Search Unity

Poly Count Limitation in unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Oniken, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Oniken

Oniken

Hello All,

I was wondering what is the poly count limitations for Unity.

Character Models

environment sizes etc...

I hope my question makes a little sense

thanks.

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Per-object it's about 65,000. Other than that there aren't any limitations.

--Eric

3. Jessy

Jessy

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Heh. See, I watch and wait until you're about to answer a question, then I swoop in just ahead of you. It's fun!

--Eric

gdespaux2010 likes this.
  5. Oniken

Oniken

Thank you for the info and the link.

and the timely response.

Good job to you both.

6. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

This is not a "Teaching" related topic, this is a general Support question so I'm moving this thread. Please use the Teaching forum area for questions about training on Unity, as in how to prepare and deliver such training, about using Unity as part of an instructional course, etc.

7. mrekuc

mrekuc

I was wondering the same thing you were.

So I decided to stress it out taking one of our scenes (built for hi res renderings, not gaming). I was impressed that it still imported it even though the entire scene was sitting at about 1M Tri's!!:eek: One thing I did to help on the import though was convert the Maya scene to FBX format (although Unity imports Maya files in this way already) because Unity tended to lock up, but once converted it imported ALOT quicker with out the long conversion wait. And it still ran good in the web player!

I wouldn't recommend that kind of Tri count. But its nice to know Unity can still in fact handle it pretty darn good. :wink:

8. Aero

Aero

mrekuc, so how did you do that? Were you splitting up the scene into multiple single meshes ?

Anyone know if unity still and "always" will be limited to the 65k per mesh limitation ?

I work with CAD geometries and while they can be quite good even after polygon reduction and optimization it would be even better to allow more vertices.

Other 3D gaming engines like quest3d and virtools seems to have removed the 65535 vertices per mesh limitation but i prefer working in unity!

Can one expect this to happen in the near future for unity3d ?

Thanks

9. Ramen Sama

Ramen Sama

I'd like to ask a relevant question regarding this as well.

I noticed that when you have multiple materials applied to one object, it's vertex count goes up and up.

Like a cube with two surfaces, when it's rendered it shows up as 16 or more verts. Can anyone explain more on why unity does this, and tell me if the rendered amount of verts is this limit, or is it the limit of the model without textures. In the case of the cube, the model shows only 8 verts.