Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

[Poll] New UI: First Impressions

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Cosmas, Aug 28, 2014.

?

What do you think of the new UI?

1. Works great!

46.7%
  2. Works Ok, needs more features..

46.7%
  3. Eh..Not what I was expecting

3.3%
  4. Big disappointment

3.3%
  1. Cosmas

Cosmas

I know not a lot of time has passed now, but I want to see what everyone is generally thinking. Purely academic (Well.. to settle a bet). Thanks for participating.

2. cowtrix

cowtrix

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "more features" but rather "less bugs, things fixed, open source".

3. Puck

Puck

As far as I can tell it works great! A huge improvement to the previous basic UI system. Even for a very simple use case the old UI was pretty nightmare-ish, but with the new system a fairly complicated main menu can be mocked up in just a few minutes. Great work that truly adds to the spirit of Unity!

One little thing I did notice though is that if you set the canvas to "screen space - camera" it doesn't work well with the default first person controller — it jitters a lot as you move around. I can't think of a use case off the top of my head where you would need that particular combination of a dynamic camera and camera space UI, but I'm sure someone somewhere will!

4. JAKJ

JAKJ

That's not really useful, though, because they're already doing that. It's like saying "I want a hamburger." when your spouse is in the kitchen cooking you a hamburger.

What's useful would be either saying "It does or will do everything I need." or "It does not and so far will not do X that I need.".

5. Senshi

Senshi

I'm with Cowtrix on this one; I don't want more (new) features per sé, but rather there are a few unpolished areas (no gradual mask, certain events missing e.g.) I'd like to see fixed. This is a beta though, and overall I'm thoroughly impressed! 9/10

6. Whippets

Whippets

A bit of room for bug fixes, and a bit more polish; but overall it's great. Love it. 9/10