Search Unity

Polygon Material Painter - Sub Mesh Editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by _geo__, Mar 20, 2023.

1. _geo__

_geo__

Links: Asset Store, Manual

Create new sub meshes inside Unity for any model. Assign your materials with ease.
    CoverImage_1950x1300.png

✔️ Non-Destructive workflow
    ✔️ Skinned Mesh Support
    ✔️ Blend Shape Support
    ✔️ Brush for high-poly meshes
    ✔️ Undo/Redo for selections
    ✔️ .OBJ Export
    ✔️ Full Source Code included!
    ✔️ Supports Unity 2020, 2021, 2022, ... LTS

⚠️ This is NOT a runtime system. It is EDITOR only.

✍️ Usage
    1) Open the tool via Tools > Polygon Material Painter > Start (or via the Tools bar).
    2) Select the object you want to paint on.
    3) Pick the triangles.
    4) Hit the "Assign" button.
    5) Done, you will now have a new .asset with the materials and sub-meshes.

HINT 1:
    Select one single triangle and then hit the "Select Linked" button. It may already select everything you need.

HINT 2:
    If you press S while selecting you can trigger "Select Linked". And if you press SHIFT + S you can deselect-linked.

HINT 3:
    Reduce the brush size to 0 to select only one triangle at a time. Use SHIFT + MOUSE WHEEL to change the brush size.

HINT 4:
    Hit the "Assign" button again on any materials to re-use your last selection.

HINT 5:
    Hit Escape twice to quickly exit the tool.

Hope you like it.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
    sirleto, Brian-Ryer and neptoonism like this.
  2. Brian-Ryer

Brian-Ryer

Hi there _geo_
    I was just wondering if it would at all be possible to some how add a feature that if I apply materials with only color values to somehow bake that out as a single material/texture ID map, to create a ID map so then I could take it in to Mixer/Substance Painter and apply and tweak materials to the desired ID color whilst only using one material texture?

Cheers.

3. _geo__

_geo__

Hi,
    that's an interesting idea, though I fear it is a bit out of scope for this asset. I am sorry to say that currently I do not really have any plans to add this feature. Maybe if I find some time I'll try to take a look (no promises).

However, if you want to give it a go yourself then you can take a look into the "AssignMaterial()" method in the "MeshModifier" class. After the "// Apply tris to mesh" section you could read the sub meshes and UVs and write colors to a texture (one color per sub mesh index). Then apply a dilation filter on it and you should have what you wanted.

I hope that answeres you question :)

4. Sabso

Sabso

Hi, I was looking into buying some of your tools. It says it works with skinned meshes, but I'm wondering if it would work with this asset pack specifically:

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/3d/characters/animals/quirky-series-free-animals-pack-178235

The models are a single mesh, and I wanted to break the meshes up into submeshes for better color/material control without breaking all the animations and blendshapes. The asset info doesn't mention blendshapes specifically so I wanted to know if you could confirm.

The pack I linked is a free asset, I would greatly appreciate if you could confirm that everything will still work.

Thanks for your time.

5. _geo__

_geo__

Hi, sorry for my late reply (must have missed the alert on your question).
    Blend Shape support is not included in the current version but I'll look into it.

UPDATE: I think I have a working beta version now. I'll still have to test it but if all goes well it will be available as version 1.3 in the store soon (couple of days).

Here is a quick test on one of the models you mentioned:

Last edited: Dec 5, 2023
    Sabso and halley like this.
  6. Sabso

Sabso

Looking good, thanks for the quick upgrade to the asset. I'll purchase it when the update comes out.

_geo__ likes this.
  7. jeffreymlynch

jeffreymlynch

Hi! I purchased the Mesh Tools Bundle (love it, btw!) a while back before the Mesh Tools Bundle was available. Would you consider plans to generously/proportionately discount the price of the bundle for those who have purchased one or more of the tools already?

_geo__ likes this.
  8. _geo__

_geo__

Hi, yes that's actually a nice idea. I'll get right to it. :)

I did not quite understood that sentence. I assume you meant you got the Polygon Painter before the bundle was released, right?

UPDATE: I have now created the discounted upgrade paths. Not sure how long it will take for them to show up.

Caveat #1: If you have already purchased multiple assets of the bundle then you will only get the discount for one asset, not both. It seems like Unity can't sum them up (or at least I have not found a way to do it). Still, I think this is better than nothing. Thanks for asking!

Caveat #2: The discount won't show on the shop overview (the asset lists or if you search for it). It only shows on the full asset page (or at least that's how it was the last time I checked).

Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  9. jeffreymlynch

jeffreymlynch

Oops, I meant to type I purchased Mesh Extractor but my mind must have skipped ahead. I wasn't aware of Polygon Material Painter or Double Sided Mesh until I spotted the bundle some time later. Thank you so much; the discount showed up and I was able to make the purchase!

_geo__ likes this.