Search Unity

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

That's likely a UI bug. The settings are still stored in the objects. I'll take a look.

twobob likes this.
  2. RSH1

RSH1

Is there any update with this issue? The settings are not working at all with the latest version of Unity, and the LOD after deploying to Android is unacceptably low.

3. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I just verified they are working correctly with Unity 2018.1.5f1 which is the latest official release.

The problem is that if that LOD sizes are the only change you make to the scene, the changes aren't saved. Presumably because I'm not making the terrain dirty. If you move a light, or make some other small modification to the scene after changing the LOD settings, then save, the changes will go through.

Until I get the issue resolved, change the LOD settings, then make another small change to the scene, then resave.

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

When using East Asian Polyworld, what material do you select for the terrain? when using Gaia? I couldn't find any suitable material similar to the one found in Woodlands.

Thanks.

5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

You can create a new material and just use the Polyworld Surface shader in it.

6. Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

I got similar issue... the effect is far from the dragon example... in the dragon example it still uses a a texture with a diffuse shader...

Would be greatly appreciated to get some help, as that is the effect i bought this asset for :)

Thanks in advance!

Best regards /Niklas

7. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The color is stored in the vertices. That is how the effect is achieved. The model you're starting with is extremely low poly, so the resulting color variation is low. Tessellate the model in a 3d app and try again.

Side note: No, the dragon example does not use the diffuse shader. It renders down to vertex colors just like your example, but it has a higher polygon count.

8. Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

Thanks for the quick answer, ill try that!

9. Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

Hello again!

When playing movement animation i get these issues:

When the character are rotating with its animation, these stuff moves in and out from the model (marked with blue in the first screen)

The original model, next to it has no such issues...

Help would be greatly appreciated! :)

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Uncheck "Generate Lightmap UVs" in the converter window, convert the model again, and then try the animations again.

11. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

Hello, I try to use ModifyColor to change my model color, but I can't click channel, it can't work, why?
    I use this free asset: Fantasy Heavy Weapon Pack

12. sky_dragon

sky_dragon

I know why, because it has to be used PolyWorld Mesh firstly. Amazing tool!

13. Slick_Nick

Slick_Nick

Hello again!

Just realized i forgot to reply, the issue were that the parts behaving odd were rendered with an SkinnedMeshRenderer, when breaking up the objects into each sub peice with a meshRenderer on each it worked

14. Ramulos

Ramulos

Hello QT,
    I love the asset so far. I've used it to convert many objects over to the low-poly style perfectly. But when I try to use it on my gaia terrain the resulting mesh is not the same as the resulting collider from the mesh. the collider sometimes goes above or below with no clear pattern in the deviation resulting in my character walking under the poly terrain or floating above it in different places. Any idea what could be causing this?

Settings of the polyworld script:
    Desktop 11.29.2018 - 04.26.12.06.png

15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Interesting. With mesh colliders enabled, the collision should match your faceted terrain. Can you click on one of the terrain chunks it makes and see if it's actually using a mesh collider?

16. Ramulos

Ramulos

After alot more digging and testing I found that the problem was with the LOD system. Im making a VR game and it turns out due to the different way things are rendered in the headset the lod distances you see in unity editor are not at all accurate to the distances you experience inside the headset. In my case(and most others i suspect) distances are much shorter in VR for lod changes so I can be walking on the terrain mesh but its still displaying the lod1 not lod0 causing the mismatch. A solution for anyone else that stumbles upon this problem is to change the active lod bias from the settings to about 3.7(experimentation needed depending on hardware or scene) which helped better resolve distance representation issues. Cant say exactly why, just what I found online.

17. Ramulos

Ramulos

is there 2018.3 support?

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  18. GordGames

GordGames

Hey, so I was trying out the LOD system and I think the problem is that the mesh colliders for both LOD0 and LOD1 are always active. So when you are on the terrain, it's showing you the proper LOD, but still using BOTH colliders and the lower detail collider is causing the problem with being above the shown terrain.

19. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Unity should be dropping out the LOD prefab with its collision. I'll take a look.

20. Matthu32

Matthu32

Does this work with HDRP? Also, will it be updating for Unity 2019?

21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

HDRP is not fully supported.

I just updated all the packs for LWSRP compatibility for 2018.2 and 2019.1.

KeithBrown likes this.
  22. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

I've owned this for awhile. I also own all of the POLYGON assets by Synty Studios. I recently began working on a project using them and I have a lot of assets that would benefit from your tool. I began seriously experimenting with them in Unity 2019.1.

In the most recent case I took Dragon Rex by Protofactor, and Demon Dog by protofactor.

I dropped some Synty Studio polygon knights of different types into the scene to verify the set pass calls remained the same when multiple different meshes were in the scene using a shared material. This was the case.

I converted the Dragon using your tool. It looked great. It would fit right in with what I needed.

The set pass calls went up a few points as would be expected using a new shader.

I duplicated the dragon. So far so good... no set pass increase.

I converted the demon dog and put it into the scene.

The Set pass calls increase as would be expected since it is using a new material. So I copy dragon material onto it and it still looks good as they appear to be the same shader, and now they are sharing a material.

The set pass calls do not go down even though a material is now being shared between the dragon and the dog.

The Set Pass calls do not increase if you are using instances of something already in the scene. However, when you add something to the scene using the same material they increase.

You might think it is due to polygon complexity of the object.

To verify that I put the same Standard shader on the Dragon and the dog that the Polygon figures were using. Of course this made the dog and dragon colorful and didn't look good at all. Yet the set pass calls did drop back down to the number I had when I hadn't added the dragon or dog yet.

There are a couple of ways I can see to approach this:
    1) See if it is something in the shader and fix that.

However, I have an interesting idea and I have thought about pursuing it. If I do it won't be for awhile. I thought I'd share it with you instead and you may be interested in adding it to the tool as an option.

2) Instead of converting it to a vertex shader I thought about an atlas with a lot of different color swatches on it. Similar to how the POLYGON materials are setup, but with more colors so it should suit all needs.

Then as you are sampling colors instead of setting the vertex instead remap the UVs for that Tri to the closest color match on the atlas. Then the Standard Shader can be used. It would likely look good and fit with the Polygon style quite well. Set pass calls on anything converted this way could use that single shared material and thus greatly reduce draw calls.

There is an advantage. If someone wants to swap out some colors they can just create a new texture atlas and swap some colors around, add new ones, etc and it will change the colors correspondingly on the creature. Each such instance would add one set pass call, yet if you had 6 color variations that would add only 6 set pass calls and you would have 7 total different color variations. Synty uses a technique like that to change clothing color, skin color, etc.

Since those packs are pretty popular I thought your tool being able to convert pretty much anything to work well with them might be a good thing.

I know it is not perfect since the polycount of the converted model can be higher and thus not perfectly align with any artists particular low poly style. It is really close, and useable though.

I wrote my review on the East Asian one about this and gave it 4 stars. If this can be addressed either by 1, or 2 above I'd gladly change it to 5 stars.

I hope you have time to do this. If not I'll have to do it myself in the future. It would be pretty easy for you since I suspect your code already does most of the work.

23. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Not really sure to be honest. But comparing two models isn't indicative of how the overall pack can perform.

I loaded up the demo scene of PolyWorld Woodland to see how the raw assets perform, broadly speaking. I disabled the sun which saved on the dynamic shadow pass. I disabled the skybox which saved on the image-based lighting pass (+6 to set pass right there for the cubemap). I then disabled all dynamic lights.

I zoomed out to see the entire space.
    65 batches, 849 saved by batching.
    14 set pass calls.

Sure, that's an approach, but I'm making an open consumer product where people can download any 3d asset on the internet and convert it to the style. That's not what Synty does, so I have different considerations. I also want to preserve the base UVs as many times people composite textures with those vertex colors for a different look, or emissive, blah blah. Folks would need a unique set of uvs, in addition to what I generate, and what's required for lightmaps, if I rely on texture samplers for coloring.

24. futurewavecs

futurewavecs

Thanks for the reply. Quick too.

I just did my experiments in a default scene created by Unity with a default camera and a direct light. If that helps any. (2019.1)

As to synty. That was just an example. There are a lot of different assets out there that are low poly and use a similar technique. What you have looks fine too, I just noticed that set pass call increase, and when I used standard shaders instead they went away.

As to you doing what I suggested. That is why I referred to it an option. It is something I'll likely need in the future and will have to do myself. I presented it here in case it was an option you were interested in pursuing. If you are not, that is completely fine.

Thanks again for responding.

25. Danistmein

Danistmein

Hello, QuantumTheory,

This is very cool asset, and I can conert any terrain to poly style. But I faced some problems, the first picture is the original terrain generated from Gaia. And When I converted this terrain to poly terrain, the green color become very tint. Is there any settings which I missed? the third picture is my setting.

Regards.

upload_2019-5-12_16-46-44.png

upload_2019-5-12_16-46-48.png

upload_2019-5-12_16-49-6.png

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

if you're in linear color mode, make sure you're using the Polyworld Linear shaders. I think that might do it for you.

Danistmein likes this.
  27. Danistmein

Danistmein

Yes!, thanks for your prompt reply, that work's perfectly!

28. Danistmein

Danistmein

Hi, QuantumTheory.

One more question though, is there any way can I make the color edge sharper?
    1st Pohoto is the coloer edge between sand color and grass color. it is sharp as you can see. When I converted this terrain to low poly, there are some blur edges between them(2nd picture). Could you tell what I need to do?

regards.

(original terrain)
    upload_2019-5-13_11-3-9.png

(low poly terrain)
    upload_2019-5-13_11-3-24.png

(terrain setting)
    upload_2019-5-13_11-3-45.png

(metarial setting)
    upload_2019-5-13_11-4-5.png

29. tapticc

tapticc

Hello, I bought PolyWorlds and expected to be able to take a mesh and use the remesh tool to make the existing mesh low poly, but it increased the verts (triangle count remained the same). Have I missed the point?

30. tapticc

tapticc

Hello?

31. N1warhead

N1warhead

That's how you get Faceted looks. it breaks all the quads apart so they no longer share the same verts, so you get 4 verts added for every polygon as they no longer share vertices with each other.

32. N1warhead

N1warhead

@QuantumTheory : I'm trying to figure out what you meant by HDRP isn't 'fully' supported yet. Is there some limited functionality to it? Because I really want to use it for my HDRP Project.

33. kowproduction

kowproduction

Hey, I have an issue with the plugin and I can't find an answer on Google.

After a while, Im starting to encounter this error:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    QT_PolyWorldTerrainEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Plugins/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_PolyWorldTerrainEditor.cs:21)
    UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>c__AnonStorey1.<>m__0 () (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/InspectorElement.cs:501)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent(Int32, IntPtr)

The script simply dont show in the inspector and I can't do anything. :(

Unity 2019 2.3f1

Inspector: https://imgur.com/Nz07TsY

Script line: https://imgur.com/jKfInBT

Thanks

34. Ramulos

Ramulos

I keep geetting errors like this "No diffuse texture specified in material:" when i try to convert an object to low poly. I tried using the standard diffuse materials and tried using the PWAE_Diffuse material inside the polyworld materials folder but still no luck. Any ideas how to fix this?

35. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

This quote is from 2014, is it always editor only ? Make procedural terrain then use polyword on it, is not possible ?

36. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hello. Yes, conversion is through the editor only.

37. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

You need to apply a standard material with a base color texture to the source mesh you want to convert. Once converted, then you apply the Polyworld materials to the new mesh.

38. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

HDRP shaders are now included!

39. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

They might have changed the UI code... again. I'll look into this!

40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sure. Just set the "color variation" to "most." Blur amount might also have to increase.

41. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

And no plans for runtime support at all ?

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

There are no plans for runtime support! Sorry!

43. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

ok thanks

44. N1warhead

N1warhead

If you know how to dissect code the answers are already in it, just remove some of the steps involved in how it works now. I've done it, so it's possible. Just look at the process to how it works, copy and paste the parts that you need and it'll work for runtime, so you can make it work with Map Magic and such.

Sylmerria likes this.
  45. N1warhead

N1warhead

I'm not seeing HDRP shaders in it, just imported into my HDRP project and the only things I see in it are the normal shaders and LWRP shaders... Or was what you were trying to say was they are now submitted and we are waiting for the new update to be posted by Unity?

Just thought I'd mention this just in case there was an issue somewhere. (says last updated Aug, 16, 2019)

46. GameMunchers

GameMunchers

Im looking to purchase this but my project is all the way in Unity 4.7.2 Is it possible to get the old version of PolyWorld Woodland kit with my unity version?

47. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sorry @GameMunchers The API is far too old for the tools to work.

48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Not sure what happened here but you're right. The shaders weren't uploaded. I don't understand it.

In any case, the packs are updated with HDRP and URP shader sets. I don't know how long it will take for them to get approved or of it's immediate.

49. N1warhead

N1warhead

Totally alright mate.

50. AntLewis

AntLewis

Hey @QuantamStudios , looking at buying the Polyworld asset so I can convert Unity terrain to a low poly world. A question - when converting, do I have any control over the resolution of the mesh that's created?

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020