Search Unity

PointCloud/Tracking floating away

Discussion in 'AR' started by svg_mBerger, Jan 23, 2019.

1. svg_mBerger

svg_mBerger

Hello,

sometimes, with AR Foundation, i have a weird problem. When launching the Scene and trying to track a Plane, i can see the Points from the Point Cloud somewhere far away. Then they start to drift away very fast. This repeats a couple of times until the system somehow becomes stable and it detects planes as it should.

This does not always happen. Sometimes it tracks immediately after launching the Application and there are no problems at all with tracking. But it happens often enough to be a major problem.

Does anybody know why this keeps happening? Is there a way to fix it?

Thank you in advance

2. newguy123

newguy123

is your room not maybe too dark you're testing this in?

3. svg_mBerger

svg_mBerger

No, its actually pretty bright. I get this behaviour on various surfaces, and as i mentioned: a lot of times the tracking works very well and instant.

4. KrikeyAdmin

KrikeyAdmin

I have similar issues at times, I'm just not certain if it's the limitations of the tech and it's current state, or if I'm doing something wrong =P

5. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

I've had this too a while back.... but it improved with more recent package versions

What package versions you using and what platform? (It was worse on IOS at the time)

It does happen sometimes, but I put it down to lighting and/or detail/texture of surface

6. svg_mBerger

svg_mBerger

I am using the most recent packages (ARCore Preview 24, ARFoundation Preview 22)

7. GreeneMachine

GreeneMachine

I am on ARFoundation 20 and ARCore 23.... Unity 2018.2.6.. and ARCore 1.6 on Samsung S8, and it appears stable enough.

It does have its moments but I put them down to particular session lighting or surface being tracked. I haven't tried the ARCore plugin with out ARFoundation to compare. But I do wonder if it is more mature and stable. Im not about to test it now though, as I am committed to ARFoundation.

I have limited the frame rate to 30fps for the AR session to stop my S8 overheating as it was reducing performance... which impacted on tracking.

I am reluctant to upgrade to 2018.3 and grab the latest packages out of fear of stability issues. If you can roll back to the above combination let me know if it improved.

PS. I also find sometimes my first AR Session on load is the worst.. subsequent sessions appear better.. event though I unload and reload the AR scene entirely. I just put this down to me going slightly mad! But interested to hear of others found same?