Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. thoorne

thoorne

Could you explain why it cannot be used for basic meshes but only for terrains?

2. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Very nice work :)

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, looks amazing, cant wait to have the real time showcase

4. red2blue

red2blue

This looks really great. Do I understand it right. The Unity Terrain is converted into a Mesh? So there should be no problem to work on it with Blender after converting?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It's only because I only wrote support for terrains in the code and chose to model all the props and prefabs. I do plan on writing another script that allows you to take any mesh, be it prop or character, and convert it to a faceted PolyWorld style. Work on that has not started yet as I want to see how well the pack performs before committing additional resources.

Thanks!

6. SteveB

SteveB

Curious Quantum; you have hard edges for your vertex colors. Are you splitting vertices at these edges or does your shader support this naturally? As you know by default Unity doesn't recognize vertex color boundaries the way they can be created in 3DSMax for example...

Thanks man!

-Steven

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  7. The-Spaniard

The-Spaniard

Absolutely gorgeous!

8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

To get hard shading, the vertices need to broken which I am doing in code. This is done on the geometry, not through a shader.

9. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

10. jemast

jemast

Congratulations!

Great style, very nice results, looks like it's packed with awesome props, documentation looks great. I've been interested in this artistic direction lately and have been impressed with the results you came up with.

Very nice end to end polished work :)

Hope you do well on the Asset Store!

11. burtonposey

burtonposey

Congrats! Already purchased!

12. thoorne

thoorne

As i said, package bought. Let's play with it.

13. mlamanna

mlamanna

This looks amazing!

14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

If you bought the pack when it came out, be sure to update it again as I fixed a fatal bug with the loading of the script.

15. canibecooltoo

canibecooltoo

nice ployworld ill be waiting for that converter for other props and characters is this mobile friendly?

16. scrawk

scrawk

Looks lovely. Well done :)

17. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

this is absolutely mobile friendly as at highly reduce the numbers of polygons for your terrain, all the props are very low poly and there is mobile shader too.
    anyway the script to convert our own models (animated) you be awesome.

18. MinhDao

MinhDao

Hi, this looks amazing! Can I use it for any mesh of model or it can be used for terrain only?

19. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The terrain is converted to OBJ so you can edit it in Blender if you wanted to. However, the vertex colors are only rendered inside Unity, after export, so you would be editing a blank mesh.

20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The current script is only for Unity Terrains but I am working on a script that will convert any prop and any character to the PolyWorld style.

21. thoorne

thoorne

22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

So when the reply to a thread you've subscribed to emails the reply to my inbox. this image was about 100x bigger and scared the hell outa me ;)

23. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update on the Conversion Script:

It's going faster than I thought. Props and characters can be converted now and it's working pretty well. Faceted skinned meshes preserve all the bone weights, assignments, game object hierarchy, etc.

Here's a pic using some free swords from BitGem in the Asset Store. Obviously the textured ones are from the pack. With a press of a button, out comes the faceted one next to it.

Attached Files:

RC-1290 and Azaphrael like this.
  24. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

You could, of course, get Maya and this asset: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/17079
    And you'd have all the vertex colors.

And a question to Quantum Theory:
    If I understand that correctly, then there's the mesh that polyworld creates and the terrain (that does not get rendered) left in the scene, right? Now, if I do my own collision checks on the mesh, I could theoretically delete the original terrain?

25. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yes, the old terrain is still in the scene but inactive. You still need it to change anything about the PolyWorld terrain. The terrain collider that's on the Unity Terrain automatically gets copied to the Polyworld Terrain. You can delete the terrain whenever you want, just know that you won't be able to change your PolyWorld terrain's height or color.

26. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

It's really cool!

But to be honest, a tool like this makes life harder, because that means we have to make textures for our models, before we convert them to be untextured again. :D

27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Eh not really. :D You can use any number of vertex coloring tools available in the store and color it right in the editor. Or, if you do texture it, it doesn't need to have high detail. It can be textured quite rough and still come out looking nice. The level of texture detail on these swords is higher than needed.

The script is meant to open the door to use any mesh in the asset store to fit in the PolyWorld style. It's great for those who aren't artists and need that content quickly!

Bullets42 and Azaphrael like this.
  28. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

I know. Just wanted to be a smartass. :D

But I'll stick to my current pipeline to color everything myself. Tends to turn out better, I think. ;)

pic.twitter.com/05mFPkUfce

29. MinhDao

MinhDao

Azaphrael likes this.
  30. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Is it possible to use the low poly converter script on animated model?will it keep all the animations from legacy animation for example?

31. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Could you include a example level please? Iam kinda lost. Thank you

32. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

There is one.
    Find it in the folder: Quantum Theory\Polyworld\Scenes

33. red2blue

red2blue

34. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yes it is. It's essentially the same object and hierarchy, except now the mesh is faceted and vertex-colored.

35. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

36. red2blue

red2blue

37. red2blue

red2blue

That looks great. Will the script be part of Polyworld? I got another question re polyworld. Is it only working with terrain, or also with a Obj/fbx/blend file? I am right now working on a polyworld within blender and thought about polyworld, but don't want to put all my work into garbage. Could this Conversion script you made help me with it?

Thanks a lot!

38. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

Well, then this: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/4031
    might be more up your alley? DAE files also retain vertex colors and can be opened in Blender.

Sorry if I am an annoyance, I just want to be of help and try to find a solution for you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  39. red2blue

red2blue

You absolutly no "annoyance" :D. I really appreciate your help, since I have no experiences with vertex coloring and this kind of stuff. But I got one additional question. If I export the created and transformed landscape via dea into for example blender. I think I can modifiy the landscape and repaint it. I then will use the blender Model as terrain with the material that blender creates?
    I just ask because quantum said, that the vertex color is calculated by unity.

The main reason I questioning about this is, that I really love the poly style, And I think the unity Terrain Tool is very good, but sometime (in my current game) I need more control over the terrain to creat overlapping cliffs and arches and some kind of stuff, that I would like to achive with terrain instead of modelling extra models for it (cliff or arch). If I can use the obj file to import it into blender and have the possibility to not have to texture it all over again, than it would be brilliant!

So thanks again for your help ;)!

40. Mad_Fox

Mad_Fox

Hi, Great Asset!, I saw in your webdemo that "post effects are not included", do you use standard camera effects or do i need something else to make it look like you did it? can you detail what effects are not included? Thanks!

41. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

http://qt-ent.com/PolyWorld-Woodland/faq/

The post effects used are Bloom from the standard assets pack in Unity, but also effects from a pack called "Colorful." It's an asset store pack for 20$. Effects from Colorful were not included as I can't sell something that's not mine ;)

42. Mad_Fox

Mad_Fox

Thanks for the answer! sorry for not checking your website before asking.

43. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

Well, in case this exporter asset really supports vertex colors (which I haven't checked - but .dae files generally do), then you can export the meshes that Polyworld generates to Blender to punch in holes or create cliffs and overhangs. You'd have to do this with the extrude tool of Blender however, so some modelling and repainting manually is required, because just pulling vertices around really doesn't look that good for creating bigger structures.
    For the painting, I have found that using blenders vertex paint tool (and a lot of Shift-K) does the trick quite well. To get the same feel as in polyworld, just seperate your objects for every color you like to use and do a Select->Random on the faces with different brightness values of the base color a few times over.

If you re-import the .blend files, just make sure that you create a material with the same shader that Polyworld uses for the rest of their stuff. Or use one that you like. Just make sure the shader calculates and displays vertex colors or you'll get a grey mesh!

Once you do all this, however, there is no way back and you will lose the ability to change the mesh with the Polyworld tool.

Which makes me think, Quantum, I'd really love to have a tool which takes a mesh - or part of it - and assigns each triangle a specific vertex color. Maybe from a (brightness) range that I can choose or something. This would make creating additional terrain structures like cliffs and overhangs (and also rocks and trees for that matter) a real breeze.

red2blue likes this.
  44. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm sure one of the many vertex coloring tools in the store can do this far better than I could.

45. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem so. They all don't respect that I don't want to interpolate the color between vertices. Or is there one in particular you can recommend for that job?

46. RC-1290

RC-1290

That is a shading issue. Like the name suggests, vertex colors are stored per vertex, not per face. The GPU must blend between the three colors of the nearby vertices to know what color to use for a pixel.

Workaround: If you first process the mesh with the PolyWorld converter script, each face will be separated, so that colors are only blended per triangle. Then you need to make sure each vertex of the triangle uses the same color.

Perhaps one of the tools allows you to color all the vertices of a particular face at the same time?

47. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

Well, I already knew all that. :rolleyes:

That's why I asked Quantum for a tool, so I can color a mesh inside Unity per triangle with a random color within a specific range. Doing it in blender works, but is a tedious task. And since he's already doing something similar (taking the texture color to the vertices), I figured it would not be much of a hassle to integrate this while he's at it. There is a script for 3DS Max here: http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/random-vertex-painter-for-3ds-max

It does exactly what I want, but my Max skills are sub par and I cant seem to get it to work. It would also be very convenient to have it inside Unity. But at the moment, I am writing it myself anyway. I might even share once it is completed. Maybe someone else might find it useful.

And, sadly, none of the tools has a function like that, it seems (I didn't buy all of them yet, but no luck so far).

48. RC-1290

RC-1290

Ahh, I see what you mean.

49. Azaphrael

Azaphrael

By the way, RC, exactly where is the difference between your IBL shaders and any other vertex color shader for Unity that can be found on the Unify wiki for example?

So far, I noticed it makes the colors much brighter.

50. RC-1290

RC-1290

I don't know, I haven't tried the other vertex color shaders ;).
    But I think it's because of the IBL. It samples a cubemap in the direction of the surface normal, to approximate ambient diffuse lighting from a skybox. The cubemap you use might be brighter than the solid ambient light color you might have set. Even the default cubemap texture that Unity uses when you have none selected is quite bright.

Compared to fancier shaders like those used with Marmoset Skyshop, the IBL in my shaders is added on top of the lightmaps. Andres discusses this difference at the end of his video about Marmoset and Shader Forge.

Is it a problem for you? Do you feel like it is brighter than outputting the vertex color as an emissive color?