Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question pointlight normalisation

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by vargata, Jun 10, 2021.

1. vargata

vargata

Hi all, I have a little issue with marking points of interest on my map. as all are aware, maps have different colours, some brighter some darker. pointing a little light towards them makes the bright bits even brighter and the dark bits barely brighter. On the pic there are 4 POI-s, 2 of them with a light intensity of 10 while the other 2 are with light intensity of 4. As you can see, on the desert part the 10 is way too much, 4 would be perfect, but on the forest part, 10 would be preferred as the 4 is barely visible. Could somebody come up with any idea how to easily solve this? They are also too much interfering with the day/night cycle and they go darker during night and brighter during day as they are being added to the directional light. I would like a more normalised uniform light effect.

brightness.png

2. bgolus

bgolus

This is generally why points of interest are usually marked with an icon or an unlit colored region / circle if you need an area, rather than relying on lighting. Even that's not 100% perfect, but it's the best option we have beyond normalizing all of your surface textures to be closer in luminance value.