Search Unity

[POLL] What's missing from purchased game content?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brian@Artific, Sep 20, 2013.

?

What would you like to see in a purchased 3D Model to make it more "ready-to-use?"

1. Destructibility

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Interactivity (simple scripts)

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  3. Inventory

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Levels of Detail (LOD)

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
  5. Lights

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Particles

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  7. Physics Components

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  8. Sound Effects (SFX)

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Brian@Artific

Brian@Artific

I've bought assets from the Asset Store, TurboSquid, and contractors, and I've rarely been disappointed with the quality. The only thing I do wish is that I didn't have to spend time adding lights, sound, and other components.

So I've started to wonder what everyone else's experience is, and whether there's a need for more "full-featured" game content in the Asset Store. If you have time to answer a few questions, you can find a detailed survey here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/UnityGameContent.

If you're in a hurry, let me just ask this: What would you like to see added to a purchased 3D Model to make it more "ready-to-use"?

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  2. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

LOD is the only thing I would care for when purchasing art. It is always nice to get a set of animations with it, especially when I'm after legacy animations.

Destructibility and Interactivity is game dependant.
    Not sure what Inventory means in this context.
    Physics Components could be nice but could also get in the way if you decide the player must be able to walk trough that vase or you do not want one collider per wall tile but rather want to make one big collider around the length of the wall.

The rest are would be nice to haves and might only really fit into a nice sample scene.

3. Socrates

Socrates

I agree that Level of Detail is a good feature to have. It is something I seldom see and would give a model value in my eyes.

For character models, I do like to see at least some animations. That way I at least have basic animations that work with that skeleton. While I have various animations already, a number of character models I've picked up don't work well with other animations either due to skeletal issues or because of how the model's form is shaped.

Generally for buildings or set pieces, I don't generally think lighting per model or anything is necessary. It is going to change with the scene. (Exceptions for products that are sold as a giant scene as opposed to individual parts.)

One other thing I would really like to see in more packages, particularly ones with multiple parts, is an included scene that has the parts laid out nicely so you can see what you have. I mean like the screen shots some products include where the parts/models are lined up in rows and laid out so you know what you're buying. That kind of thing is helpful down the line when I'm picking pieces to put into a scene I'm working on.