Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor Customer Service

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by PJMayo, Mar 5, 2018.

1. PJMayo

PJMayo

Anyone else have issues with Unity Customer Support? I asked to walk away from a year long deal for Pro, because I missed the actual cost was monthly, and much higher than I expected. I was not using the Pro service anyway, so I figured they would support my leaving. I had originally jumped at the deal because I had a couple potential projects in the wind, but they are not happening right now. Unity Support told me I was contractually obligated to keep paying. I am not even using their service! I never began! I originally asked for a refund for services [not] rendered, as well as release from the subscription, but would have been somewhat satisfied had they simply dropped the subscription. They never even considered it. I am already $210 in the hole... for nothing!

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

You must not have paid any attention to the pages as you were configuring your plan and filling out your info. It's not like it defaults to monthly either. It defaults to yearly. You would have had to click on the monthly option (like I did to continue to the next page).

ConfigurePlan.png Checkout.png

You are contractually obligated. You can see the relevant information in the license agreement you signed.

https://unity3d.com/legal/terms-of-service/software

Only way for services to not be rendered would be if they didn't provide you with any license keys for the subscription.

https://id.unity.com/en/subscriptions

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  3. Martin_H

Martin_H

That's not an issue with customer support, it's an issue with subscriptions being a bad system in general, even more so when they can't be canceled at any time. Basically you're fvcked because you've signed a contract to pay for something you don't seem to need, and now you have to pay it. My condolences! Seriously, that sucks.
    I suggest to write it off as an expensive learning experience on reading fine-print for purchases and contracts. Don't think there is much else you can do about it.

Oh and also note that if I recall correctly you can't mix license types on the same project, so if you qualify to use the free version, you better start your ongoing projects again using the free version, or else I think you're obliged to keep paying for pro for as long as you keep working on that project you started on pro.

Ryiah likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

You can't mix license tiers but nothing in the license agreement says you can't have your entire team downgrade from a higher tier to a lower tier and continue developing your game as long as they are within the financial restraints of it.

Martin_H and angrypenguin like this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I thought it was discussed somewhere that as long as you're not using them simultaneously it's ok?

Edit: Heh, I should have refreshed before responding.

Martin_H likes this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

I haven't read the license recently so I'll just take your word for it. I thought the only allowed exception was whole team upgrading once from free to pro when the income threshold was crossed, but I might very well be wrong. Thanks for clarifying.

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Moving to general support.

As others have pointed out, all the details of what you are signing up for is right on the page. It’s a year long contract. The costs you would “expect” are clearly provided. You are paying for access to the services (and removal of revenue cap) , whether you use them or not is up you.

BlackDeathStar99 likes this.
  8. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Hi there,

Just chiming in from the Support side.

I can see that a colleague of mine did respond to your ticket within two days of the request with the correct information regarding the commitment period you entered into and agreed to upon purchase.

Please do reply to my colleague if you have any further concerns within the ticket, as we aren't able to provide support regarding someones subscription in a public thread.

9. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

um... is there support for "non-neuro-typical" types (like me) who often have a tough time understanding the Eula?

or, I mean, where should I go to start learning what I need to decide which version of Unity fits me and my plans best?

I ask or a link, becsause, well there's is sooooo much info here that I need direction sometimes

Martin_H likes this.
  10. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity Support responded that you were contractually obligated to complete the term of the license because you're in fact contractually obligated to complete the term of the license.

For an indie dev it is really simple. If you make less than $100k per year in your game making business you can use free. If you make between $100k and $200k in your game making business you need at least Plus. If your game making business makes more than $200k a year then you need to use Pro.

If you fall under $100k but want to remove the Unity splash screen consider Plus as well.

BlackDeathStar99 likes this.
  11. Homicide

Homicide

I dunno bout customer support quality, but there's definitely a degrade in over all Unity Quality since years back i first was around.. Here's looking at you crappy documentation and broken unity infrastructure.

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

https://store.unity.com/

13. LaneFox

LaneFox

TBH the Scripting API Reference and Manual is very high quality. Some areas have significantly less information - usually because they're less frequently used - but the more common spaces are very well documented.

Homicide likes this.
  14. Homicide

Homicide

I will agree... somewhat, that it does the job...but i hate to say it, because i do truly love Unity... the documentation contains many mistakes and much lack of information. It doesn't take but browsing around the forum for a few moments to realize this, let alone reading misc sections of it.

15. DerrickMoore

DerrickMoore

thanks..

very good, thanks