Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

Question Pool hall ball physics.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by tclancey, Jul 29, 2020.

1. tclancey

tclancey

Hi there.

So messing around with this pool table is going ok, despite all the interruptions, but I have a question about running the physics for this.

With a couple of quick tests it's become apparent to me that I can't rely on the underlying physics of the unity engine for the Cue stick hitting a ball. Ball to ball seems to be ok, but stick (which is very thin) to ball goes horribly wrong. The stick goes through the ball, the ball flies sidways, etc) I've tried different colliders and collision types. If I've missed something and this is the way to go please let me know.

So I'm half decided I have to step in and do some manual work. If I catch the exact point of contact then calculate forces from the cue stick angle and velocity, apply force and torque to the cue ball, I can (I think) get around this problem.

Would this be the right way to go?
    Many thanks.