Search Unity

Poor Unity 5.3.4 performance with Oculus Runtime 1.3.x

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by LostInTheMachine, Apr 14, 2016.

1. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

I'm curious as to why noone else seems to be having the same issues as me. I am getting roughly double the performance on my Bootcamp Win10 iMac + GTX 680M running the 0.8 runtime, versus my brand new kick ass Win 10 gaming rig with GTX 980 on the 1.3.x runtime. 80+fps versus ~40. The profiler tells me there's an awful lot of time wasted waiting for the GPU to sync.

Am I the only one?

I've freshly built a machine, and everything newly installed (several times just in case I made an error somewhere).

Capture.PNG

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  2. Dicethrower

Dicethrower

I'm having the exact same problem. Many people have reported it and I've yet to find a solution for it. Some people have reported this issue as far back as 2015, still no word from either Unity or Oculus on what's causing it and how to fix it. Just that it's GPU bound 'somehow'.

Right now I have a scene that runs 900+ fps(!) without oculus and goes between 72-75 fps with the oculus, still causing the occasional jitter. It's completely unacceptable, I can't optimize more out of it and I've got clients breathing down my neck. It seems as if the oculus plugin just waits as long as it needs to to ensure 75 fps and only then Unity is allowed to run any kind of code, causing the slight delay.

It doesn't matter which version/runtime/firmware I use, performance only gets worse. It also seems that timewarp is non-existent. My specs are i7-4770K, GTX 980 TI. Right now I'm using the 0.8 runtime with Unity 5.3.4 and the Oculus Utilities for Unity 5 V1.3.0.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
    wm-VR likes this.
  3. schooltoons

schooltoons

Both Oculus and Steam have stated that Apple needs to upgrade the GPU before their hardware can work with Mac. The failure of Apple to supply decent hardware or upgrade able hardware at a decent price is a decade long problem, this is just another example.

4. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

I hear you Dicethrower on the client front.

Thanks for the reply schooltoons, but I'm not concerned about the frame rate on my Mac, although it is somewhat ironic that my Mac (which doesn't have suitable hardware) is double the speed of my PC which is over and above the minimum spec.

I'd go as far as to say the Unity 5.3.4 with Oculus Runtime 1.3 is almost unusable. This really does need sorting out.

Wonder what the performance in Unreal is like atm?

5. Dicethrower

Dicethrower

Just to follow up. I've been doing some experimenting. It seems that NVIDIA control panel can come to the rescue. It did not (really) for me, but it might for you. Go to your NVIDIA control panel and set every possible 3D-setting to letting the 3D application decide. The problem is that NVIDIA sets prerendering to a default of 1, which obviously conflicts with the Oculus, since it needs to fetch each frame before sending it to the oculus, meaning it will sometimes have to wait for longer than 1 graphical frame to fetch it. Especially the Prerendered frames for Virtual Reality needs to be set to letting the application decide.

Like I said, it didn't work for me. I'm still experiencing heavy jitter and massive framerate drop. A scene running 900 fps really shouldn't drop to <75fps using the oculus. I agree that right now, the oculus 0.8 or 1.3 with DK2 is completely unusable.

6. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

I would encourage people to also post on the Oculus forums as well.

7. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

OK, I've just discovered something. If I select "Maximise on Play" before running then I get 75-77Fps, so go figure.

I'm guessing it shouldn't run faster than 75fps on the DK2 - so I suppose I'm happy enough with that outcome for now.

8. LostInTheMachine

LostInTheMachine

OK, so weirdly it's now running at 76-77 non maximised. It's never done that before. Spurious. I give up.

[Edit: I did install 5.3.4p3 and 5.4.0b14]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  9. ldouglas

ldouglas

Got the exact same problem here... Anybody found a solution to this? Installing the beta-release didn't solve the problem for me...

10. anagamedev

anagamedev

I'm having the same problem but worst ... The FPS drops from 200-300 to 2FPS. Anyone found a solution?