Search Unity

Point Lights Bleeding Through Walls

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Deleted User, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi, I am working on a simple two-room interior scene. Both rooms have point lights lighting them. However, when I disable one light, the other appears to shine right through the wall! I have only seen this happen in Unity, nowhere else. I tried reducing the radius and decreasing the intensity, but it doesn't light the corners then. Any way I can get the lights to flow around the walls? Main Scene.png Light Bleeding.png

trombonaut likes this.
  2. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

its blending through because it not using shadows.

kythven likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, doors and room weren't casting, that fixed most of it. however, there are bars of light on and around the threshold. No seams in my meshes, and the doors fit perfectly. Why is it still bleeding? More Light Bleeding.png

Attached Files:

4. bgolus

bgolus

Point light shadows are a huge pain for real time rendering, and Unity's point lights are especially dodgy. Unfortunately they have something like a built in minimum bias that can't be entirely removed, so you'll have light bleed through thin or small objects. How small / thin is proportional to the radius of the light, and how far from the light the object is, so it's not something you can easily correct for without making your walls especially thick.

The other two options you have are to use baked lighting, which doesn't suffer from shadow map issues, but you do have to deal with light bleed from insufficient light map resolution or similar issues. Also depending on if you use purely static baked lighting or mixed lights you won't get light coming through doors that open, or you'll have the same light bleed when the doors are closed. Or you can use layers to force a light to only affect one room at a time, but then the light won't shine through open doors ever.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

What a ridiculous glitch. Again, it only occurs in Unity, not Unreal or Blender. Is there any way to fix it at all? Because I do need my doors to cast shadows when they're open.

6. bgolus

bgolus

Switch to the HDRP.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, I figured I would have to do that eventually. HDRP generally aims for higher graphics quality, and I've never seen any artifacts in it. Thanks for the help bgolus! :)