Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Polarith AI (Free/Pro) | Movement, Pathfinding, Steering

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Polarith, Apr 18, 2017.

1. jmacgill

jmacgill

Oooh the manual page animations have been updated with 3d sensors and movement :) Must be getting close...

Novack likes this.
  2. Polarith

Polarith

3. Polarith

Polarith

Let me just leave this here.

one_one, Korindian and Novack like this.
  4. Novack

Novack

Great work fellas, looking forward!
    And very nice video, it talks about hours upon hours of rehearse work.

5. Polarith

Polarith

As promised we have committed our update to the Asset Store. Now it is up to Unity to approve and publish. So play the waiting game with us!

20190910-IMG_8022.JPG

NS24 likes this.
  6. NS24

NS24

That's how I look :D
    Been checking every day.

Meanwhile is there any updated docs/web pages, or are you waiting for this to appear on UAS first?

7. Polarith

Polarith

Hi @NS24,

The updated docs are already online. As some of you might have noticed, there is a little 1.7 version tag. You are welcome to discover the new features from the package and the behaviours in the docs :)

Happy exploring,
    Martin 'Zetti' Zettwitz from Polarith

8. Polarith

Polarith

3d-patch-title.png

Hi!

Just letting you know that the thing is online. We wish you loads of fun with the new features!

Here is the trailer to convince the unconvinced :)

Korindian, Vincent13122 and one_one like this.
  9. jmacgill

jmacgill

Ooooh I was going to ask you to integrate a PID controller... and you did it in the examples in release already!
    (Was messing about with PID controllers for spaceships in prep for 1.7)

Polarith likes this.
  10. jmacgill

jmacgill

Loving the update - your code is, I have to say, very well commented - make a huge difference.

Quick question... does AIMReduction work in 3D? I'm having trouble getting it to work :(

[edit] - to answer my own question... The issue was with SpaceshipController, the DecidedMagnitude always seemed to be 1.0. Changing the force calculation to the following worked for my use case:

force = new Vector3(0.0f, 0.0f, this.Context.DecidedValues[0 /* interest */] * thrustMultiplier);

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  11. jmacgill

jmacgill

In the documentation for Reduction you leave a tantalizing comment "For instance, when it is used together with Align or Adjust, you can create decent swarming behaviours for your agents. (We will definitely write a blog post about this.)"

Please do so!

12. Polarith

Polarith

20190925-IMG_8429.JPG

Hi @jmacgill,

Fair shout! We've been neglecting our blog for some time, but it's on top of our to-do list. In the meantime check out the boid-scene in our package - could solve some issues you might have with this topic!

Happy coding,
    Franz from Polarith

jmacgill likes this.
  13. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Hi,

I am trying to modify one of your samples to get an agent to navigate a maze without using a NavMesh.

My understanding is that using PlanarSeekBounds it should be able to use a planar sensor to detect a Mesh Collider, however both Agents (one with Physics and one without) in the picture go straight through the orange maze to the green dot

I have set up the Maze/Mesh Collider as an Environment in the Steering Perceiver, and used PlanarSeekBounds using the Visual Bounds Type.

I must be doing something wrong, or maybe this is not possible. I have DM'd you a copy of the scene so I hope you might be able to look at it.

cheers

Nalin

Screenshot 2019-10-07 at 09.45.34.png

14. Polarith

Polarith

Hi, @puzzlekings!

Unfortunately, this is not how our bounds behaviours work. For the other readers: the scene he send us consists of a single big mesh with the occluders (that you can see on the image above) inside. So the occluders are subparts of a big mesh. As you can read in the docs, that even with visual bounds, we process the bounds like the OOB version. Since bounds are just cuboids(center and extends), there is no way of using them as concave (or even convex) meshes, but only for bounding boxes.

You need to set them up separately for each object (or at least for each bounding box) you want to avoid. We would love to obtain a more detailed model, but that's not how Unity's bounds work. Additionally, I have to mention that a high detailed model with high precision avoidance would be extremely costly in terms of computation power since many raycasts to sample the surface would be necessary.

Sorry for the bad news,

15. puzzlekings

puzzlekings

Ok thanks @Polarith - kind of what I thought might be the case :(

Is this still the case with the 3D Spatial Sensor?

16. BCFEGAmes

BCFEGAmes

Hi there,
    Continuing on the above conversation, am I correct that a "containment" type behavior, for a procedurally generated cave with whole mesh non convex colliders, would not work using bounds? Would such a collider be usable by your system at all, or would one need to raycast manually, implement turning at a different level?!?
    Thanks,
    Sergio.

17. Polarith

Polarith

Hi, @puzzlekings!

It is the same since the bounds in Unity work the same either in 2D or 3D. Since your scene seems to be 2D-based, maybe you can put an invisible NavMesh on the ground and use Seek/Flee NavMesh instead?

Hi @BCFEGames,

edit: fixed the name reference

Nice to hear from you. How is your research going on? :)
    If your cave consists of multiple colliders, that approximate the surface of the cave, it would be possible. If you have a single mesh (-collider), you are totally right: a raycast system would do the job. Well, I've already coded a little script that's similar. :)Have a look at SeekGround in the Pro package. I've added an invisible GameObject to generate objective values with the attached behaviour. You would need to alter it to perform raycasts in the direction of each receptor of the sensor. Alternatively, you can write directly into the underlying backend behaviour to get rid of the GameObejcts, but it's way more complicated.

A hint for everyone: Note that you must set the Bounds Type to OOB if you want to perceive a collider. I think people are often a little bit confused since we use the colliders for AAB and OBB. Hence, people use them for Visual as well. Note that Visual only needs the mesh/sprite renderer (that's why it does not process the mesh collider at all). So be vigilant, guys :)

Have an awesome weekend,

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:21 AM