Search Unity

1. Unity 2018.3 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Want more efficiency in your development work? Sign up to receive weekly tech and creative know-how from Unity experts.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Build games and experiences that can load instantly and without install. Explore the Project Tiny Preview today!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Nominations have been announced for this years Unity Awards. Celebrate the wonderful projects made by your peers this year and get voting! Vote here!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to provide direct feedback to the Unity team? Join the Unity Advisory Panel.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice

Polybrush: Runtime vertex painting

Discussion in 'World Building' started by MechaWolf99, Nov 5, 2018.

1. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

I need to do some vertex painting at runtime and was hopping to use Polybrush rather than having to make my own solution. But there seems to be 0 documentation on the APIs in Polybrush.

So I am wondering if someone can direct me to some docs for it. Tell me how to do it or where to start.
    Or would it be better to just make my own solution from scratch to handle runtime vertex painting?

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there! With Polybrush 1.0 coming out soon, we're waiting a bit before enabling the Public API. Don't want to delay the tool just for that. However, we'll have full documentation and info when that does land (sometime after 1.0). Sorry for the wait!

3. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Okay, cool. Thank you for the reply and update. Are you able to give me an idea for what that soon looks like? Like a couple of weeks? a couple of months? 6+ months?

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

We're shooting for around the same time as Unity 18.3 lands, same for ProBuilder 4.x :) So, within the month perhaps?

hippocoder likes this.
  5. MechaWolf99

MechaWolf99

Cool! Thank you for the quick reply!

6. Tudor

Tudor

Hi, bumping this because I need to know IF polybrush HAS any runtime capabilities, or if it's something limited to the Editor only? (eg does it depend on editor code that isn't available at runtime (build time)?)

Do I need to wait for version 1.0 to do runtime painting? Or were we waiting for v1.0 just for the documentation?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  7. lejean

lejean

Well there is a example in the probuilder package that has runtime face painting..

But I'm also looking for a way to color a vertex only, not a face so ye, an API would be most useful.

8. dadude123

dadude123

Using this API, will we be able to (for example) paint on any mesh? Or does it have to be prepared somehow?
    Could I just, for example, apply one brush stroke of "set vertex color to red" on any `UnityEngine.Mesh`?

9. Tudor

Tudor

Yes the example scenes also work during playmode in the Editor. But the code seems to be heavily involved with `using UnityEditor;` I'm trying to sift through it now and see if/what I can do to get it to work in a build. I just want vertex painting at runtime >_>

[EDIT] For others that want to use Polybrush in builds, for Vertex Painting, look at `
    z_BrushModePaint.cs` and start from `public override void OnBrushMove(z_BrushTarget target, z_BrushSettings settings)` inside there.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

What new features are available? As a signed up probuilder-lover I demand to know.

11. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Have you tried Baking the Vertex to the Mesh, via the PolyBrush Bake Vertex Streams? That could also be a problem in some cases. ^^