Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Polling

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Darloc, Apr 15, 2011.

1. Darloc

Darloc

Hey Guys, I am learning how to use Maya and making some models for a game, I was wondering if anyone would be interested in buying an insect pack with 3 or 4 models with some very simple animations like walk, fly, bite, sting. I was thinking of charging 10$ for it what do you say? feedback, including constructive criticism is welcome

$Ant.png $Wasp.png $waspwire.png $waspwire.png

This is what I have so far, the texturing needs some work but let me know what you think

Thanks
    Darloc

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  2. Darloc

Darloc

3. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

A bump in less than one hour? Oh man, you need to learn to calm down...

About the models:

- You should post a wireframe render, but the geometry doesn't seem to be right... the insects look more like spheres (or deformed spheres) that are sticked together than a clean mesh. I can't explain better because my English isn't so good and I don't know the name of the parts of the insect anatomy in English, but it doesn't look right.

- Textures are too simple (pure colors, there aren't transitions between colors nor shadows because of the ambient occlusion). In addition, you haven't use UV projections (only simple cylindrical or spherical projections) and you haven't used any specular map / bump map / normal map to give them more details.

I don't want to sound too harsh, but I wouldn't use those models in my game even if they were free, so I don't think you can sell them to anybody in their current state.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  4. Darloc

Darloc

Sorry I guess I wasn't clear this is just the beginning not even close to a final product but thank you for the input

5. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Then I suppose you should have posted when you were close to the final product... anyways, if you post a wireframe render we'll be able to judge better the geometry.

6. Darloc

Darloc

Okay I added a wire frame shot I hope that is what you meant, also I don't know when I would be finishing these I was just seeing if I should continue to refine these if people would be interested or to just use them in my game (An free online game) and practice other models

7. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Yes, that was what I meant.

However, I see a little problem with the mesh: looking the wings of the bee, I would say that you are using a "smooth modifier" (or whatever is called in Maya) and that is something that isn't supported by any game engine. If you want to have a higher level of detail, you will need to subdivide the mesh (increasing the poly-count) or you will need to create a bump map / normal map (to make the model look like if it had a higher level of detail), but you can't apply a "smooth modifier". So if you want to see how your model will look inside a game engine, you will have to remove all "smooth modifiers" and then post a new render / screenshot.

8. Darloc

Darloc

by smooth modifier do you mean NURBS?

9. dgutierrezpalma

dgutierrezpalma

Yes, it could be... I don't know how it is called in Maya because I haven't used Maya, but 3D Studio and Autodesk Softimage. However, both of them have some kind of "smooth modifier" that can be used to make the model look like if it had a higher poly-count than it really has. We can see clearly in the edge of the wings that they are composed by curved lines, so there must be some kind of smoothing or whatever is called in Maya...