Search Unity

1. Calling all beginners! Join the FPS Beginners Mods Challenge until December 13.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. It's Cyber Week at the Asset Store!
    Dismiss Notice

Pool Kit - The ultimate system for pooling, spawning and despawning

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by melgeorgiou, Jun 20, 2018.

1. MikhaskoS

MikhaskoS

I hope I don't have to send invoice ID for the third time.

2. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @MikhaskoS,

Thanks for sending the invoice ID. Please check your email! :)

- Mel

3. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi everyone,

POOL KIT v2.0 IS NOW LIVE!

PoolKit v2.0 is now LIVE on my site, and should hopefully be available on the Asset Store soon.

IMPORTANT: ALWAYS BACKUP YOUR PROJECT BEFORE UPDATING!

This is the biggest PoolKit update since release and includes loads of new features! Let's explore what's new:

NEW SPAWNER FEATURES!

The first thing to take a look at are the new Spawner features. Let's start on the main Spawner tab:

Screenshot 2019-11-09 at 14.38.55.png

Instances To Spawn

Each spawn cycle can now spawn a random range of instances rather than a fixed value!

Spawner Updates

In the previous versions of PoolKit spawners, instances were updated to grab a new prefab, spawn point, rotation and scale every time they were spawned. These can now be independently controlled so they can be updated only at the start of each spawn cycle which allows for interesting setups!

For example, you can easily have any number of instances spawning at the same spawn point by setting the "Update Spawn Point" field to "Per Cycle" ( thanks @MikhaskoS! :) ).

Another example allows you to always use the same prefab on multiple spawn points by setting the "Update Prefab" field to "Per Cycle".

This gives you super fine grain control to setup your spawners in pretty much any way you want! :)

Randomized Offsets

It is now possible to make spawn point locations easier to manage using the new "Randomized Offsets" feature which works with any Spawn Point mode:

Screenshot 2019-11-09 at 14.49.30.png

At the bottom of this inspector you can check a simple checkbox which brings up the randomized offset options. This allows you to add small positional offsets when spawning your instances. This functionality is similar to what already existed in chain-spawning but is now offered in the core spawner too!

BTW: You can also independently update offsets per instance or per cycle in the main spawner tab! :)

NEW DESPAWNER FEATURES!

There are also some cool features added to the PoolKit despawners!

Raycast Physics Events

There are now 2 new despawner modes that allow despawning for both 2D and 3D Raycasts!

Screenshot 2019-11-09 at 16.18.00.png

These modes work in a similar way to the existing physics-based events with filtering for layers, tags and more. Two new example scenes showing how this works are also included! :)

Random Range Of Chain-Spawned Instances

Rather than a fixed value of instances to spawn, Chain spawning now has the option of using random range of instances for even more flexibility!

These new features are extremely powerful and will open up even more possibilities. The best part is this huge update is 100% free to all existing PoolKit users.

I'd like to thank everyone who has already purchased PoolKit. It is your support that allows me to keep improving the tool over time. If you're happy with PoolKit and appreciate free updates, please consider leaving a positive review in the asset store! :)

I'll let everyone know when the Asset Store version has been approved! :)

- Mel

4. f1chris

f1chris

Thanks Mel for this nice free upgrade !!! :)

I'm spawning ennemies when hitting a specific section in the map. Let say i'm spawning 10 soldiers and my objective is to eliminate them all from a certain area.

When using the despawner, how do i know they're all killed ?

I have more than one spawner, how i know the one i just killed was spawned from Spawner A and not Spawner B ?

Poolkit have tons of features I'm not completely aware of yet but I'm sure you can achieve something like this pretty easily.

thx
    - Chris

5. melgeorgiou

melgeorgiou

Hi @f1chris,

You're welcome! :)

Fastest way is to use the delegates on the Despawner component to receive events every time your object is despawned ( OnDespawnerDespawn ) and then incrementing a global counter of some sort to count how many times the object is despawned.

There's an example of how to get started with this on page 63 of the manual and I also think there is an example scene included in PoolKit which shows how to setup despawner events using either delegates or UnityEvents (delegates are more efficient but UnityEvents are easier lol).

Hope this helps! :)

- Mel

f1chris likes this.