Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yep. This is one of the slight pitfalls with using meshes with custom shaders. The authors of shaders sometimes do not abide by the standard variable names Unity and Beast expect. Without knowing more about that material, you could just use the standard diffuse shader. Then, use a diffuse texture in the diffuse slot.

@p6r has more experience with this pack and might be able to suggest another shader or workflow.

You'll also want to add a mesh collider to the converted mesh so you can walk on it.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  2. p6r

p6r

Is it possible to simply replace the shader by the (Unity3D) Diffuse one on both parts (bottom AND top) ???
    If yes, don't forget to add their Textures BEOFRE converting.
    (Info : You can't convert a model without any texture !)
    PM sent...
    6R

3. p6r

p6r

I'm testing without texture (after convertion) for a more simple paper effect... like one of the pictures added by saucer78 :
    Pastel colors on the background and more intense colors on the characters.

6R

Socrates likes this.
  4. p6r

p6r

Here I have placed the camera within a faceted model and I have added this faceted (free) demon :

6R

5. saucer78

saucer78

Thanks, QT. I understand the issue in abstract now and will have to start researching shaders and textures, something that I need to learn anyway :)

And thanks for providing the term "collision mesh." Being so new, I understand many concepts, but am sorely lacking in terminology, which makes searching a bit more difficult.

6. saucer78

saucer78

Thanks so much for the help - people like you keep these communities strong :)

I did figure out a way to convert the islands last night, but it was very late and I cannot recall exactly what I did. I'll play with Unity again this evening and let you know what I can.

And great work with that new image. I love the bright colors that come from lack of texture!

7. saucer78

saucer78

Before I spend too much time researching this issue, I figured I'll ask here since the low poly assets might behave differently than more traditional prefabs: will it be simple enough to lightly animate the included trees to appear as though they're swaying in the wind?

I've read that the Wind Zone component only affects trees built within unity... but have yet to find much information regarding custom built trees/objects.

Thanks again for all of the help!

8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Woodland Toolkit is getting an update this evening. SkinnedMeshes aren't getting the _MainTex check like standard Meshes are. *slaps forehead* It's fixed locally.

Trees and water need better vertex animation support which is planned in a larger update. Whether it's in PW:Ancient East or in the larger Woodland update depends on a number of things. Sorry!

9. im

im

please add better tress and water vertex animation support to larger update of PW... that way the core has the functionality and the packs are models and such that use the functionality. if that not possible why not have inexpensive better water and trees vertex animation support pack that everyone can basically afford without having to get assets that they may not need.. so it has water and tree assets to go with it more. trees and water everyone wants that. ancient east perhaps not if they not doing ancient east game/level/theme ... ;) i think basic asset packs would be nicer like interiors. homes with door and window openings, ect so that assets are more usable we can do more things with the existing ones than branching into other areas. also nice rocks, trees, ect. basic stuff that we can build all sort of levels from regardless of what game we doing... like the sky one u did is amazing cause everybody could use... i know it may not be as fun, but it may make more money than nitch packs

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  10. auroxi

auroxi

Just purchased this, imported it into my project and received an error stating:

Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_CombineMeshes.cs(278,13): error CS0433: The imported type of 'MeshCombineUtility' is defined multiple times

Now my project won't compile.

Help please.

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

You have two meshcombine CS files in the project. Just delete one and you'll be fine.

12. auroxi

auroxi

Yeah I just found it was in Standard Assets, I just came back here to post all is solved.

Let's get started with this asset then! :)

Thanks for the fast response.

13. cj31387

cj31387

Hi, I see this is on sale. Very interested in buying. I have a question though. Can all the models that get changed to polyworld like, be re-exported back to 3ds max or blender or whatever? Or can you only use them in unity?

14. Amer-ALhwifi

Amer-ALhwifi

@QuantumTheory

Hello ,
    Thank your for this amazing kit .

I've a question please , how can i use the skies to achieve a similar result like that you got ?

Thank you.

15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

You can only use them in Unity unless someone has written an exporter from Unity. I haven't researched it.

16. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Are you wanting to facet a skybox like the skies in PolyWorld? If you have access to a 3d application, PM me.

17. cj31387

cj31387

Do you think something like this would work? I would have to add in vertex color export myself i think but it shouldn't be too hard as long as your asset turns them all to meshes?

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=ObjExporter

18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm using this for the terrains script. The problem is that OBJ doesn't natively support vertex colors. You can write your own data to it but the 3d app's importer needs to read it which is the most problematic.

This looks like it would work if you use Maya: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17079

If you don't use Maya, there might be a converter online that will convert it to the format you need.

19. Socrates

Socrates

I was almost completely convinced to buy PolyWorld with the sale, and this image finished convincing me. I really enjoyed the range of images people have managed to produce in this thread. It shows how much someone can do with PolyWorld and a bit of effort.

20. eridani

eridani

Not sure exactly what this asset is doing behind the scenes... is it reducing the polycount of the models? So it is optimizing them, reducing vertex counts, etc. In other words it can be used as a sort of optimization or decimation tool like Mixamo's Decimator? https://www.mixamo.com/decimator

Or keeping the polycount the same and just making the illusion that the model has been "simplified."

Also is there a way to not have the hard faceted edge look and instead have a smooth model. I guess I'm thinking about using this more as an optimization tool than an artistic tool. Thanks!

21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi eridani,

Polyworld doesn't do any reduction. It manipulates the model's vertrex normals, removes textures, and applies vertex coloring. If you want to optimize models you would still have to use Decimator.

22. p6r

p6r

Not only Decimator :
    * If you have Unity Pro you can use Cruncher (not free).
    * With Pro or Free Unity you can use the great MantisLODEditorOnline that is free and works fine !

@Socrates : I'm happy to know my work could help you...

6R

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'm sorry since I'm sure this has already been asked , but anyway to run this script during gameplay . Maybe have an object lose resolution during the game .

Just bought this , looks pretty cool !

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The answer is, "probably." It's made to be done at editor-time. It could be written to realtime but I simply lack the knowledge of how to do it in an optimized way.

25. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I'll toy around with it this weekend and I'll email you the modified scripts if I can figure this out .

One more question , do you have any shaders that handle transparency ?

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I skipped making those as I decided it's not within the art style I've observed. If it's really needed I could probably cook one up.

27. gilley033

gilley033

Hello,

I am not sure if this intentional, but the triangle limit to the mesh converter is not accurate. The tool reports that the triangle limit is 21845, but mesh.triangles.Length is a count of all vertices, not the number of triangles in the mesh. So the real triangle limit is 21845 / 3 = 7281.

It may be that this is intentional, and if so, I would suggest rewording the error message that is displayed when the triangle count is too high. It's confusing when the error is saying the triangle count is too high, and then you look and your triangle count is well below the described 21845 limit.

Or it may be that you really meant for 21845 to be the triangle limit, in which case mesh.triangles.Length will need to be divided by 3 to get the real triangle count of the mesh. I can personally confirm a mesh with a triangle count of 8192 was converted successfully using your tool in under 5 seconds, so the 7281 limit seems like it might be a little low.

Thanks for this great tool!

28. auroxi

auroxi

Is there any idea when we can use the terrain script with something larger than 65535 vertices? It's impossible to use in its current state.

29. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This is a slight typo. It's the vertex count that has a limit, not triangles. Here is why:

If you're importing a mesh that has more than 65536 vertices, Unity divides the additional triangles into a separate mesh altogether. When a model is converted through PolyWorld, all shared vertices are removed to achieve the faceted look. It is also the only way to get that look.

If you have two triangles with a shared edge, the vertex count will be 4 because those vertices are shared. You have a quad.The vertex normals are averaged between each set so you get smooth lighting. If you want that lighting to be faceted, those vertices have to be separated so the vertex count becomes 6; 3 for each triangle.

In the worst case scenario, a mesh with a vertex count of 21845 may have its vertices welded so the vertices are shared. To get faceting, those vertices need to be broken so each triangle has 3 unique verts. 21845 * 3 = 65535. If you brought in a character, a skinnedmesh, that's say 25000 vertices and converted it, some portions of that mesh become unique and you'll lose all the skinning and bone assignment information for that new mesh.

With more time and effort, I could probably support this, but I decided against it because anything high poly has a diminishing return on aesthetic. The higher the poly, the less faceted it looks.

30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm not sure what you're referring to as the terrain script can go as high poly as you want.

31. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

It's not needed ... but for my game I have enemies fade out when they die . This would help alot with that ( of course I could do something like switch to the transparent shader and then fade out , but that might not look right )

32. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Just would like to add that in the few hours I've toyed with this app tonight its been pretty amazing . Thanks

33. cj31387

cj31387

When converting a mesh to polyworld, it sends the mesh to a faceted folder. It would be nice if you could have it be sent to that folder but all of its parts and dependencies send to a sub folder named after the model. It would help organization more.

Also it would be really awesome if you could add fbx export of the models, so they can be edited in blender maya or 3ds max with their vertex color intact.

34. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks keithsoulasa! If you don't mind, please consider providing feedback in the store!

35. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This is a frequent request but it's no easy task.

Here is an alternative: http://u3d.as/content/fl4re/collada-dae-exporter-/3cC

Unity and most 3d applications support Collada. I haven't tried this exporter but it just might work.

36. DanielFF

DanielFF

Hi,
    I bought PolyWorld Woodland Toolkit and am enjoying it. I have 2 questions (maybe noob),

1) I noticed that in your demo you have some parts of the terrain that are not rectangular, how you did it?

2) To convert an animated mesh that need difuse shader right?

37. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

1. For starters, aall Unity terrains have to be square for PolyWorld to generate properly. Once you've generated a terrain and are ready for it to be in your game, it's a good idea to run the "Divide Mesh into Chunks" button. This will cut up the giant mesh into smaller square pieces (or so) so it will render faster, but also allow you to delete the pieces you don't need. That's how I made custom-sized terrain.

2. Right. Any standard unity shader should do fine.

38. saucer78

saucer78

I would definitely be interested in this! I'd love to be able to fly through some slightly transparent clouds. (I need to research this though... how/if it is possible to add substance to a mesh object. As it works right now, once the camera breaches the face of an object without collision, the camera immediately continues viewing the other side. There's no "substance" to the clouds/mesh.)

39. mittense

mittense

Am I doing something wrong? Whenever I run the terrain tool, I end up with the faceted terrain with none of the vertex coloring.

Edit: Nevermind. I'm a big stupid.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Be sure to hit the "Use Custom Shaders" button. You only have to do this once per terrain.

41. mlepage

mlepage

Just wanted to say this was the first asset I bought, because it seems awesome.

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks! I hope you find it to be awesome ;)

43. user420

user420

Had everyone made some performance tests?
    Specially for mobile. Does it eat more performance than a normal diffuse material with a texture map?
    This tool would be perfect for my VR low poly world. But i'm just a student and this is my hobby.
    I have to be sure that everything is working. I think it is not possible to buy just a "light" pack?
    I would only need the mesh converter and the diffuse vertex color shader.

44. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

it does not reduce the poly, but it use vertex color if i am right, which is nice for mobile

45. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The shaders use vertex color and 1 texture for image-based lighting. You could go even cheaper if you just find a plain-vanilla vertex color shader.

46. cj31387

cj31387

Would it be possible for you to allow more than the 65k vert limit by having the meshes be split on creation? Some stuff I've downloaded from the Asset store I wasn't able to convert.

47. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Maybe. It's a big maybe. The vertex indices are different once the meshes are broken up on import, so things like bone weights likely get lost. I'll have to look into it but it will be awhile.

48. manu_d

manu_d

Hi Quantum! Is it possible for PW to work with a procedurally generated terrain (like TerraVol)?
    If not, please consider including this request on a future update, as its the only thing keeping me from purchasing your incredible asset!
    Keep up the good work,
    Cheers!

49. cj31387

cj31387

I found a couple bugs.

1: When trying to convert a mesh to polyworld if it doesn't have a diffuse texture but is just a basic color it does not convert the mesh. I think instead of not converting the mesh it should just do a solid color and still convert the mesh, I'm importing some models from Google warehouse and they are just solid colors, as a temporary fix i think you should make them just still export but without a correct color, but in the future read the solid color from the material.

2: Also before converting a terrain and trying to mass place trees with the terrain tools with the tree prefabs that come with polyworld do not work. It won't place any of the trees and says "The tree Prefab-Tree_A couldn't be instanced because the prefab contains no valid mesh renderer".

50. cj31387

cj31387

Also I'm using the asset called buildr, and playup for sketchup and both programs add invalid characters to the mesh names and gameobject name, builder adds a : every model, like mesh:roof and playup adds like model%root%mesh and when i try to convert a mesh to polyworld it says it can't because of illegal characters. Can you fix this please?