Search Unity

[poll] $ales question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Randy-Edmonds, Aug 30, 2006.

?

How many copies of your game do you actually sell (or estimate to sell if not finished yet)?

1. 1 per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 1 per month

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 1 per week

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I'll be lucky to ever sell 1 copy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2 to 5 per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5 to 10 per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 10 to 15 per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. over 15 per day

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Randy-Edmonds

Randy-Edmonds

I am currently creating my first game (with Unity of course) and I am very anxious to get it finished and see how many downloads/sales it generates. My estimates (guesses) range from 1 to 16 sales per day; 100 to 1600 downloads per day (averaging a 1% conversion rate).

I am a professional programmer. I make very good money contracting; C# .Net programming. Like I said, this will be my first game, but I have experience selling/developing shareware. I currently am selling a few screensavers online at NatureScreenSaver.com. I hope the game sells better than the screensavers; I only average about 1 sale per week.

:?: Is anyone else out there in a similar position? What are your thoughts/estimates on sales?

2. Mindless_Soul

Mindless_Soul

That 1 lucky to sell would be me. My hands are full enough just piecing together a game that looks decent. I am so extremely far from a professional at this point that I haven't even thought of marketing a game at all.

Some other people in here could be selling their games, (I have seen some pretty awesome stuff), but it seems that most of the games that come out of here are freeware, as of now anyway.

This makes me anxious to see the results of the poll...

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

There are many ways to market your game. Shareware is one of them. But i strongly encourage you to look at getting a publisher for your game.

Casual game portals are strong. Like www.macfun.com, shockwave.com, gamehouse.com, playfirst. If you take a look at the games there, you will see that your game does not need to be huge.

Freeverse among many others is also very interested in publishing Unity games (They are already publishing 2 games made with Unity) and they are a blast to work with.

If your game is good quality and you are 2-3 months away from shipping (Playable demo with a couple of levels) then we are very willing to give advice marketing, selling, helping you find a publisher for your game and making sure you get a fair publisher contract.

When you have something good to show, just send it to me or david.

4. pete

pete

that's 2 lucky to sells! mine because i simply don't have enough time in the day to work on it. plus it's just me working on it (tg for unity!). so i flip flop between being fired up and doubtful i'll ever finish. but i keep trying.

joe those are extremely encouraging words! it'd be great to have someone on your side who has been through it before and knows the folks to talk to. maybe next spring...

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Thats what we are here for. We want to make sure everyone using Unity, can also turn their great games into a commercial success if you desire to do so.
    We are all sitting in the same boat on this one.

6. drJones

drJones

i'm nowhere near that stage yet but i just have to say that's very generous of you. i know unity user success would be great exposure for OTEE in the long run, but still, IMO that's above beyond.

you are teh awesomeness ; )

7. pete

pete

well i will keep fighting the good fight!