Search Unity

Poor game performance (low fps)

Discussion in 'Windows' started by dreadris, Oct 21, 2013.

1. dreadris

dreadris

Hi,

Recently I've deployed my game to windows 8 RT on Dell Xps 10. The average FPS was 15 whereas on iPad 2 game plays smoothly with more than 30 fps average. I've made a simple test with empty scene and two screen sized textures and the result was that when these two textures are on the screen fps drops to 30 whereas game with one texture runs 60 fps. Then I made a second test - I've moved one texture around the screen and what I've noticed was that when the moving texture covered more than half of the screen fps dropped from 60 to 30. It seems pretty strange to me as it doesn't look like a fill rate issue. Also frame doesn't drop smoothly - it looks like renderer had to render twice more pixels when I move the texture only one pixel so it covers half of the screen. Do you guys now what could cause this kind of behaviour?

2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Did you remember to set it to build as 'master' in Visual Studio? :)

3. dreadris

dreadris

Hmm, where can I set it?

4. Tomas1856

Tomas1856

Unity Technologies

You should do it from the toolbar in VS, if you don't see it, then go to:
    Build->Configuration Manager->Active Solution Configuration.

5. dreadris

dreadris

I've exported the project to a fresh folder but still I have only Release and Debug configurations - no trace of "master". I'm on Unity free 4.2.2f1.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Release should do! My mistake, master is only included in Unity 4.3, which isn't released yet.

7. dreadris

dreadris

Unfortunately it doesn't matter which build configuration is set - I see same frame rates. Also I've noticed that showing windows sidebar (on the right side) produces the same effect. Any ideas?

8. dreadris

dreadris

Ok, my test was incorrect. I've been using uncompressed textures.