Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Join us on Dec 8, 2022, between 7 am & 7 pm EST, in the DOTS Dev Blitz Day 2022 - Q&A forum, Discord, and Unity3D Subreddit to learn more about DOTS directly from the Unity Developers.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll threads

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by Baste, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Baste

Baste

See this thread.

It's a very common problem that new users on these forums create their first thread as a poll, with seemingly absurd options. Why is that?

It's because of how creating polls are implemented. When creating a thread, you have the input fields for creating the thread on top, and then the input fields for creating the thread as a poll under that. Since it's common for "create thread" buttons in forums to be on the bottom of the page, what happens is this:
    - New user clicks create thread, adds header and body text
    - New user scrolls to the bottom of the page (real fast) looking for a "create" button.
    - When scrolled to the bottom, they find the "Question" box. That sounds reasonable, so they enter something there, or something somewhere else in the poll section, without realising that it's a poll.
    - New user finds the "Create thread" button under the "post a poll" entry box
    - New user hits that. Since they haven't filled out anything in the poll, they get an error message.
    - New user adds arbitrary poll entries in confusion.

It seems far-fetched, but we get new users posting weird polls every day, so it's pretty common.

If it's possible, I'd suggest just hiding everything poll-related behind a "create a poll" checkbox, and only having a single "Create thread" button. That'd ease the new user experience.

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  2. Lurking-Ninja

Lurking-Ninja

Or just hide the poll for non-admin/non-Unity personnel. I haven't seen average user-created poll which would be useful by any means in ages, maybe ever. (The Unity-created ones usually are useful and understandable)

3. Baste

Baste

4. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

I had noticed this too. There should be two buttons:
    • post new thread,
    • post new poll,
    at the top of the forum category.

5. MUGIK

MUGIK

Another thing is that you can't change poll after its creation. Yes, you can add options or close the poll. But you can't completely remove it and start a new one.

Almost every developer who published something on the Asset Store have a thread for each asset used for "marketing" and contacting customers. Ability to create new polls would be really nice for dudes like me:)