Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

--PolyWorld-- Low Poly Toolkits and More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Apr 9, 2014.

?

Would you consider purchasing prefab PolyWorld scenes, crafted by me, and published in the store?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2015.
  1. Yes, only if they are budgeted for performance, utilize existing packages, and have enough variety.

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. No, I just want new packs.

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

You're running the meshcombine on the prefab which has LODs. It combines all the meshes in the selection, so what you're seeing is the LODs all combined into one mesh.

I don't have support for intelligently combining LODs and reassembling an LOD group which is inevitably what you're going to request ;) I'll put it on the to-do pile, but that one will take some thinking.

twobob likes this.
  2. RangePlusOne

RangePlusOne

Hey guys, I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out how to make foot step audio work with UFPS or if it's even possible? UFPS has the kind of set up where if you walk over a specific texture, it makes the foot step sound assigned to it. (look at image below) Any chance the same could work somehow in Polyworld?

Attached Files:

3. twobob

twobob

Nope I am not going to request that.
    That is very reasonably outside the scope of this product at this time.

Now I know I will simply split them apart and remake the LODs. Schoolboy Error.
    Thanks for investigating.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  4. twobob

twobob

Assign Physics Material to surface. OnGround check test for surface type, check motion speed, play loop of sounds at motion speed. <-- The old fave

Alternately just play a sound everytime you step forward differing based on a Trigger area you entered/left <-- Simple

Or assign a layer to each sound type and test for the layer you hit <-- bitwise, not scalable

Or give each item a tag that has a higher level taxonomy of sounds associated with it. <- Dirty, can leave garbage

Or check for the Colliders .name and then trigger based on that<-- Also sometimes questionable practice

or... well .. There are a few ways. Totally doable. Make a list, link it to another list. boom.

My personal favourite most obscure way I did recently was check the pixel color AND tag of the collided object and reverse work out what shape was clicked. Just to be difficult :p http://kaycare.co.uk/games/shapes/

Good luck

(and I already have footstep sounds - in polyworld - thanks to the Standard Assets 1st Person Controller, thus all the code is basically there, so you can even go check out an example)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  5. cj31387

cj31387

How will this work with realtime GI? Are you making any changes to the shaders to accommodate realtime GI? Color bleeding and ambient light from skyboxes etc...?

6. twobob

twobob

AFAIK

7. MIK3K

MIK3K

I think I've learned the most about Unity and making games by just reading twobob's posts. Great stuff. I have been thinking about how to solve the different footsteps on Polyworld terrains for the past month or so and all I had to do was wait for your post above.

Are your pics on the previous page in Unity 5? I didn't even consider Unity 5 until yesterday when they announced the free version was going to have all the good stuff too. Now I'm purging all my Unity 4 learning projects and beginning with a clean slate with everything I've learned so far, even the C# scripting, all 2 lines of it.

I was just thinking how ironic that the Master of Polyworld is teaching a master's course in texturing.

Maybe in a day or two I will start making Polyworld stuff again. OHHHH, I just realized I can check right now by importing one of the Polyworld packs. *facepalm*

/end random thoughts. :)

twobob likes this.
  8. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Disregard this. Awesome.

There is a new dropdown in the Mesh Renderer component regarding shadow casting. For 2d objects (planes, terrain) that have shadow casting artifacts, make the dropdown "two-sided."

This is only for Unity 5. The problem doesn't exist in 4.

twobob likes this.
  9. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Man oh man. The changes they did in U5..

Small update to the effort of conversion: Chunked terrain gets a very small amount of lightmap UV space, so I'm adding an automatic regenerate lightmap uvs when the chunks are made. This fixed awful lighting in U5 and enables me to proceed with the mobile scene.

10. cj31387

cj31387

Any ETA on updating polyworld woodland to realtime GI, and UE5?

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Very soon. I just need to figure out how to do lighting all over again. Plus, it's much slower than beast.

12. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Sneakpeak picture? :)

13. cj31387

cj31387

+1 id like to see a preview of how polyworld looks with GI too :)

14. neoUFO

neoUFO

I'm having issues with fog (both RenderSettings fog and Global with FX) in Unity 5 when using IBL shaders (VertexLit QT shader works well but I get no shadows with that shader). Is this an issue that will be fixed in the next update?

15. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This is rediculous..

Would you guys be disappointed if I submitted the U5 update without a baked version of the mobile demo scene? I think something is broken with enlighten..

Odd. In any case, I made a modification to all the shaders for Unity5. The IBL cubemap is removed since ithe ambient is now in the sky as it should be. The vertex lit shader works as expected. These changes will be in the unity 5 update coming very soon.

16. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

i personally don't need mobile support :)

17. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Conversion is taking longer than expected due to cryptic enlighten errors. Going to try to work around it this evening.

C5G likes this.
  18. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Hi. Polyworld looks incredibly great. I wanna ask about unity's build-in terrain engine. Is it possible to bake vertex color directly to unity terrain ?. So can i render terrain like polyworld with custom shaders.

19. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

If it was, I'd be doing it already ;) You'd have to get the sourcecode to the terrain system, which isn't available, and go from there. Otherwise, you'd have to write your own or convert it to a standard mesh which is what PolyWorld does.

20. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Thanks. I decided to buy and use your tool to convert terrain to meshes with LOD levels. But i should find a solution for seams between two terrain. There will be seams when two terrain meshes are in different LOD levels.

A solution like this : )
    neksd.JPG

21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I would love to be able to take the Unity Terrain system and just add support for vertex colors and broken faces. I simply lack the knowledge. I might be able to do it had the terrain system source been made available. Alas, it has not.

22. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

I Found a cheap but efficient solution for seams between resolutions. Just sampling sides in lower resolution :) . Full > HalfEdges

Here the result
    before and after Befrore.JPG after.JPG

twobob likes this.
  23. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

PolyWorld Woodland v1.9 is now available! This release is a maintenance release to get things stable for Unity 5.
    • Unity 5 compatibility
    • Added linear shaders
    • Added Unity 5 shaders which remove the IBL cubemap option, found in the QuantumTheory/VertexColors/Unity5 category. Use a real skybox for ambient now. Old shaders are still included.
    • Miscellaneous fixes to mesh converter and terrain generation.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    twobob likes this.
  24. cj31387

cj31387

Do you know any exporter on the asset store that will export polyworld models with vertex color to fbx or something, other than Export2Maya? I'm wanting to go for a no lighting look for my characters and need to import them in 3ds max and bake the vertex color to texture.

25. OnePxl

OnePxl

Try X-Change 3D if you're on Windows, otherwise Skele has a DAE exporter.

26. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Here some stats : )

neksde.JPG

twobob likes this.
  27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This looks really nice. Is the script you use to generate LODs something you wrote or found elsewhere?

28. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

I did not write scripts for LODs yet, made it all manually with LOD group. But i will do it as soon as possible. I just edited your terrain exporting pipline. For example when exporting in Full resolution it is mapping in Half resolution sides of mesh.

twobob likes this.
  29. cj31387

cj31387

Xchange and Skele both don't export vertex color or I'm doing something wrong. I load them up in 3ds max and assign a vertex color shader to diffuse and they do not show up, also in unreal setting vertex color to the diffuse and nothing shows. Skele actually shows some kb of data in vertex color channel in max but it doesnt show up in render. X-Change shows 0kb in vertex color channel.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  30. Lordinarius

Lordinarius

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    SAOTA likes this.
  31. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

Thats awesome!!!! Can you please please please make a video tutorial how to archive this?????? Please!??!

32. twobob

twobob

@Devision4 Open TC, (there are example included when you buy it) or just watch an online vid (there are lots) to get to the point where you can create 4x4 terrains and some info for the height-maps (that's procedural in most cases), It was about 5 mins of "Getting Started" video in the "How To Use The Examples" video for me. that was enough to produce what is pictured below

As stated in that video:
    Press Start (or Generate for the various components, in this case heightmap
    multiTileHieghtSpanning.JPG
    repeat process for the splatmap
    ProceduralSplatMaps-colourtationII.JPG
    at this point you can just convert the resulting terrains if that is enough for you.
    EDIT: As mentioned in the Polyworld Getting Started videos adjusting the usual splats MUCH bigger often gives nice results.

if you work from a more photographic reference to begin with... Those are the results you are likely to get.

This can be a good trick to inject detail when viewed from far away:
    FarAway.JPG

And that up close
    UpClose.JPG

As the OP said - at that point full screen color corrections can come into play

This isn't a video guide of HOWTO with PolyWorld and TC - but it is a Guerrilla guide to getting something close to that which you intended.

Hope it helps.

I have an incredibly trivial tree and stone generator that chucks some trees on randomly after that.

Given a bit more thought one could do incredible things...
    ground3.JPG

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
    MIK3K and OnePxl like this.
  33. pushingpandas

pushingpandas

thank you twobob!

twobob likes this.
  34. blueivy

blueivy

Wow, this picture is what I want to achieve with poly world. Right now I don't quite like the blurryness it gives the texture. I quite like sharp and faceted, is something like this achievable yet?

35. twobob

twobob

The Answer at the time was no.

I have actually achieved a similar effect using negative contrast IBL but that affects the lighting in a very non-real way.

"Not easily" without splitting apart the various colours into separate meshes at which point it does become easy.
    Assuming you are using bits and pieces and not expecting "simple and easy" it's a yes

blueivy likes this.
  36. blueivy

blueivy

Thanks for the reply :D a few questions, is it easy to split apart the various colors? How would I go about doing that? And when that's done how does it become easy, do I just jack up a slider? Again thanks for the help I really wanna go for that sort of art style.

37. twobob

twobob

Well - depending on what you want. I suppose a totally inverted IBL that was re-rendered back onto the mesh could do the job - I am totally just spit-balling - you would have to play. Splitting mesh is as hard as your toolset makes it. Unity doesn't support mesh editing OOTB but there are lots of extensions or indeed free 3rd party software that can do this.

It's tough to say how "Hard" something might be without knowing a really lot about you, and your setup.

I would say 2 out 5 in terms of "Objective toughness" - 1 of which is "learning how to", the other 1 of which is "bothering to" the 958th times ;)

38. blueivy

blueivy

Knowing my skills, or lack thereof I would rate that as hard, but of course good things don't come without hard work, so I would be willing to learn how to do that. But what I was really hoping for was that he had implemented this

"If I could have a terrain shader that jacks up the contrast of the splat map so that it's essentially 1 bit in each channel, you *might* get something similar when all is said and done."

39. twobob

twobob

This is awesome. would love to see the implementation. like... a lot.

40. twobob

twobob

meh yeah, you have to learn stuff. every day, pretty much, if you want to continually write exciting entertainment stuff.
    I feel I did bake a VERY sharp colored mesh at one point, not exactly that but, not dissimilar, using inverted (i.e. negative value ) IBL, however that does mess up the lighting so I think I rebaked it - or something. It's been a while.

Anyways, yes, splitting meshes requires a tool and a bit of knowledge. not much. How well these meshes would easily split in all tools I do not know. Also if you would get "what you want" I don't know. I do know that you will never get it if you don't try.

Good fortune.

blueivy likes this.
  41. blueivy

blueivy

Also I think an important difference is the size of the faceted triangles. I think these two pictures are sort of comparable only because they both show a snowy mountain. But the top one has large darker, defined triangles, while the bottom one is a bunch of little triangles that almost blend into each other. is triangle size something that can be controlled in polyworld?

42. twobob

twobob

43. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Regarding Color:
    Getting perfectly sharp transitions requires separate geometry.

Or, just paint flat colors on the terrain. Be sure to match the resolution of the heightmap with the resolution of the control texture. Paint whatever, then set the filtering on the splat map to Point. This helps a little bit but won't get you all the way there. There are a number of things happening under the hood I still need to fix yet, namely completely flat triangles are still sharing vertices and therefore smoothing the vertex colors.

I should also try sampling the center of the face for color information and not the vertex uv. That should do it.

Regarding the Triangle layout of the mountains:

That wasn't modeled like that. The author most likely modeled it with quads then decimated the geometry to hell. Boom. Art.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
    blueivy likes this.
  44. GreenBoxInteractive

GreenBoxInteractive

This looks amazing, I can't wait to use it.

I think it will make a valuable addition to my project. I am planning on making a Medieval Crime Solver.

Good work QuantumTheory!

45. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Thanks!

BTW, I've submitted my resignation to Ubisoft. I'll be working on PolyWorld and even more stuff full time come April 10th!

46. twobob

twobob

47. lazygunn

lazygunn

Good luck with future endeavours!

48. GreenBoxInteractive

GreenBoxInteractive

Does the woodland kit come with the surface noise script?

49. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

All PolyWorld packs have SurfaceNoise, Mesh Converter, Terrain Converter, and Mesh Combine.

GreenBoxInteractive likes this.
  50. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

PolyWorld: Ancient East is now updated to be Unity 5 compatible.

v1.1
    - Added support for Unity 5
    - Removed IBL cubemap option for new unity 5 shaders
    - Relit demo scenes with Enlighten
    - fixed issue with UV2 generation with terrain meshes. Lightmaps now have a more consistent texel size as the surrounding environment.
    -fixed meshcombine issue

Woodland has these fixes as well. Both packs have Linear vertex color shaders.

twobob likes this.