Search Unity

PolyBrush Universal Pipeline and PBR Support

Discussion in 'World Building' started by LaJolly, Dec 4, 2019.

1. LaJolly

LaJolly

Hello, I am looking to find out if PolyBrush is the tool I need for my current project! Does the new Universal Pipeline from Unity support PolyBrush? and if so, will it also have more maps available to artists to re-create a PBR look for layered texture? Currently I can only see access to Albedo and Bump when I also need Roughness/Smoothness and Metalness as well, similar as to what's found with in the standard shader. Will this be available? Thanks in advance!

luixodev likes this.
  2. LaJolly

LaJolly

Hallo? Would love any advice if possible!

3. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi LaJolly! Sorry for the wait, have been on a long break - yes, Polybrush supports Standard, Universal, and HD render pipelines. However, we only provide a couple basic shader examples for Universal and HD, since we can't control/predict/support all the changes users could make. We tried that for awhile ... and failed, it's just not a good option.

However, in both the Universal and HD pipelines, you have access to the Shader Graph tool, which is fun and easy to use for creating custom shaders! This is really the best way, since your game/etc is always going to need custom shaders sooner or later. Let me know if I can help with that, although I'm no expert on using it yet :)

5. LaJolly

LaJolly

Oh I see! Thank you for answer, I must admit I am fairly new to the Unity Shader Graph, do you know of any starter tutorials on how to build a shader within the shader graph for Polybrush specifically? Thank you for the reply!

6. LaJolly

LaJolly

Ok ok! I actually figured it all out via the example graph provided in the new build Polybrush build. Made my own PBR shader, got it working in 2019.3 URP and I am super happy with the results! I look forward to recommending Polybrush and continuing to use it in my projects! :D

Dotti_H and Lars-Steenhoff like this.
  7. Dotti_H

Dotti_H

Hi LaJolly, I'm currently in a similar position - got 2019.4 with URP and Polybrush 1.0.2.

I'd like to do a height-based texture blending for a custom mesh (which eventually I'd like to use as a terrain). I already have 3 PBR texture sets (Base Color, Normal, Roughness, Height maps). So far it seems that Polybrush does not accept my basic PBR Graph as an input for blending. Can you help me a bit how to approach this problem?

8. l0wpoly

l0wpoly

Hi,
    Here's my version of shader with normal maps.
    I assume you can add metallic, smoothness the same way I did with normal map.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2020
  9. Dotti_H

Dotti_H

Wow, thank you gas_gas! I'll look into it shortly!

l0wpoly likes this.
  10. Mantra-Games

Mantra-Games

Gas - thank you so much for this! Much appreciated :)

11. ishangill

ishangill

Hello.
    I need some help about polybrush tool.
    I am using URP pipeline with polybrush but tiling parameter does not exist in polybrush with URP pipeline.
    How can i tiling the textures with URP .

12. ivank

ivank

Hi @gabrielw_unity, would not it be good to include at least an equivalent set of shaders for each pipeline into Polybrush distribution?
    Currently (Uni 2021.1.6f1 + Polybrush 1.1.2) the Texture Blend with normal maps shader is missing in the URP, while available for the Standard Pipeline.
    The URP is "advertised" as the preferred pipeline, and an average user working with Polybrush under URP could expect such a basic functionality(!) working right away, without trying first to find the reason why this feature, even mentioned in the manual, does not work, and then having to learn yet another (pretty complex) package - Shader Graph?
    Its almost shame that this deficiency has to be fixed by the Unity users community - thanks to @l0wpoly post, where he kindly provided the missing shader solving the issue which has unnecessarily cost me (and apparently not only me) few hours...
    Sorry for the rant, but please consider - if not "performance right out of the box", then at least "some basic functionality..." :)

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Agreed, it is not hard for unity to include a shadergraph based shader supporting this in the distribution, plus it then would be modifiable and reasonably future-proof.

Alverik and ivank like this.
  14. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey, to clarify - we do include the URP and HDRP versions of our legacy shaders, which you can import from the Polybrush page in Package Manager :)

If I understand correctly - that is what you are looking for?

15. ivank

ivank

Thanks @gabrielw_unity for quick response, and apology for not being clear in my rant:)
    I am aware of existence of Built-In, URP and HDRP shader sets shown in Package manager.
    What I tried to point out is:
    The URP package imho does not include shader TextureBlend with Normals ("Bump"Maps) as present in built-in and as described in Polybrush Help.
    I tried to use Polybrush to create a kind of small non-rectangular sand/grass backyard, not suitable for the standard Unity "Terrain" object, and missing ability to blend "bumped" textures in URP was an unpleasant surprise.
    Finding the @l0wpoly s "bumped" shader saved my day.

One question if I may - is there still the limit four blending textures per brush in Uni 2021.1 and URP11, or has it been lifted already?

Another note - it seems that it is impossible to adjust the "size" of the brush textures relative to size of the painted object (it means in fact texture scale) both in Built-in and URP default shader sets -> it even further decreases the practical "out of the box" usability of the whole tool...

16. Matsugae

Matsugae

Hey @l0wpoly many thanks for sharing your shader, I think you have saved the day for more than one of us. :)

It seems like this conversation was a long time ago, but hopefully you can read this and give me some help: I'm trying your shader in a project in 2021.3.6f1 with a directional light that uses a cookie texture, but when applying it, the objects that use your shader disappear. What can be the cause? Is there any way to solve it?

Thank you very much in advance.

17. Invertex

Invertex

I've updated @l0wpoly 's ShaderGraph file to use the same Property names that the original shader used, thus allowing anyone upgrading to URP to maintain all their existing Material values and not lose any progress.

The Texture offset/scaling values for both Color and Bump are there now too.
    And this shader will also work in the default pipeline too.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2023
    ekuNNN likes this.
  18. ekuNNN

ekuNNN

Thanks so much @Invertex and @l0wpoly for sharing your solutions. It saved me a lot of time and panic!

19. ZBufferArrow

ZBufferArrow