Search Unity

[POLL] Network backend for Asset Store FPS Kit

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PhobicGunner, Aug 25, 2014.

?

Which network backend should an FPS game kit use?

1. uLink

28.6%
  2. Bolt

57.1%
  3. TNet

14.3%
  1. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Hello, all.
    I'm looking to create an advanced multiplayer FPS kit destined for the Unity Asset Store (actually, it will serve as the basis for a game I am developing, but I figured it would make a good game kit).

My initial instinct was to use uLink for the game kit. I own a uLink license I haven't used for any released games yet, and I consider uLink to be the best choice for the kit, but my worry is that the cost of uLink will scare away customers.
    There's also Bolt which I do own, but I don't consider it nearly as mature or as good as uLink at this point. There's also TNet, which is perhaps even less mature for a twitch-action shooter than Bolt.

I definitely do not want to use Photon in any case. While it makes a good network backend if you don't really care about security or latency, it is far from ideal for a twitch-action shooter and I'd like to avoid it if possible.

Some feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. jerotas

jerotas

I would say wait 2-3 months and use Bolt. It will be way better than the others when they get out of beta.

3. thelebaron

thelebaron

I think anyone willing to use uLink would not necessarily need an fps kit for their project.