Search Unity

Polybrush Broken in 2018.3

Discussion in 'World Building' started by BMayzak, Oct 14, 2018.

1. BMayzak

BMayzak

It looks like Polybrush is currently unusable in 2018.3

When attempting to paint textures onto a mesh with a Polybrush/Standard Texture Blend material attached, I'm not seeing anywhere to chose a texture to brush. Also, the console is constantly sending out these errors:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
    Polybrush.z_ShaderUtil.GetMeshAttributes_Legacy (UnityEngine.Material material, Polybrush.z_AttributeLayout[]& attributes) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Utility/z_ShaderUtil.cs:150)
    Polybrush.z_ShaderUtil.GetMeshAttributes (UnityEngine.Material material, Polybrush.z_AttributeLayoutContainer& attribContainer) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Utility/z_ShaderUtil.cs:111)
    Polybrush.z_BrushModeTexture.CheckForTextureBlendSupport (UnityEngine.GameObject go) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Brush

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    Polybrush.z_BrushModeTexture.OnBrushMove (Polybrush.z_BrushTarget target, Polybrush.z_BrushSettings settings) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Brush Modes/z_BrushModeTexture.cs:313)
    Polybrush.z_Editor.OnBrushMove () (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:922)
    Polybrush.z_Editor.UpdateBrush (UnityEngine.Vector2 mousePosition, System.Boolean isDrag) (at Assets/ProCore/Polybrush/Code/Editor/Interface/z_Editor.cs:774)

Let me know if you need more information

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi, thanks for the info! We're working on Polybrush 1.x, which includes fixes for 18.3 and much more. More info on that soon!

3. DarkGate

DarkGate

Great not so great news. Glad that it is not me, seems like others are having the same issue across the board. I was going insane. Can not wait for the fix!

4. Tony707

Tony707

We are also looking for the fix for Unity 2018.3!

5. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

It would be really awesome to have some sort of preview version!

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

We'll get a preview build out as soon as it's stable, for sure. Having others help to test and break things before release is super, super appreciated!

7. drugges

drugges

I am looking forward to this. The polybrush blend shaders just render black surfaces for me. I would love to help test the next version. What should I do to not miss the preview releases?

8. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

We'll make posts here, Twitter, maybe even a blog thing when it's ready, since we'll definitely want help testing things out- thanks very much!

corjn likes this.
  9. david_kay

david_kay

I have a project on Unity 2018.2 and have the same issue. Hope the fix arrives soon I'm dying to try this tool!

10. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Yea, can´t wait for PolyBrush. :D Any ETA on when the Preview is available? @gabrielw_unity

Still waiting since the announcement. ^^

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
  11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

We're closing in! Currently working on some bugs when using Polybrush with ProBuilder objects.

corjn likes this.
  12. arashbahrehmand

arashbahrehmand

That's a good news @gabrielw_unity
    Could you roughly estimate when it will be released?

13. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hmm...week or two, I hope?

Noogy, Tony707, Sonorpearl and 3 others like this.
  14. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Can´t wait to test PolyBrush. :D

15. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Update: preview should be available very soon. Make sure you have "Show Preview Packages" enabled in the Package Manager. This week or next.

Sonorpearl likes this.
  16. Reshima

Reshima

Polybrush doesn't show up in the package manager (with preview pkgs) yet.

17. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

Hi, is there any news on this? Thanks!

18. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Always a new bug to find. Working toward, thanks for your patience!

Griffox and Sonorpearl like this.
  19. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

No problem, thanks for the update :)

20. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Still, hope that there will be a Preview Version soon. :D

21. IndieGameHustle

IndieGameHustle

Just checking to see if the Polybrush Preview will be dropping this week * Crossing fingers *. I am kinda really needing to sculpt a few meshes within my scene for testing. ♥ Thanks for everything by the way! the whole probuilder toolset!

Griffox likes this.
  22. Griffox

Griffox

Really looking forward to trying this out. Waiting on your wisdom :) Know you guys have a lot on your plate right and appreciate all the work you are doing to get this working

23. Gabe851

Gabe851

while we wait for compatibility, can anyone point me to a working-with-unity-2018.3 vertex painter I can use to paint textures onto 3d models in the scene view? Like basically something like what the terrain editor does for painting terrain textures, just for 3d objects, in my case just to put different textures on different parts of the floor, like carpet, stone, wood, etc...

Thanks

24. PeterColemonts

PeterColemonts

I was thinking I'm getting crazy. Was searching for hours to fix it. But it's just with the latest version. I'm looking forwards to the new release. Thanks!

25. Disastercake

Disastercake

Any news on this? Polybrush's texture/vertex painting tools are a critical part of the Unity toolkit (for me at least).

Rootbeard, corjn, Seb-1814 and 2 others like this.
  26. Seb-1814

Seb-1814

Could you please mention on the asset store page that texture/color paining doesn't work with 2018.3?

Rootbeard likes this.
  27. Estemyr

Estemyr

I seem to have problems with vertex painting on meshes exported from maya, At first, if already vertex painted, and applyed material, It shows all the materials etc, But when i try to paint with polybrush, The whole mesh just turns gray, almost like unity standard material... Any idea what causes this?
    I'll keep searching for solutions meanwhile~

Edit: I sort of fixed it by exporting as obj instead of fbx from maya

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  28. Daydreel2

Daydreel2

Hello !

Is there any news about polybrush release for 2018.3 ?

29. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Hey @gabrielw_unity,

It would be really nice to get any new Updates regarding PolyBrush. It has been stated that it would come out really soon since January and now it is March.

We would love to help with Bug finding and testing. Maybe a GitHub for the project would be nice. It really helped with the Development of NavMesh.
    Even if the current version has a few bugs, it would still be better then the current state that is completely broken in 2018.3. Especially with the Render Pipelines.

With friendly Regards
    Jan aka. Sonorpearl

Vog, nothingAD, corjn and 2 others like this.
  30. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

totally agree with the above!

Lars-Steenhoff likes this.
  31. alexanderlarsen

alexanderlarsen

I'm interested in the 2018.3 version release date as well

32. EmergingMobile

EmergingMobile

Some info that may help. I am having the same issue as the op, but only on my mac machine using build settings for iOS. Everything seems to be working fine on my windows machine with build settings set to Android. I have unity 2018.3.9f1 on the mac, and unity 2018.3.8f1 on the windows.

33. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

Hi, sorry to keep pestering, but is there any news on this? Thanks!

Vog likes this.
  34. militarybeetle

militarybeetle

Aw damnit it looked like a really cool tool when I was using it in 3D-Game kit, guess I'll just have to wait then

35. No0B25

No0B25

Well, something is happening. The repo shows that there's some progress on it going on. There's been a preview.13 on the 20th of March. I tried it and it's broken in 2018.3, so there's still things to do.

I rewrote my texture blend shader to work with vertex colors for the time being, so I'm assigning colors with ProBuilder for now. It's annoying, but what can you do. It's less work than making PolyBrush work myself. So I'm waiting eagerly for a working release. :)

36. Rootbeard

Rootbeard

37. anihilnine

anihilnine

6 months since the issue was reported. It's a nice tool and thanks for all your work, but this is too slow. Looks like it is time to ditch polybrush.

dadude123 likes this.
  38. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

This is pretty disappointing given the fact Unity made a reasonably big deal about buying and incorporating these tools.

Disastercake and dadude123 like this.
  39. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

40. nomand

nomand

Looks like you can download source of the preview 15 here, follwing the link No0B25 posted.
    An official update would be nice. Looks like it's taking some time because it has to now support HD/LWRP+Legacy Standard.

41. AkiLap

AkiLap

@nomand, have you tested the v15 does it work on standard pipeline?

42. nomand

nomand

@AkiLap hey, I haven't yet. Potentially switching to 2019 LWRP so just waiting till that happens at work before I chase polybrush around. For now I'm using vertex color blending and prefab scatter while those features still work. Cheers

43. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

44. H_Hazuki

H_Hazuki

bump

Vog likes this.
  45. AkiLap

AkiLap

It seems they released v1.0.0 preview-17 to Package Manager.
    Its visible and installable by selecting "Show preview packages". :)

Vog and H_Hazuki like this.
  46. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

Yeah, it appeared in tha Package Manager, but without the shader and material examples in 2019.1

47. BMayzak

BMayzak

Looks like preview 17 is doing the trick! Was able to texture paint without any errors and was even able to get lightmapping to work! (which it didn't seem to in previous versions)

Awesome job, devs!

Only other request is that we are able to remap the hotkeys for Polybrush, since right now I use G for move tool (to match Blender), but Polybrush captures that key for itself.

Adam-Bailey likes this.
  48. AkiLap

AkiLap

@BMayzak Which shader did you use to get texture painting work? Or if you made one yourself can you share?
    I havent got texture painting work yet, though vertex painting shader works pretty ok.

49. theLATORE

theLATORE

I'm still can't paint textures in 2018.3. The option to make a material "blendable" for polybrush is gone :(

Should I upgrade to 2019/LWRP?

50. BMayzak

BMayzak

I had to upgrade to 2019.1, to get it to work. I'm using one of the included example materials to test.