Search Unity

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. Yiorgos

Yiorgos

Well, if it was free it probably would not be that awesome, so... ;)

2. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I don't have an evaluation version as the packs are priced very low to begin with. If you'd like to see what a model looks like, you can send one to support@qt-ent.com. I'll convert it and send it back.

3. byronbbb

byronbbb

Reviewed...5 stars...it's excellent!

4. Jerware

Jerware

Hello, I just purchased your Fantasy Interiors environment from the Asset Store for use in a VR application. On both the Oculus Rift and the HTC Vive I experience a problem with reflections where they are projected like 2D textures onto surfaces, where both eyes see the same perspective. Then, if I get closer to them it's possible to snap them into their correct state, where each eye gets a different perspective and they look like proper reflections.

I'd appreciate any advice on how to solve this. I did replace your #camera with the SteamVR one.

5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This sounds like a Unity issue. The shaders in PolyWorld use Unity's cgincs. Have you tried disabling anti-aliasing as this page suggests: https://forums.oculus.com/vip/discussion/20946/unity-5-reflection-probes-dont-work-in-build I know you have a Vive, but it's worth a try. I don't have a Vive so my help is limited.

If that doesn't work, switch back to the old PolyWorld reflective shaders where you specify a cubemap in the material slot.

6. Jerware

Jerware

Thanks, QT. I tried the suggestions in the post you linked and couldn't get it working, and then I restarted the project and realized it was caused by my importing a new custom object into your lovely house. Changing its shaders to the ones you used fix the reflections issue but of course they remove all of the textures from my object. Any tips on how to import objects into your space?

7. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Of course!

PolyWorld: Woodland and PolyWorld: Ancient East are packs of art and code that provide a complete low-poly style solution. The mesh converter script is what you would need; You can take any mesh, even characters, and convert them to the flat-shaded style so they'll fit with Fantasy Interiors.

Here's a quick demo of what the converter can do:

8. Jerware

Jerware

I see. Thanks for the help!

9. fastbomb

fastbomb

Hey @QuantumTheory, I was just wondering if you have any tips for using Gaia & PolyWorld together?

I was able to get the Terrain to work and for trees, etc to be placed. My main issues were related to the Shader, Billboarding and Shadows.

Can we expect a workflow or tutorial on proper integration at some point?

I am starting to think that bringing Gaia into a PolyWorld Scene might be a better starting point for me.

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

What issues are you seeing specifically with the shader?

11. fastbomb

fastbomb

I guess the problem was that I was using PolyWorld Trees as Tree Prototypes instead of Game Object Prototypes. Is this the best practice for using PolyWorld Trees with Gaia?

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  12. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I see. Yes, I'm updating the shaders so they billboard and light correctly. Sit tight.

13. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Alrighty. I have the foliage detail meshes lit and billboarding so you can create forests in PolyWorld without the increased rendering cost. You could actually apply this shader to any mesh and it should billboard too.. hmm.. Distant villages? :)

I'm also updating the Woodland shaders to include support for PBR (metallic, smoothness, emissive sliders).

I don't have time to submit the update today though :( I'll submit it tomorrow and will post an update here!

docsavage likes this.
  14. docsavage

docsavage

The woodland pack is quality. My current and next game working on will not make use of them yet but have ancient east and interiors on wishlist. Have some plans for them:) Thanks for the continued support of it and the other packs. I can recommend anyone pick these packs up. Very nice, well maintained and well supported.

thanks

doc

15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

16. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

Just had a look. It really is well done. Very nice. If my game when finished sells enough then I will be picking some more assets up from the wishlist. This will be one of the first. Top quality.

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

What game are you working on? Do you have a website?

18. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

Thanks for asking.

No website yet. I have been so focused on finishing the game I have not thought about that but should have. Marketing has been completely neglected. One of the reasons is that as a beginner at all this everything takes longer than planned. A more experienced group could run with the idea and have it produced in about 6 months where I am currently up to 2 years but close to finish. I was wary someone may take the idea as it's not something I have seen before. The game is a bit of a mixup of different games from my youth made a bit more modern with some twists. Bought most of the scenery and created the main characters in blender. Just finalizing level design now and then dropping the graphics in over the placeholders. Managed to get the level design and difficulty settings pretty well balanced. Can range from easy to impossible with everything in between. Something to suit everyone. When the graphics are dropped in I may get the website up and running.

The plan for the excellent woodland pack is an adventure game that I have been thinking about for a bit. I hit so many stumbling blocks to my current game I think it would have been easier to do that first :)!

19. docsavage

docsavage

Forgot to say because you provide the mesh convertor script it allows a consistent looking game to be made using any other models without much extra work. You really should push this as a lot of assets on the assets store look great but don't mix well with each other making scenes look odd. With this functionality users can use all those models and make them match. A lot of beginners don't realize this. I didn't but thankfully they won't be wasted using this tool.

20. fastbomb

fastbomb

Thanks for looking into this! I am excited to use PolyWorld Trees as Tree Prototypes in Gaia. All the best!

21. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

Hopefully this is the right place to ask questions about bugs/issues. I couldn't find anywhere else. In my scene, I have a World Terrain with the low poly script attached. My terrain looks nice. I have PolyWorld Terrain toggled and Source Terrain untoggled. When I press play, Source terrain is turned on and the PolyWorld Terrain is turned off. If I turn the PolyWorld Terrain back on in the editor it is immediately turned back off as soon as I stop the game. I was looking through the settings and saw "Delete Polyworld Terrains on Update." I turned it off and pressed play. It was immediately turned back on and the same problem with the terrain occurred again. Similarly to the terrain visibility, if I untick the variable while the game is playing, it is turned back on right when I end the game. I'm not really sure what is going on. I recorded the method calls on the profiler, but didn't see any calls related to PolyWorld. I'd like the low poly terrain to stay visible please!

22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi There,

Sure, you can ask for support help here. Typically I ask users to email support@qt-ent.com though.

What version of Unity are you using? I'll try to repro.

23. keenanwoodall

keenanwoodall

I sent you an email, in case you prefer to communicate that way. I'm using Unity 5.3.4f1

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi Everyone,

I've developed an Asset Store survey that is aimed at helping my fellow publishers and I in better serving the Unity community. Would you mind taking 2 minutes and filling it out? It would be greatly appreciated.

The survey is anonymous and the results are available upon completing the survey.

http://goo.gl/forms/wkFlz7PSH9oIFH3l1

Thanks!

25. Haoris

Haoris

Hi,
    Is there something I can do to make the faceted terrain matching the vertex of my terrain when "Quad size multiplier" is set to zero?
    I just want to use all other options of your script but for now it looks like this :

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I looked further into this and it's the LOD edge-averaging that I'm doing in code. In short, it won't be fixed.

I'm matching the edge vertices of the first LOD with the second. The alternative would be to not match at all but then downward extrude the edges of all the second LODS so there wouldn't be a gap between the neighboring triangles. But you'd get lumps either way.

My best advice is to smooth the few triangles in the Unity terrain in that area until the border averaging is more acceptable. It's not a huge deal.

27. angelsm85

angelsm85

Hi! I'm thinking of buying your asset. I have a game for mobile platforms with an unity terrain with trees, grass, etc, and I need to know if I use your asset the drawcalls will reduce a lot. Thanks!!

28. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Without knowing anything about your game it's nearly impossible to say.

If you make your game completely in the style of PolyWorld, you could potentially have the entire world as much as one material. Bake static lighting and occlusion culling and you have very, very low draw counts.

29. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Interested in the packs, but am curious what character sets work best with this? I am familiar with using Fuse and Autodesk Character Creator, but am not sure if either of them produces characters (once imported) that the conversion script(s) would render properly. Any set of chars that you would recommend?

30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I haven't used Fuse, but other customers have and it seems to work ok. But, if the Fuse characters rely on blendshapes to drive animation, that is not supported in PolyWorld as Unity doesn't expose that data to the mesh api.

Fuse characters look a bit on the higher poly side. You may want to reduce the polycount of those models before converting them so they look "low poly."

31. lazygunn

lazygunn

I think the latest 5.4 beta has the answer there, with a new blendshape api including functions to add blendshape frames to a mesh in the Mesh class

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Oh cool. I just saw the docs. I'll look into this once Rome ships.

33. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm really looking forwards to Rome, not least because it's proven a big inspiration to me looking at medieval and later Tuscany architecture which definitely benefits from someone finally taking a proper look at unity assets and making them suitable for current generation use. Getting blendshape to work with this art style would be great so good luck

34. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Is there any character set that folks can say they have used successfully with this? I can certainly just buy and try, but I'd prefer not to spend a week doing try and try again if possible :)

Thanks!

35. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

5.4 is out and they changed some of the api where PolyWorld's icons are not loading, so the script crashes. Fixing..

docsavage likes this.
  36. Sx3

Sx3

I see that there is an option for resolution, in one of the first screenshots. Does that imply that you can scale down meshes to a lower vertex count? I am looking for a flat mesh generator that also reduces the number of vertices. Can this tool do that too?

37. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

For terrains, yes. For props, characters, and other meshes, no. The asset store has some options for that.

38. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

PolyWorld Woodland and Ancient East are now compatible with Unity 5.4!

39. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Ancient East has been updated.

- ModifyColor now writes the channel assignment data to all meshes after they've been saved. You can now recolor the same mesh over and over again with the same masking data!

40. selvin

selvin

Hi,
    could you please explain a bit more how does the "Material to Apply" work in the QT_Poly World Terrain script?

If I use the PW-Woodland provided it gives me a dark effect, I'd like to keep the bright colors of the texture I applied to the Unity Terrain. Any suggestion on how to do that?

As example, I am looking after a terrain as bright as this one
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21608

Thanks

41. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Sure. This is just a shortcut. When the new model is created, it needs a material to be assigned. This is the one that is used. To get that look, make sure you're set to Gamma color space in your project and set the material to use the PolyWorld Surface Gamma shader.

If your terrain is too dark, use brighter, more saturated source textures on the terrain. Reduce the blurring. Also make sure there is a skybox loaded as it might be a lighting issue. It's 100% possible to achieve that look with Polyworld.

42. selvin

selvin

Thanks for your quick reply.

It seems there are a few things I can try to get that look. I will keep you posted.

43. selvin

selvin

Hi,
    for reference, I managed to obtain this look
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21608
    by using the QT Unity5 Diffuse shader in "Material to Apply"
    and some bright textures: 71c125 for grass, 7e3e1b for rocks, feeba6 for sand.

I suggest you should probably use QT Unity5 Diffuse as it is the one that keeps the original colors of the texture applied to the terrain and it doesn't add any effect. In fact you use this for the Mesh Converter.

44. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

Hello,
    whenever I try to MeshConvert any model of a certain collection I own, I get the error message:

InvalidCastException: Cannot cast from source type to destination type.
    QT_ConvertMesh.RenderSimpleProp (UnityEngine.MeshFilter MF, UnityEngine.MeshRenderer MR, UnityEngine.GameObject currentGO) (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ConvertMesh.cs:571)
    QT_ConvertMesh.ConvertMesh (UnityEngine.GameObject WorkingGO, UnityEngine.GameObject[] MeshGOs, UnityEngine.MeshFilter[] MFs, UnityEngine.MeshRenderer[] MRs, UnityEngine.SkinnedMeshRenderer[] SMRs) (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ConvertMesh.cs:405)
    QT_ConvertMesh.OnGUI () (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ConvertMesh.cs:153)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Additionally, the model duplicates to 0,0,0.

I cant see any difference to other models I converted and already tried to import-export it into a different file format.

45. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This could be a few things:

1. Make sure you're using a shader that uses the _MainTex attribute. If you're unsure, convert all your materials to the standard shader.
    2. Make sure there is a texture in the diffuse/albedo slot of your material.
    2. Make sure your textures are not JPG.

46. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

I already realized 1 & 2. On the other hand I didnt knew that you shouldnt use JPG files. Anyway, the corresponding textures were in DDS Format. I also tried converting them to PNG. Still no luck.

47. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hmm.. Sorry you're having this issue. Would you mind emailing me at support@qt-ent.com with the model and textures you're trying to convert?

Thanks!

48. angelsm85

angelsm85

I've created a terrain with 16 meshes but my player does rare movements (vibrations) when he's walking through it. Do I have to generate a mesh collider component in each mesh? Is it not enough to use the terrain collider?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  49. EwanRGR

EwanRGR

Not sure if no one saw the original question, or there's no real answer available, but is there any character set that folks can say they have used successfully with this? I can certainly just buy and try, but I'd prefer not to spend a week doing try and try again if possible. I'm particularly concerned with the experience I've had trying to bring Fuse models into Unity in general.

Thanks in advance!

50. Setmaster

Setmaster

The character I'm converting is losing it's eyes, I'm unsure what's going wrong.

I decided to try adding back the details lost with the VertexColor Unity 5 Diffuse Texture, but the textures are dark:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016