Search Unity

Bug Poor performance in brand new URP project in 2021.3.16f1 on macOS (Intel/Metal)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by nratcliff, Jan 23, 2023.

1. nratcliff

nratcliff

I noticed really poor performance after starting a new project in 2021.3 on a 2019 MacBook Pro (Intel, AMD 5500M). I assumed it was something weird in our setup so I created a completely new project and hit play on the empty SampleScene. I'm getting very choppy framerates between ~30-50 FPS and In the profiler I see that the majority of the frame is spent waiting for the graphics card (GFX.WaitForPresentOnGfxThread). Turning on or off vsync does not seem to change performance.

If I switch to OpenGL I see more consistent performance, and 90% of the frame is editor overhead.

upload_2023-1-23_16-55-58.png

For comparison: a new URP project in 2019.4 has some of the same spikiness but runs at a much higher framerate on Metal (~100 in the stats view).

upload_2023-1-23_17-3-37.png

What's going on here? Is there something I can do to fix this issue? It's really concerning to see such poor performance on both an empty scene and our very lightweight prototype project.

2. nratcliff

nratcliff

Forgot to include: I verified that the editor is running on the dedicated AMD 5500M by looking at the GPU usage history while running the game.

3. nratcliff

nratcliff

The issue seems to be resolved after updating from macOS Ventura 13.1 to 13.2. I am not really certain if the update fixed the issue though. It's possible there are 2 other things that resolved this issue:

1. Just the computer restarting after the update

or:

2. Detaching and reattaching my Thunderbolt 3 dock which connects via HDMI to my external monitor and USB hub. I have audio playback issues (apps lock up, crash, or just fail to play) and mouse/kb connection problems that are always resolved with a dock unplug/plug back in, so it's not that surprising.

Probably should have tried both of these before posting, but I figure I'll leave this note here for anyone else with a similar setup or--more inevitably--myself in the future.

4. nratcliff

nratcliff

Updating this because the issue occurred again. Still not sure what's causing it but restarting the MacBook resolved it. Detaching and reattaching the dock did not change anything.