Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. gilley033

gilley033

I actually managed to modify your existing VertexColorsIBLDiffuse shader to add the vertex animation. The animation logic in the vert function is taken from this post. It looks decent, though I feel there is probably other logic out there that might produce better waves, and I'm not sure how it compares to the SurfaceNoise script since I never tried it. It works for my purpose though, and should be more performant since it's a shader.

Also, the lighting seems to be okay for me, but I may be missing something, and obviously this isn't using reflection or transparency, so there is still some investigation you'll have to do! But hopefully this is helpful. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2015
  2. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Please do not post commercial data from my package. I've reported the post. Thanks.

3. gilley033

gilley033

Huh?

That is the license listed in the shader file. I wondered whether it would be okay to post the shader code, but since those license terms were in the file I figured it would be fine. If that is not the case (which it appears it is not), then I apologize.

Edit: I see I misread the license, as it states you have the right to sub license the file. Sometimes people include assets with open licenses in their packages, which I assumed was the case here. Again, I offer my apologies!

Would you be interested in the shader code via a private message?

4. snottlebocket

snottlebocket

Hi, I'm making a simple road network by extruding an SVG file in blender that I've lifted from our campus map. It gives me a mesh object that has the right shape but the individual poly's of the road are very uniformly distributed.

Does anyone have any pointers for how I would make this object look like the roads and other objects in the Woodland set? Ie. how do I get that flat shaded look with the tessellated surface?

5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Hi Everyone,

Please take some time to answer the poll at the top of the thread. I'm trying to plan out my goals for the next few weeks.

Thanks!

6. knight2601

knight2601

hi, a quick question, is PolyWorld 100% compatible with Unity 5.1.2 as when going to purchase it on the asset store, it moans about possible incompatibility?

also, i mainly develop on mac OSX, any issues?

7. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I';m really tired of that warning when it's not necessary. Yes, it's compatible. I have never received any support requests from OSX. I have a mac and it runs just fine.

8. knight2601

knight2601

thanks for the reply, just bought it :)

9. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update News:

I've begun to rewrite the PolyWorld Terrain generator. I've a new idea to make it faster, better, and support automatic LODing so performance will be much faster on lower end devices.

knight2601 and schmosef like this.
  10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The generation, chunking, and placement code has been rewritten so far and it's very encouraging.

Converting a 2048x2048 terrain with a 2048 heightmap to a polyworld terrain takes less than 7 seconds, and that includes automatically splitting the terrain up into 32m chunks.

Just generating this (no chunking, or instancing) in the current version is taking well beyond 5 minutes on my machine.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Terrain Generation Update:

The rewrite is nearing a solid Alpha state and I need some trusted testers who can allot some time and provide good usability and crashtest feedback. Any takers? You'll need Unity 5.1!

Send me an email at support@qt-ent.com with an invoice number for Woodland or Ancient East and we'll get it started.

12. Carlos Rizo

Carlos Rizo

Hi I was just wondering if you can make an update video on the water, because I have been having a really hard time trying to get the water to animate. When I place the script to the water terrain it doesn't move. Please help

13. beanaiz

beanaiz

Hi QuantumTheory, I've been reading through this post and I saw someone asked you about a year ago about the possibility of adding transparency on these shaders and you replied you might work on them some time in the future. Any updates on that? I recently bought polyworld and I came across this problem which I couldn't solve, I was trying to make some see-through objects, with no luck so far. If you made any progress in this direction and you could share it, I'd be very thankful.

Thanks a lot!

PS: Havent worked that much on it yet, but so far, Polyworld seems amazing!

14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update:

The terrain won't be able to have more than 2 LODs: the high detail and the next one down. Long story short, edges of an LOD won't blend with an LOD two steps down without all the edges of the LODS looking like the lowest detailed. Still, the performance benefit is good, just not as huge.

I'll jump on that now.

This could be complicated, but did you want Alpha Blend or Alpha Cutoff? Per-vertex transparency or using an alpha channel of a texture?

15. Carlos Rizo

Carlos Rizo

Thank you. I should say your PolyWorld Asset was worth every penny. Great product.

16. beanaiz

beanaiz

PolyWorldTransparent.png
    This is what I have achieved so far. I change the default vertex colored material (the one assigned by default by Poly World) by one that accepts transparency and I modify its alpha value, but I only get the transparency without preserving the vertex colors. I would like to achieve this level of transparency but keeping the original colors of the object itself. I am a complete beginner with shader programming so I apologize if I haven't answered the questions you asked in your reply.

Thanks a lot!

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Woodland and Ancient East Updated!

* Slight bug in SurfaceNoise which prevented it from running is now fixed.

18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Check your PM

19. U2

U2

Has anyone gotten Polyworld to work with Voxeland yet?

I should mention that I love Polyworld and have bought a few of the packs already. I could potentially use the Unity terrain editor etc.. but you can produce such wicked overhangs, caves etc.. using the voxeland system.Could be epic if they played nice.

Also with the poly mesh converter I get this error more often than not...

Shader assigned to material: Rocks GameObject: Rock2 does not have a _Color or _MainTex property.
    Use a standard diffuse shader as a workaround. Aborting.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    QT_ConvertMesh:CheckMaterials(GameObject[]) (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ConvertMesh.cs:218)
    QT_ConvertMesh:OnGUI() (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Editor/QT_ConvertMesh.cs:118)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Is there a fix in the process for this. Im in Unity version 5.1.2 and it updated the materials etc.. of my assets so to make it work in polyworld do I need to change all the materials on all my objects?

The irony here is this error was generated on a mesh that was using a material created using the QuantumTheory/VertexColors/Unit5/Diffuse Texture shader

Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
  20. Recon03

Recon03

I know this is a bit old, but no school is a strong word.. You should of said maybe some.. Because when I went to college for game development, we did a ton of business classes that dealt with budgeting. Which I already knew since I already owned a business for over 15 years prior ,not games but business is business. Then Profiling, I also had seen some teachers teach it, and some didn't. I already knew how anyways, but many students did not..

But I bet there are many schools that may not teach this stuff.. I just no ours did... So again saying no schools is not 100% correct.. Thats the only reason I said something, because I know a friend who went to another school in my state and they were teaching this stuff as well.. So maybe its certain areas that may not.. Not sure..

But I do agree some Indies seem to lack, when it comes to knowing anything about performance of a game.. When I ask some streamers about combine a mesh, or an Atlas they have no clue what this is or what to do. Some say they released four games already.. So I get your point about the indie thing, but not everyone has went to school, I bet alot are self taught.

PS: I went to school for Game Development, who went through every step of game design, including, Game documents, Business , Programming, level design, modeling, 2D art, Photoshop, and more... Some subjects had more then one class, like Programming, we had about 8, and Business I believe about five or so.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2015
  21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I doubt Voxeland is compatible as it is no longer a heightfield.

This is working as intended. The material that is assigned to the object need to have a shader that uses at least one of those two default shader variables. Pretty much every default shader in Unity uses them. Yes, you'll need to change any materials used by models you want to convert. Or, edit the shaders to use those variable names.[/quote][/QUOTE]

22. ina

ina

Any update on whether there's a transparency-supporting shader avail?

Basically, I am using this with another plugin - MeshExploder - which nicely fades out the exploded vertices... (I am making a game called the Glass Menagerie with exploding glass animals!) but that assumes the material shader supports transparency

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  23. ina

ina

Is there way to "bake down" vertex texture to just flat standard diffuse texture (or other standard shaders)?

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I haven't had time to work on the transparency shader as I'm preparing for Unite.

You can bake down the vertex color to texture in code. It's not supported in Polyworld, but you essentially have to get a vertex color, get the uv coordinate of that vertex, then just do a SetPixel command to a texture2d. Do that for every vertex in the mesh, as long as it has UVs, and you'll have a texture.

25. ina

ina

Now that unite is over - do you think you can post that transparency shader that several of us have been asking for dozens of posts back?

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update!

Woodland and Ancient East are now updated with Alpha shaders. SurfaceNoise now requires a camera to be specified. Some old shaders were removed. And the Woodland demo scenes now have SurfaceNoise properly hooked up.

28. Goon-Studios

Goon-Studios

We are looking into getting the Woodland pack for our project. We think it looks awesome, but we are a bit wary becuase we have gotten burned before on this question. :(

Does anyone know if the built in shaders work for PS4 builds? I get the feeling that the shaders would be fine, or need minor edits, but I thought I might as well ask first.

Thanks, and keep up the awesome work.

29. schmosef

schmosef

Using the latest update from the asset store (the version # is 1.941), I'm getting an error when I run the demo scene for PolyWord in Unity 5.2.1p3:

Error with PolyWord.png

The mobile scene works fine.

30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

5.2 *sigh* I've no idea what Unity is doing with these versions.

I'll look into this as I've not seen it before.

schmosef likes this.
  31. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

They're untested for PS4, but they're also not that special as they just use vertex color as the albedo and unity's default lighting model.

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I've updated each pack today. Give them a try. Or, just clear the lightmapping data.

33. schmosef

schmosef

Thanks, I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Edit: Yep, both scenes open and run fine now. I tested with Unity 5.3.0b2.

There are some missing prefabs in the main scene but that's not a big deal.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  34. Goon-Studios

Goon-Studios

Okay, great. Well look into if this the route we want to go. Thanks for the feedback.

35. LaralynM

LaralynM

I just bought the Ancient East pack, and it's crashing when I try to import or load it. I only need a few elements right now so I experimented and discovered the Clouds mesh folder reliably crashes my project. There may be a few others (I only wanted to use a few parts of it right off) but the Clouds are a definite culprit. I have the latest version of Unity. Let me know if there's more info I can pass along.

36. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks for the heads up and I apologize for the crash. Everything was smooth until Unity 5.2. It seems their automatic uvw unwrapper tool is crashing on some meshes as it did the same thing with PolyWorld: Woodland. I'll diagnose if there are any other meshes.

You can workaround it when it the UnwrapCL.exe crashes by choosing to "debug the program" then hitting cancel on the next window. The cloud likely won't get lightmap uvs if you were to make it static until I fix it.

37. Nitroglycerin_

Nitroglycerin_

This is awesome, just wish it was free

38. VoidGames

VoidGames

Hi, So far i really dig this product!

However when I checked my project today, I noticed some strange lines running through my terrain, So I'm wondering how to get rid of them.

Here's some screens of what it looks like. http://imgur.com/a/PxAQ3

Thank you and have a great day!!

39. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks for the kind words! That certainly looks odd. Shoot me an email at support@qt-ent.com with some more details and I'll get it worked out.

40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It's coming!
    The terrain conversion script has been rewritten entirely. Now, it's 100x faster, more stable, always chunks up the terrain based on the size you choose, allows for more color control options, doesn't use the Game View for rendering vertex colors, and is now a Game Object component you attach to your terrains!

Oh, and it generates an LOD level whose edges match the higher LOD's edges perfectly. It's just about ready to go, I just need to revise the documentaton, record some videos, take some shots, and it'll be ready for release.

docsavage likes this.
  41. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

Just a quick question. Is the Advanced Environments Texturing Methods offer only available to recent purchasers of the packs or is it available to all purchases?

I purchased the Polyworld Woodland pack end of july 2014 and was wondering if the offer is available.

Sorry if not best place to ask.

Thanks

Doc

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Send me an email at support@qt-ent.com with your invoice number.

43. docsavage

docsavage

Hi,

I have sent the email. Thanks a lot for this. I look forward to looking through it.

Thanks

44. amiri.76

amiri.76

Hello
    I have bought your pack and i want to know how to keep the maximum texture quality on my charachters
    In addition , I want to keep Player's Squad Number that printed on their Clothes
    How can i do that ? Test.png

45. VoidGames

VoidGames

Hello!

So I fixed my last issue by simply regenerating the conversion script for the terrain, and that seemed to fix it...

However now my problem is whenever I add light to my scene, the terrains all turn black instantly, and when I take out light they go back to normal..

Here's what it looks like without light on

Now here's what it looks like WITH light on

Thanks for your help!

46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Your players' numbers should probably be a floating decal instead of embedded on the player's geometry. Convert the characters without the number on them, then add the geometry decal as a child of the character.

47. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

There could be a bunch of things. But without knowing more about your scene, I would suggest making sure your lighting window has the little "auto" checkbox turned on.

PolyWorld shaders are 100% compatible with all light types and rendering paths, so it it likely something unique to your project or hardware.

48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Version 2.0 of PolyWorld: Woodland and Ancient East are now available in the store!
    Link
    Be sure to test the new PolyWorld Terrain Component and see how much faster/better/easier it is to make your own low poly worlds!

49. ina

ina

Is there a way to completely bake down both geometry and texture - i.e., to not require the original high-poly fbx in the final project?

50. ina

ina

Also - is there a easy way to change specific vertex colors