Search Unity

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

@adhdchris, shoot me an email at support@qt-ent.com with your invoice number. This looks like a Unity 5 issue rather than a Polyworld one.

2. adhdchris

adhdchris

Emailed you the invoice #, and yep, it's only happening in Unity 5 and only when the base mesh is split into submeshes. Actually it seems to process the MeshPart0, but once it gets to MeshPart1 it errors out.

Edit:
    Scratch that, updating Unity to 5.0.2p4 fixed the issue.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  3. lazygunn

lazygunn

The guys at Oculus have been somewhat lukewarm in regard to an overflow of Unity-based VR experiences being created as VR takes hold by those not considerate to the demands of VR as an experience. John Carmack even pulls funny faces at his keynotes aha, not because they dont like the idea of VR authoring taking off, and at every level of expertise, but that if a large amount of the output runs at suboptimal performance, disregards Oculus (and others') guidelines, which are demanding to say the least (75-90fps at least on what will probably be 4k displays?) there will be a bunch of VR newcomers getting nauseous, frustrated and mislead as regards to the abilities and further potential of the technology, the whole 'poisoning of the well', so it's good there's some straightforward ways to get a good aesthetic that will run at a suitable clip. The look reminds me of Vista on the Amiga, except in realtime, and you can pile on the detail and it'll still not miss a beat, it's very nice. It could be worth pushing the VR side of things in some way really, especially the notion that 'realistic' does not always mean 'good' in VR - the polyworld kind of look or even the games in the halflife series, which have quite pared down visuals in comparison to recent releases give me a better feeling than the newer tech heavy visuals

If I had one feature request however it would be some kind of realtime processing to get the look, particularly so it could be applied to voxel terrain that is being deformed on the fly, heres hoping

4. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

PolyWorld Interiors has started!

Expect tons of interior props, better coloring, physics, and tons of room and architectural combinations.

This is a shot straight from 3dsmax. Some assets are of a higher triangle count right now, but they will be reduced a little bit when I begin coloring.

GreenBoxInteractive and xenius like this.
  5. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It's an interesting point, but it's silly for Carmack to expect these indies to hit the budget when they have no idea how. My fear has always been that there is this coming storm where the large majority of indies have currently no clue on how to budget their content and product for performance. I mean, meaningfully budget their content. Every time I hear a conversation that focuses squarely on draw calls I know where their expertise lies.

No school or online tutorial service is teaching anyone anything useful for performance profiling and budgeting for their games. Granted, it can be circumstantial, but as time goes on and technology moves, many people are going to be left behind making 2d games because "they run faster." I believe this is partly why there are so few 3D games on mobile.

6. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Today I'm starting on the modular walls. There will be sets of modular walls for different interior types: village, town, basement, etc.

I'm also experimenting with better floor pieces that tile better. The typical Polyworld floors always have a nice perfect line at their extents. I'm using an alternate floor generation method that yields much cooler and more varied results.

Plus I'm glad to say that the interior pack will be higher triangle count

IndieAner3d likes this.
  7. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Today has been a day of experimenting with how I will do all the modular walls and floors. I've came up with a system that could turn out to be pretty cool. I have a base dirt/grunge plane, then I couple it with another piece of geometry that can be offset and scaled to create different surface depth. It's working pretty well so far. Ideally the user won't have to keep clicking and dragging from the project view to place meshes. The goal is to have things wrapped up in a single prefab with options exposed to the parent that control the children.

This shot consists of walls and floors for the Basement interior type.

I also think it would be wise to break up this thread into other threads. Polyworld will be several iterations and it can be tough to keep track of everything. My next post here will probably come with a link to the Interiors thread. This thread will continue for Woodland and Ancient East.

IndieAner3d likes this.
  8. HenryChinaski

HenryChinaski

Awesome looking Asset, I am very interested. Mainly in the MeshConverter.

You say: "Convert any mesh, even characters, to the PolyWorld style."
    In the update log you say: "Triangle limit on converted meshes is now the same as Unity's limit."

Whats right? I have got a lot of models, also Characters which I want to convert with your tool.
    What is the triangle limit? In the past I had problems to reduce the polygons with 3D Modeling software, because either the materials or the bones broke.

Edit:
    One more question. Are you able to set the level of "polygonisation"? If I have got different models with different polycounts, am I able to make them look similar in their appearence?

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  9. IndieAner3d

IndieAner3d

HaHa ^^
    Very niceee ^^

Your Asset
    Conjunct a Terrain,Mesh Converter(for PolyArt) + a Combiner Oo
    And now
    You add a + Modular/Interior Generator to that...! Oo
    Just Awesome ^o^

Also interesting,
    that it mix the children... of prefabs... ;---)))
    Good Idea to create a new Thread for that too...
    I´m curious ^_^

10. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

While the Terrain Converter lets you broadly specify the level of detail, the PolyWorld Mesh Converter does not do any sort of mesh reduction. It just changes the vertex normals and the way the mesh is colored.

If you can import the model into Unity, it will convert.

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Those posts are more woody, if that's a word. My next task is to bring some more color and value variety into the basement assets. Here is a shot with dynamic gi and ssao:

MotuProprio likes this.
  12. TKLF

TKLF

Hi, I have the Woodland Set, but don't know how to make my lighting kinda of have that soft glowy-reflective effect? Using Unity 5.1, The Lighting settings don't seem to do anything, even after setting the skybox and the IBL cubemap.

Thanks if you can help :)

13. MIK3K

MIK3K

Hey QuantumTheory, interior stuff looks very nice.

Some guy on steam that sells asset demos as full games - UnitZ ("Uncrowded" on steam) and Decayed State ("The District" on steam) assets so far has chosen Polyworld Woodland ("Grass in dew" steam greenlight) for his next one lol. - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=460094946

Oh s*** it gets even better. Jim Sterling (some famous gaming youtuber) has a video about it haha. -

Sorry, your assets are tremendous, but this guy is so bad it's hilarious.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Send an email to support@qt-ent.com with your invoice number.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

While I agree it's disingenuous to claim something you didn't make as your own, what he is doing is technically legal. Assuming the pack was purchased, users are granted a commercial license to the pack contents. They are only prevented from taking the pack as is and reselling it. If you don't like that game or that author, well, Greenlight gives you the voice you need.

I'm under the impression he took my webplayer demo, recorded it with some shaky cam, and used that in the trailer. He is not authorized to use my website content for his commercial purposes without permission. I'm trying to open a dialogue with no success.

chelnok likes this.
  16. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Guys,

Woodland and Ancient East are updated.

There is a bug with the Unity 5 version of the Terrain Converter where the shader effects from the Standard shader are rendered into vertex colors, tinting the PolyWorld terrain with ambient color. This has been fixed.

The updates should be in the store shortly. To fix your terrains, just re-render the vertex colors.

If you're using Unity 4, this does not affect you.

17. MIK3K

MIK3K

Yeah, I think it is legal like you said. Just really scummy to make the demos from the assets your whole game. It's bad for the gamers because the "dev" didn't actually make the game and there is an expectation (on the early access ones) that the games will be further developed for the money they spent. It's bad for real indie devs that work hard on their games and have to compete with a guy like this bringing down the quality. It's bad for the asset developer who should be sharing in any profits if the guy is just reselling your asset as a full game instead of using it to create something unique.

There are a few guys on steam doing this and I guess on the mobile stores. I don't get mad anymore because they are so bad that other gamers are onto the scam, but I don't impulse buy any games anymore without really looking at the games closely to see if the guy even knows what he is doing. I always thought there should be some kind of certification because when you buy games you can't tell who is a 20 year veteran in the industry or who just decided to make games after a couple of classes in high school.

Anyway, keep on doing what you are doing. I'm just playing with this stuff as a hobbyist. If times get tough I guess I could always try to greenlight some of these assets :)

18. schmosef

schmosef

I've tried three times now to import the latest update for PolyWorld from the asset store and each time, the Unity Editor crashes during the API update phase.

I'm using Unity 5.1.1.

Anyone else having this issue?

19. MIK3K

MIK3K

I just tried it in a pretty clean project and it's been locked up for about half an hour now so killed it from task manager. I think it might be more a Unity problem with 5.1.1f1 than any asset right now.

Unity wouldn't start up after that so I just went into the project folder and deleted the assets > quantumtheory folder.

I don't know if it's related - I've been having problems with 5.1.1 with THIS problem. I was able to compile with no errors.after following the posts in that thread about duplicate define symbols "DEBUG;" and "TRACE;" in monodevelop "Assembly-UnityScript," having to removing playmaker completely (after trying to remove a bunch of other assets), and finally right clicking "Assembly-UnityScript" > options > compliler > deleting the first "DEBUG; TRACE;" and switching from debug to release in the configuration dropdown box in that same options window. Repeated the above with "Assembly-UnityScript-Editor" and "Assembly-UnityScript-firstpass." That was after the game wouldn't start because of compiler errors but didn't show anything in the console but monodevelop did show the error from the thread I linked.

*Disclaimer - I'm just fumbling around and not a real developer like you guys. I know barely enough to break things and after a while unbreak them.

Edit - I ended up deleting the quantumtheory folder from the project and back to a working Unity, but I kinda think either it's not this specific asset (playmaker wrecks Unity for me also) or this version of Unity maybe changed something that asset creators haven't had time to update yet because I think 5.1.1 just came out a few days ago.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2015
  20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Woodland will take some time to import due to large background mesh object.

There shouldn't be any API update phase since you're getting the version 5 of the asset from the store and it's already updated. That's bogus.

I haven't upgraded to 5.1.1 so I can't repro just yet.

21. leegod

leegod

Hi. I have question about Polyworld kit. It looks great!

So I want to make randomly generated procedural environment like Minecraft's.

Does Polyworld support it? Of course I want environment generated based on 'make sense' random, not 'chaos' random.

So the world should have 1 or 2 villages, random caves, hills, plains, desert, water, river etc, but they are all should positioned random. Within terrain range I can set, and I should can manipulate how many those villages, caves can generated.

Polyworld kit can do this? if not, can you recommend some asset that can do it?

Thanks.

22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

PolyWorld doesn't create meshes from nothing, nor does it convert things at runtime. You can certainly randomly place all the meshes like trees, buildings, props, etc procedurally, but you'll need some script that does that. Terrain has to be done in the editor.

23. leegod

leegod

And is this support grid based movement or select? I am thinking to use at turn based or grid based game based on Polyworld. If should use another 3rd party grid or tile set for that, can you recommend some?

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm not sure what the distinction is, but I don't think it would require a custom grid solution. Everything is built with a grid size of 0.5m.

25. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Yeah - I'm seeing 5.1.1 issues as well like the ones below.

Failed setting triangles. Some indices are referencing out of bounds vertices. IndexCount: 744, VertexCount: 61287
    UnityEditor.UnityBuildPostprocessor:OnPostprocessScene()

Not allowed to access vertices on mesh 'Combined Mesh (root: scene) 6 Instance'
    UnityEngine.Mesh:get_vertices()
    QT_SurfaceNoise:Start() (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Scripts/QT_SurfaceNoise.cs:63)

One or more meshes in SceneTerrain-Water-Scene's hierarchy is tagged static. SurfaceNoise requires all objects to be not tagged static.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
    QT_SurfaceNoise:OnRenderObject() (at Assets/Quantum Theory/Polyworld/Scripts/QT_SurfaceNoise.cs:112)

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

On the first error, I'll look into.

The other two are related to an object tagged as static when it's not supposed to. The solution is right there in front of you..

27. schmosef

schmosef

Have you tested importing to a new Unity 5.1.1 project yet? It still crashes the Editor for me.

28. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Thanks - the other two errors are from the sample scenes

29. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

That is bizarre. I'm on Unity 5.1.1f1 and it imported flawlessly and ran the API conversion just fine. Send me an email to support@qt-ent.com with your invoice number and I'll do some more tests.

30. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

What are you trying to do when the first error occurs? Please send an email to support@qt-ent.com with your invoice number so I can handle your request better.

31. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

After a week of working on a different project, I'm back on Interiors.

Added a bunch of different wall varieties, windows, curtains, ceiling varieties.. Cleaned up the assets I didn't like and made some better ones. Release isn't too far away!

Still to do: stairs, prop texturing, prop placement, demo scenes!

GreenBoxInteractive likes this.
  32. schmosef

schmosef

Sorry, I didn't see this before.

I'm about to install the 5.2 beta and was going to try importing PolyWorld with it. If it still crashes the Editor I'll send you an email.

Edit: No issues importing into a new Unity 5.2.0b2 project.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2015
  33. gonfix

gonfix

Hello, I bought this asset and it is great. I'm having a small issue and I was wondering if you could help me. I may just be the biggest noob but when I create terrain and paint textures on to it then use Polyworld terrain converter everything works fine but then I get to the "Bake Vertex Color" part and all the textures are dark, so it creates a perfectly polygonal world but all the colors are darker than the colors on the actual texture. I notice that when I click on "Bake Vertex Color" I get a very fast preview of the texture that are a dark color.

Here is a quick image to illustrate my point.

Attached Files:

34. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Update PolyWorld: Woodland to the latest and see if it still occurs. This bug was fixed recently.

35. gonfix

gonfix

Hi, thank you for the extremely quick response.
    I am currently on version 1.9 which I believe is the latest and I still get darker terrain.

36. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

1.91 is the latest. Email me at support@qt-ent.com with your invoice number. Thanks!

37. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Ancient East and Woodland have been updated!

- shader fixes which include fog for vertex lit rendering path
    - disabled all the old IBL references which should increase performance
    - fixed camera depth issue
    - fixed terrain static issue
    - SurfaceNoise optimization

38. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Announcing PolyWorld: Fantasy Interiors! Coming to the Asset Store very soon!

Enjoy this video overview! A unique forum thread will soon folllow announcing the details.

Async0x42 likes this.
  39. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hey this looks good, a thought i had was if you could provide a 'best practices' kind of guide for optimum lighting and general composition advice, given the look. I naturally consider myself god of art but i think i'd learn something or other

40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Oh you just want all my secrets... ;) It's a good idea, but it wouldn't be something that's just PolyWorld-focused.

41. lazygunn

lazygunn

Thats fine, i've still to watch your texture painting training i got as a deal, shame on me really, but then again half the reason i like stuff like polyworld is i can escape from textures! dDo doesn't count

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

If you're having difficulty, you really should watch the series. I'm certain you'll feel much better about it. The lessons and techniques are not found through a google search, I can tell you that..

43. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ahh yeah, i knew it was quality stuff, in fact if nothing exciting happens this morning i might get started

Edit: Lecture 7. The world has become a better place

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  44. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

PolyWorld: Fantasy Interiors has been Submitted to the Asset Store!

In the meantime, why not check out the webpage which includes new screenshots, videos, and a webplayer demo? :D

Async0x42 likes this.
  45. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I've updated the first post of the thread with information on all PolyWorld packs!

If you're tried the demo or purchased Fantasy Interiors, feedback and reviews is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

47. Async0x42

Async0x42

Does the Modify Color component in the Ancient East Toolkit work on all of the other packs?
    Edit: I see that they are, missed that line reading on my phone!

Were you working on some sort of tool for 2D on the side? I though I saw something about it a while back, but I could be wrong and it was another thread..

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

There are two methods to color assets with ModifyColor:

1. When an asset is converted using the Mesh Converter, you can use ModifyColor by sampling vertex colors on the mesh and replacing them live in the editor.
    2. If the mesh is included in Woodland or Ancient East and you apply ModifyColor on it, you don't have to sample the colors as the mapping has already been done for you.

This video shows off how the Polyworld meshes already have mapping applied so you can remap colors quickly and logically:

If you generated the mesh through the mesh converter, it's done this way:

Right now, as of 7/26/2015, Fantasy Interiors doesn't automatically work with ModifyColor like the other packs do in the first video. I will be setting that up in a forthcoming update. You can still use it like video 2 though.

49. gilley033

gilley033

Any update on the animated vertex shader for water/cloth? Is that still planned? I'm trying to add this to one of the existing shaders from your pack but I'm a total shader noob and not sure if it's even possible.

50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I, too, am a shader noob. I have not started work on the vertex shader to animate vertices because it might not light correctly. But reading some more it just might since all the vertex normals of a triangle on a faceted mesh are the same.

In the meantime, have you tried the SurfaceNoise script? It has some good features but it's done on the CPU.