22.        FillMeshObjectsWithChildren(o);
    23.      }
    24.      BuildMeshes();
    25.      if(!PKFxManager.LoadPkmmAsSceneMesh(m_OutputPath))
    26.      {
    27.        Debug.LogError("[SceneMeshBuilder] failed loading scene mesh " + m_OutputPath + ".");
    28.        return false;
    29.      }
    30.      return true;
    31.    }
    33.    private void   FillMeshObjectsWithChildren(GameObject o)
    34.    {
    35.      foreach (Transform t in o.transform)
    36.      {
    37.        FillMeshObjectsWithChildren(t.gameObject);
    38.      }
    40.      if (o.GetComponent<MeshFilter>() != null)
    41.      {
    42.        m_MeshObjects.Add(o);
    43.      }
    44.    }
    46.    private void BuildMeshes()
    47.    {
    48.      string       outputPkmm = m_OutputPath;
    49.      if (outputPkmm.Length <= 0)
    50.      {
    51.        Debug.LogError("[SceneMeshBuild] Invalid mesh path");
    52.        return;
    53.      }
    54.      PKFxManager.Startup();
    55.      PKFxManager.LoadPack(PKFxManager.m_PackPath + "/PackFx");
    56.      PKFxManager.SceneMeshClear();
    57.      foreach (GameObject obj in m_MeshObjects)
    58.      {
    59.        Mesh   mesh = obj.GetComponent<MeshFilter>().sharedMesh;
    61.        if (!PKFxManager.SceneMeshAddMesh(mesh, obj.transform.localToWorldMatrix))
    62.        {
    63.          Debug.LogError("[SceneMeshBuild] failed to load mesh " + obj.name + "");
    64.        }
    65.      }
    66.      int     primCount = PKFxManager.SceneMeshBuild(outputPkmm);
    67.      if (primCount < 0)
    68.        Debug.LogError("[SceneMeshBuild] failed to save scene mesh " + this.name + "");
    69.    }  
    70. }
    You only need to call BuildAndLoadSceneMesh() with a list of GameObjects and an arbitrary output path for the pkmm file holding the collision mesh info.

The script will search the GameObjects and their children recursively looking for MeshFilter components, write the collision mesh data to the file specified by outputPath (relative to the PackFx), unload any scene mesh and load the newly generated one.

Cheers,

5. pexoid

pexoid

Thanks for the example. Is there any updates around the corner?

Tested switching pre-built collision models made out of 2k boxes in run-time and it gave +6ms spike on my system. In case anyone was wondering.

We encountered something I would consider a major bug. When Soft particles are enabled, the whole scene is rendered twice, shadow maps and everything (or almost everything). Draw calls approximately doubled. Or is it a feature?

chrismarch likes this.
  6. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi @pexoid ,
    Yes, there's an update coming up. Provided everything goes as expected, it should be available by the end of next week.

What you're describing is actually a well-documented caveat on enabling depth-based advanced options (see here: http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php...FxRenderingPlugin_component#Advanced_Settings).

Unfortunately, as a native plugin we are a bit stuck here. We need a depth texture of the scene and it's the only way of getting it that we know of. We are looking into ways of making this cheaper, but if you have a suggestion on how we could make it better, we're all ears.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  7. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

Looking forward to the update, I cant use popcorn in VR yet, too slow... I've tried all the demo assets.

8. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@HeadTrip : What do you mean by "too slow"?
    If you're talking about the lag between the head tracking and the particles movement, it's worth noting this is a bug only happening with the Oculus plugin that doesn't happen with Unity 5.1 native VR (supported in the upcoming patch, currently awaiting asset store validation). The tradeoff of native VR being that it doesn't support soft particles or distortions, yet.

9. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Partial update day, yay! \o/

So, the desktop and android plugins have been validated by the asset store team, the iOS plugin should hopefully come sooner or later.

This is a patch release, as hinted by the version number : 2.5p1

Here is the changelog :
    - Fixed Unity 5.1's native VR double update bug (soft particles and distortions still not available)
    - Fixed empty log file bug.
    - Added global time multiplier for slow-mo/fast forwarding particles.
    In the PKFxRenderingPlugin component's advanced panel.
    - Sync with PopcornFX Editor 1.8.2 (fixes issues with mesh sampling).
    That's the most important part, make sure you update both your PopcornFX editor and the plugin and everything is going to be alright.

Now, there's a couple new FX packs coming up, too : the Warfare Pack SD and Warfare Pack HD.
    They will deprecate the current warfare packs 1&2, but there will be upgrade options.

The Warfare Pack SD is actually the WP1 and WP2 merged together with a lower level of detail added for every FX.
    The Warfare Pack HD is the same as SD but with a higher level of detail added for every effect.

Edit : Oh, and both WPSD and WPHD include a free plugin (locked down to signed effects, so it will be compatible with the effects from the WP's and the Discovery Pack).

It will be possible to upgrade from WP1 or WP2 to WPSD for the price difference between the 2 and from WPSD to WPHD for the price difference, too.

Cheers,

10. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

For the curious, here is the video showcasing the upcoming Warfare Pack :

11. MornFall

MornFall

Hello All,
    I need help with learning PopCornFX. I am ready to pay for some 1on1 training And/or PayPerEffects type deal as I need a lot of effects for my game. Please send me a private message if interested.

12. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

@Feydwin : We can sometimes provide effects outsourcing, please write to us at contact@popcornfx.com for this type of deal if you haven't already.

Cheers,

13. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hi there!
    Just a quick message to inform you here that we'll be at Unite Boston. We'll be at the Asset Store booth and generally around and about over the course of those 3 days.

Also, the PopcornFX Unity plugin is a finalist in the Unity Awards 2015!
    You can vote for us in the Asset Store and/or Community categories here https://unity3d.com/awards/2015.

Cheers,

14. MornFall

MornFall

Voted in and Congratz !!! Still believe popcornfx is the best particle plugin out there, with an outstanding support.

ArtyBoomshaka likes this.
  15. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hey @Feydwin , thanks!
    We do try our best to provide the best tech and support. :)

16. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

And yet another update to notify that our new Warfare Packs got accepted on the Asset Store!

You'll find them here :
    - HD version : http://u3d.as/hWr
    - SD version : http://u3d.as/hWu

Cheers,

17. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

A quick message to thank everyone who came see us at Unite Boston and to announce a couple things:

1) We are going to deprecate the Warfare Packs 1 & 2 as they are superseded by the Warfare Packs SD (which combines them).
    This means they will still be available for download to people who bought them but the upgrade system won't let us keep the upgrade from the deprecated packs to the newer Warfare Pack SD.
    So if you want to upgrade, you have until the end of October 2015 to do so after which it will be too late.

2) We are working on a new version of the Cartoon Pack to add more effects and make them usable with a free plugin (locked down to signed effects, akin to the Discovery and Warfare Packs SD and HD) which will be included in the package.

3) The recurring problems related to package imports will be fixed in Unity 5.3!

18. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hello there,

I'm pleased to announce the update for our Cartoon Pack is now live!
    The new pack contains 30+ customizable effects and the latest version of the free plugin (allows to play our signed effects).

Also v2.6 of the plugin will be ready for release soon, it will include some graphics fixes related to image effects and flares, among other things.

Mazak likes this.
  19. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

such a long way for this to be on sale. But, it is the Windows version, not the iOS one, ... , sad face :D

spryx likes this.
  20. IAmJustADog

IAmJustADog

I tried to post the question on the answers System. Clean Talk will not let me.

I have two cameras.
    One for the world, one for the weapons.
    The world has FX and weapons.
    Both camera have the Fx Plugin Rendering Component.
    The World camera records everything except the weapon. Nevertheless, the weapons FX are unfortunately displayed.
    The weapons camera records only the gun, but the World FX are unfortunately displayed.

Now, how do I set the Layer?

21. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Hey @Heia Samahi,

Weird, we have no trace of your attempt at posting on the answerhub, we're investigating.

Unfortunately, what you're trying to do is not possible at the moment. You can only chose whether to have particles rendered in a camera or not.

What we could do is add the possibility to filter by effect (NOT by effect instance).
    This could also probably be done with the upcoming custom shaders.

Cheers,

22. IAmJustADog

IAmJustADog

@booyah

In the first attempt to write the question I had overlooked that the captcha has a timeout. (I had confirmed it and reread my text)
    From the second experiment (with satisfied Captcha) I always got the answer I was Blacklisted. To land after only a mistrial of Captcha on the blacklist is unhelpful ^^

That's too bad that these great FX plugin does not support Layer.
    I hope that this support will come.
    But well, still a great plugin! (btw, a note in Asset Store or somewhere a compatibility list would be great ^^)

23. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Ok, I reported that to our IT guy, thanks for the feedback.

I added a card for this on our Trello and the appropriate field to our feature list.
    Thanks! :)

IAmJustADog likes this.
  24. majlo

majlo

PS4 and X1 support?

25. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

No, not at this time, Unity doesn't support native rendering on those platforms, yet.

26. majlo

majlo

Oh I see, thanks.

I've noticed there is quite a demand for this feature on ps devnet forums. You should probably sing up to that thread and push Unity team from there if You haven't already, because you are missing out on few customers.

This plugin is a very professional peace of work, and it should be available on all major platforms.
    You hear Unity Guys? We need native rendering support on consoles!

Cheers!

27. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Oh yeah, we know. ^^
    Rumor has it that it should become available in a (relatively) near future, but I haven't heard anything official, yet.

Haha, thanks! :)
    May your voice be heard.

Edit: Ok, I just checked the forums and apparently they released a new version last week that should allow us to port the plugin. We'll have to look into that. :D

28. PeterB

PeterB

The instructions for the free Popcorn plugin aren't exactly a wonder of clarity. I quote:

1. Create a new fx pack at your Unity project's root folder, name it
    anything but "PackFx"."

NOWHERE is it stated how this is done. HOW do I create "a new fx pack" in my root folder? How?

29. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

For the purpose of thread clarity, I'll paste my reply to your email here :

I invite you to take a look at our online documentation for a more detailed explanation.
    The part you are inquiring about can be found here : http://wiki.popcornfx.com/index.php/Unity#Setup_From_A_New_PopcornFX_Project
    However, since you mentioned you were evaluating our product, I'm guessing you are using our Discovery Pack ?
    Please note this free version of the plugin won't allow you to play your own unsigned effects.

30. PeterB

PeterB

And I'll post my reply to your reply here:

"I'm well aware that the Discovery Pack is limited. I want to examine the quality of the example effects, specifically the world map.

I'm sorry, but the page you're referring to doesn't seem relevant to my question. How do I create a new fx pack? The instructions in the accompanying txt file don't really give any answer, nor can I find it on the page you're linking to (and which I've previously browsed)."

Or might it be that the instructions for the Discovery Pack are inaccurate, and that no new fx pack has to be created?

31. PeterB

PeterB

I just discovered that it's not necessary to download the editor – at least it doesn't seem so. All you need to do with the Discovery pack seems to be to add the PKFxRenderingPlugin to the camera, then create an empty new effect GameObject using the CreatePopcornFX submenu, and then drag the appropriate effect from the Particles folder in the StreamingAssets folder to the new effect.

Is this correct?

32. overthere

overthere

Yes thats right, the streamingassets folder contains the baked assets, as there already baked you don't need the editor.

33. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Indeed @overthere, thanks.
    There was a misunderstanding with Peter, here and we sorted out via email.

To be more clear :
    - None of our effects packs require our free editor or paid plugin to work.
    However they can be imported in our editor and modified but the modified effects require the paid plugin to play in Unity.
    - Our paid plugin plays any of our effects packs and can play effects exported with the PopcornFX editor.

Cheers! :)

PeterB likes this.
  34. PeterB

PeterB

Thanks for your speedy support, Booyah.

35. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Greetings all,

V2.6 of the plugin is now available on the store. Here is the changelog :

- Added PKFxFX.GetAttr(string) and integer overloads for the PKFxManager.Attribute class.
    - Added PKFxFX.IsPlayable().
    - Added possibility to overload the OnAudioSpectrum and OnAudioWaveform callbacks.
    - Added possibility to use Application.PersistentDataPath instead of the default Application.StreamingAssetsPath (useful for adding effects post-install).
    - Added support for Windows XP.
    - Moved rendering to the new command buffer interface (Unity >= 5.2). This fixes image effects bugs and lens flare layers bugs.
    - Changed the PopcornFX Settings menu. It's now a window exposing the individual effect killing, logging, PackFX location and rendering event settings.
    - Destroying an effect now calls StopFX().
    - Added a control button on PKFxFX components to force-reload attributes.
    - Fixed a crash when destroying the PKFxRenderingPlugin component of a scene and calling PKFxFX.KillEffect in the same frame.
    - Fixed native VR detection.
    - Fixed PNG loading on iOS (bug or crash depending on the version).

However a bug made it in this version for Unity up to 5.1 where a Debug class that should have been kept internal to PKFxManager is hiding UnityEngine.Debug for all the scripts.
    This has already been fixed, so if you're not using at least Unity 5.2, wait for v2.6p1 before updating the plugin.

Cheers,

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  36. pexoid

pexoid

Does this improve soft particles performance?

37. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

No, this doesn't impact soft particles' performance.

38. pexoid

pexoid

Bummer. Any progress with getting the depth buffer more efficiently that can be excepted in future update?

39. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Yup, currently working on it, actually. It's hopefully going to be available in the next patch release.

40. pexoid

pexoid

Don't know if you've noticed, but the distortion shader in Unity and PopcornFX Editor are quite different. I'd say Editor is doing it wrong.

41. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

They are?
    That's strange, Unity's should be an exact copy of the PopcornFX editor's one.
    Could you provide some screenshots to illustrate?

42. pexoid

pexoid

Wrong alarm! Looks like I've forgotten loop on in editor with infinite emitter. Now looking at just ONE particle they match. Sorry :) Though with values 127 and 128 there is still very very barely noticeable distortion, guess the zero point falls in 127.5.

43. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

What a relief. :)

Sounds about right, the values in the range 0..255 are remapped between -1..1, so 0 ends up being 255/2 = 127.5

44. jctz

jctz

We recently started evaluating this. We have a bare-minimum scene with just a camera with a PKFxRenderingPlugin behaviour attached to it. After creating an XCode build and deploying it to iOS, running the game crashes with the following:
    http://www.screencast.com/t/wjLOfosXacsd
    The function VRDevice_Get_Custom_PropIsPresent() is in assembly, with the access violation happening here:
    http://www.screencast.com/t/Lq8nRM6Tym

We're using:
    PopcornFX 2.5p1 (1.8.2.25705)
    Unity 5.2.3p1
    XCode 7.2
    iOS 9.2

We have a variety of devices: iPad Air 2, iPad 4th gen, iPhone 5s

Any ideas?

45. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

You need to update to 2.6. This was fixed in the latest version.

46. jctz

jctz

Oh sorry, our iOS plugin is 2.6 but our editor is still 2.5p1. I'll get that updated too and see if that helps.

47. jctz

jctz

Looking at the download page for the desktop plugin, it says the version number is 2.6 but when I import the package, the README.txt is unchanged (2.5p1). Is there really a 2.6 release of the desktop plugin? Do the desktop and iOS plugins have to be the same version to fix this bug?

48. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Yes, there really is a 2.6 release for the desktop plugin (we update all the platforms simultaneously to try and avoid such issues) and both versions need to match. Can you make sure you're not a victim of this import bug as well?

49. ArtyBoomshaka

ArtyBoomshaka

Greetings!

The long and overdue 2.7 update is coming!
    It's finally been submitted and will be available after the Asset Store team validates the update.

So, what to expect with v2.7? Here's the changelog:
    - New rendering pipeline, fully integrated with command buffers (Unity 5.2 and up). Includes retrieving of the scene's depth without resorting to an offline camera (paging @pexoid ) (Unity 5.0 and up).
    - Added support for distortion/soft particles in VR.
    - Added support for Android multi-threaded rendering (Unity 5.3+).
    - Depth texture now public.
    - Custom shaders (DX11, DX9, OpenGL/ES).
    - Sync with PopcornFX 1.9.0. Make sure to update your editors! Edit : And then upgrade your pre-existing effects!
    - Fixed PKFxManager's Debug class that was hiding Unity's in some versions of the plugin.
    - Fixed KillEffect's behaviour on trails.
    - Added TransformAllParticles() to apply a global transform on all particles (useful for floating origin setups).

Also, it's worth noting the mobile versions of the plugin now include desktop development libraries, to save mobile developers the cost of the desktop plugin.

A known bug surfaced in the mobile plugins : particles may not draw in cameras without a skybox.
    This will be fixed in a patch release.

Cheers,

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    overthere and PopcornFX like this.
  50. pexoid

pexoid

Ohhhhh YES! Is the gpu accelerated particles in?