Search Unity

Polybrush missing shaders?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by MithosKuu, Nov 29, 2019.

1. MithosKuu

MithosKuu

According to the release documentation https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.polybrush@1.0/manual/index.html and the legacy documentation https://unity-technologies.github.io/procore-legacy-docs/polybrush/polybrush-gh-pages/modes/texture/ Polybrush is supposed to include multiple shaders, described as such

Standard Texture Blend | A PBR enabled material with support for blending up to 12 different textures.
    Standard Texture Blend Bump | A PBR enabled material with support for blending up to 4 different textures with normal maps.
    TriPlanar Texture Blend | A PBR enabled material with support for blending up to 4 textures and automatically projects UV coordinates.
    TriPlanar Texture Blend Legacy | A Blinn-Phong lighting pipeline (legacy) material with support for blending up to 4 textures and automatically projects UV coordinates.
    Unlit Texture Blend | A simple unlit material with support for blending up to 6 textures.

However, the samples in 1.0 and 1.0.2 preview only include Standard Texture Blend Bump and Standard Vertex Color, I had been banking on using the expanded texture blending offered by Standard Texture Blend and am disappointed that I can't find it anywhere, is it expected to be added back soon?

2. melos_han_tani

melos_han_tani

very curious about what happened to this!

3. Klausology

Klausology

4. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

If I remember correctly these were removed because we were having trouble keeping them up to date with HDRP and URP changes. Now that these projects are in a more stable state it could be interesting to re-introduce them.

Alverik and Klausology like this.
  5. danjonesdevmcr

danjonesdevmcr

Also had an issue with locating these, might be worth updating the docs if they've been removed.

6. nindim

nindim

Hi,

@kaarrrllll

I am new to PolyBrush and this is very confusing, not to mention disappointing.

It seems like I now need to spend time figuring out the PolyBrush shader system just to evaluate the texture blend feature :/

I think that you absolutely need to include at least 1 working shader that users can use to evaluate and also then extend for their own needs.

Obviously it would be great if more shaders were available, but anything that works out of the box would be better than what we have just now.

As an aside, I did try a shader from the github link above but I guess things have changed between then and v1.0.1 from the packager manager as it does not work:

1) ForwardBase and ForwardAdd redefinitions to start with
    2) After commenting them out PolyBrush still does not think the shader supports texture blending.

Has anyone got a shader that works with the current version that can be used as is for evaluating the system? I'm loathed to get too deep with it until I know we want to use it.

Thanks!

bhoffman67 likes this.
  7. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

@nindim I agree that we need to be packing shaders, it's definitely in the list of work for Polybrush improvements.

Alverik likes this.
  8. nindim

nindim

Hi @kaarrrllll,

Any progress on this?

Thanks,

Niall

bhoffman67 likes this.
  9. glangor

glangor

Hi,

I was just following a Polybrush tutorial and came across exactly this issue. Bringing forward the shaders from the github link above didn't help. Where do we get a copy of some shaders that work with the current version 1.0.2? Given the Polybrush tool is aimed at people wanting to do simple tasks, I can't imagine everyone is delving in to create their own custom shaders? What's everyone using at the moment? @kaarrrllll do you have any updates?

10. kaarrrllll

kaarrrllll

Unity Technologies

Polybrush 1.1.2 ships with a couple of shaders in the Samples, which you can import from the Package Manager window under Polybrush.

bessi3 likes this.
  11. glangor

glangor

Thanks - I did see those two. The one I was interested in was one that could mix vertex shading with textures. Also a triplanar one that looked great in some tute videos I saw. It would be a shame to lose that functionality.

Also, the package manager only shows version 1.0.2 even though I see some git release notes for 1.1.2?

Thanks @kaarrrllll

Alverik, r137 and Kloppy like this.
  12. bhoffman67

bhoffman67

just saw today versions 1.1.3 and 1.1.2 are available... and yet after upgrading to both of them, polybrush shaders are still missing. :(

13. cuttinged

cuttinged

Just change the documentation so it makes it possible to use the tool. Say that you need to import the samples along with polybrush or that you need to somehow find your own shader that works with vertex colors so you can use this tool. That would help save many dev hours. Thanks.

14. bessi3

bessi3

Importing sample Polybrush shaders in the package manager fixed it for me.

Klausology likes this.