Search Unity

PolyBrush and the new Rendering Pipelines not working?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Sonorpearl, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Hello lovely Unity-Community,

I would like to ask if it is possible to use the new Rendering Pipelines like LWRP or HDRP with PolyBrush.
    Since PolyBrush requires the Polybrush specific Shaders like the Standard Blend Texture Shader, which just renders as pink with the new Pipelines and there seems to be no automatic upgrader.

And if not, when will it be available?
    Nearly all new features of Unity require the Pipelines and I would hate to either miss the Visual Effects Graph or PolyBrush.

With friendly Regards
    Jan aka. Sonorpearl

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Yes, Polybrush 1.0 will have solutions for standard, LWRP, and HDRP :)

Sonorpearl likes this.
  3. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Thanks, that is very nice to hear!

So I guess it will come out pretty soon, heard 1.0 is released with Unity 2018.3 and that is already in Beta b11.
    Would love to test that before the release, if there is any need for testing or chance of doing so. :)

4. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Good point! When we have a 1.0 preview ready, we'll probably post instructions here on the forum, in the World Building channel. Thanks!

Sonorpearl likes this.
  5. Waterlane

Waterlane

A few quick questions…
    1. Will the new release of Polybrush allow for full PBR materials to be painted?
    2, Will substance materials be supported?
    3. Will it be possible to blend different material types
    4. How many materials/layers can be painted?
    5. Will the painting features work the same for terrains and meshes?
    6. Will it be possible to paint/blend terrain materials up/onto meshes upon the terrain?
    7.Can we paint/blend heightmaps (eg water between stones)?

Cheers :)

6. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! So many questions! :p

#5 and 6 - nope, sorry Terrain uses very different systems, we can't overlap functionally. However- we would like to at least have a more consistent UI for each, so you don't have to learn multiple interfaces for basically the same actions.

Everything else - technically, yes! You can use any shader you want. Polybrush doesn't actually care :p , the tool just modifies channels like vertex colors, UV, etc. Then, your shader does stuff (like blending textures, heightmaps, etc) based on those channels info. Of course we'll be including lots of example shaders, and info to create your own custom ones :)

7. Waterlane

Waterlane

Thanks for the reply - All cool - and 'a consistent UI; sounds a very good idea. :)

8. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

Unity 2018.3 seems to be out completely, any updates? :)

9. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Working to have PB4 out this week, before the holidays, but Polybrush 1.0 will have to wait, sorry!

hippocoder likes this.
  10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks got latest builder, but no brush yet.

Can you outline roughly what improvements come to brush (assuming it's coming on package manager) please? In particular wondering about object scattering.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Sure! It's mostly bug fixes and upgrades for SRP, with Object Scattering getting the largest "feature update" - that mode now includes randomization settings, palettes, and a handy "Loaded" space for tracking what items will be placed. Also enables painting with items from multiple palettes, and setting per-item randomization settings. Lots of good stuff, working to be on-par with the "QuickBrush" tool that was deprecated.

hippocoder likes this.
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thank you! The scattering stuff sounds very nice, especially being able to track it for potential indirect rendering, I guess?

13. Grimreaper358

Grimreaper358

Will PolyBrush have object placement/scattering with physics?

14. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Not sure what you mean by "indirect rendering"? :hmm:

Not in v1.0, but it's something we know many people (including us!) would like to have, so we'll look into it once we have time, for sure :)

hippocoder and Grimreaper358 like this.
  15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I mean I get at the list so I can use the data for rendering via https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Graphics.DrawMeshInstancedIndirect.html because that would be the best possible use (being able to actually use it due to performance) of Polybrush's scattering. Otherwise it's just a toy that gets a bit slow.

It probably should help us cull it somehow, perhaps a nice script. I feel that this will allow you to champion the tool as being something real, substantial you can use to just deeply populate scenes without the easily avoidable perf hit.

ToniAittoniemiSC likes this.
  16. ToniAittoniemiSC

ToniAittoniemiSC

Hi,

Any estimate on when Polybrush with SRP support (1.0?) will be out? Is there a pre-release available?

Thanks

17. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

This is a fantastic idea, seconded!

Currently we are avoiding the performance hit by doing the same method @hippocoder does where we get the list of scattered objects and then actually render them using the Graphics namespace, meaning we can avoid having so many game objects in the scene, but this could also greatly help stuff and mean we dont need to do this anymore!

hippocoder likes this.
  18. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Absolutely! because code we don't have to keep alive is more time spent elsewhere doing stuff and moving forward :)

19. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Huh. This sounds neat, but it's past my level of technical understanding (just the art guy, here :p ) If it's not too much to ask, would you mind starting a new thread with a fairly detailed explanation of how your current workaround is setup, and what an ideal built-in solution would be? Thanks!

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Your staff will know! :D

21. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

Hey guys, any updates on this? Im making some levels for a project on HDRp and would love to use polybrush with probuilder as main tool for level design and finalization

bkleman likes this.
  22. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

23. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

Hy @Sonorpearl , thanks for the update, sad to hear this. My project depends on this package =C

24. konsic

konsic

Please change CTRL+D when Polybrush is activated becuase it's already shortcut for duplicatoin in Unity.

25. Sonorpearl

Sonorpearl

I just saw the Polybrush Package being in Preview in 2019.1, but not yet in 2018.3. What is the reason for that?

26. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

What? it is working? If it is i can upgrade my project just now!

27. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

Well, i tried to upgrade my project to 2019.1, but it broke completly, all the materials went White, and everything was just a mess.
    If i start a new empty project with 2019 and import HDRP, everything white again.

So i rolledback to 2018.3, and manually copied and pasted the polybrush Packages of an empty 2019 project to Packages folder of my 2018.3 project.

I managed to see the exemples and the materials seems to work, but it just wont import the packages, and if i restart the editor, the packages is just deleted.

28. Ruuds

Ruuds

Any Progress on this? I really want to use Polybrush with the new render Pipeline in Unity 2018

29. Renanmgs

Renanmgs

I tried to upgrade the project again, and after like 5 reimports things got normal. Apparently it was working, but i got a new problem with the new shadergraph API with CustomNodes, but apparently polybrush was working with all features.

Sonorpearl likes this.
  30. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hey! Thanks for bravely trying the preview packages! If you run into repro-able issues, please do submit a bug report so we can easily track and fix - it's often difficult for us to find all the edge case stuff that other projects will hit :(

(Help > Report a Bug) Thanks!

31. RobotOverlordProductions

RobotOverlordProductions

Been waiting patiently on this, I really hope this hasn’t been abandoned. Everyone is going to be using the new rendering pipelines for their games, without an update allowing for Polybrush texture blending, it really weakens this amazing tool.