Search Unity

Poll: Unity doesn’t even have a plan for tracking asset store packages in a project. Is that...?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by transat, Sep 15, 2020.

?

Unity doesn’t even have a plan for tracking asset store packages in a project...

1. Cool

8.3%
  2. Not cool

20.8%
  3. Outrageous

70.8%
  1. transat

transat

The year is 2020 and Unity have recently commented on the forum to say that they are “not aware of any plans” to allow users to know whether the asset store packages they have imported into their projects have updates available.

Take the poll to let Unity know how you feel about this.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  2. dgoyette

dgoyette

Doesn't the package manager already do this?

upload_2020-9-15_1-43-12.png

3. transat

transat

The arrow from your screenshot is actually showing you that an asset you have downloaded onto your computer has an update available. It does not relate to your project whatsoever.

The button says “import” and not “update” for asset store packages.

If you clone your project and import the updated asset in one of the two identical projects... the arrow indicating an update will be gone... from both projects (the one that is up to date and also the one that isn’t).

I you delete the package from the store download folder (because you’re out of space and the editor doesn’t give you the option of where the downloads go) then Unity will never ever show you that downward arrow, even with the asset being in your project.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    firstuser and Marc-Saubion like this.
  4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Would be a nice to have feature I guess, but I end up modifying pretty much every asset store package I use so don't really want to take updates unless it fixes some problem I'm having. If I'm having a problem, I'm already visiting the asset's page to see if there is a comment or support forum, so can already see if there is an update. So not sure how helpful this would really be. YMMV

5. transat

transat

6. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

I was answering the title: I think users should be able to see updates. You flipped the question in your poll.

transat likes this.
  7. transat

transat

Bien vu. j'ai changé le titre.

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  8. Marc-Saubion

Marc-Saubion

Technically the feature exists, but it's a sloppy job.

@transat already gave you some good feedback but there are other issues.

The icons are terrible. Do you know what arrow left and arrow down stand for? Because I don't.

More importantly, your window only shows 20 something assets, not your full collection. How often do you review your hundred of assets one by one to check for updates?

Unity always has the same problem. Features are good enough for hobbyists and video tutorials, but for professional use, they are unfinished.

firstuser and transat like this.
  9. transat

transat

It's the end of 2021 Are there any updates on this @willgoldstone ?

10. christh

christh

Been away from Gamedev for a few months, then I spent an hour yesterday thinking my Project had problems. Then I finally realised that not able to see which Asset Store assets are installed is by design!

This may not be a burning issue, but it affects everyone - particularly those using a non-trivial number of assets, and those working in teams - which presumably would be those contributing most to Unity's bottom line.

11. halley

halley

A project does not record what version of a PACKAGE you imported, because you import FILES from a package, not a package. Each time you click Import, you are presented with a set of files and you choose which files you want to import. Those might replace existing files you happened to have. Those might be additional files which you chose not to import before. Should it track what version of package every single file came from? What if you made changes to that file after you imported it?

christh likes this.
  12. christh

christh

I get that, but it would be nice to have a rough idea of what I've pulled into my project (hacked / cherry-picked / or not) on the Package Manager dialogue.