Search Unity

1. Looking for a job or to hire someone for a project? Check out the re-opened job forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are looking for your feedback about Templates! Tell us about your experiences by taking our survey.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Point Lights and Occlusion Culling

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by WildStyle69, May 30, 2020.

1. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

The same issue as this old thread, amazingly still exists in Unity 2019.2.21f1 (64-bit).
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...-occlusion-problem.358661/page-3#post-5920154

Pretty frustrating as I'm already working around other lighting limitations and then hit this issue, which is pretty much a brick wall for what I'm trying to do right now.

I was using a mixed lighting setup to get specular, as Unity does not give that baked and the scene looks flat otherwise. Unfortunately the performance cost was just too high, so I've gone 100% baked for now. However now of course the scene looks pretty dull, even with reflection probes and light-probes setup correctly.

So the idea - to have a dynamic point light follow the player (at a fixed distance / interval, so not always moving), with a low light emission, just enough to give specular in the local area to the player. For what I'm trying to do the concept works great, however due to the bug above, Unity culls the light depending on what angle you look at certain meshes.

Disabling occlusion culling on the camera, the issue immediately goes away, however then my scene is useless anyway, as I then have no culling and tris / verts go up exponentially.

I've just spent the last 4 hours, trying every light setting and trick in the book to get around the issue, with no luck at all. So it's pretty much dead in the water right now. Posting this in the hope that someone at Unity actually notices and picks up on the issue.

FWIW - right now trying to launch my project, so don't have time to spend creating a repro for such a simple case, that should have been fixed long ago.

// Wildstyle

2. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Spent more time working on my materials and lighting setup today - do have things in a fairly decent place now. Although it would still be nice to have the option of using real-time points with mixed lighting setup, without the occlusion culling bug.

// Wildstyle

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  3. rmon222

rmon222

I too got frustrated by this long standing bug in occlusion culling and mixed point lights. Fortunately, in my case, we didn't absolutely need occlusion culling. S/W culling did a good enough job.

WildStyle69 likes this.
  4. ADufay

ADufay

Unity Technologies

Hello, this looks like a realtime lighting issue, which unfortunately is not really relevant to this forum. We mostly deal with GI and baked solutions here.
    Can you tell us which rendering pipeline (Legacy, URP, HDRP) you are using in your project so we can redirect you to the appropriate forum please ?

Cheers

5. rmon222

rmon222

A possible fix is a flag "Don't cull any lights". I can do my own light culling.

The details are:
    1) Legacy render pipeline
    2) Mixed point lights
    3) Occlusion culling
    4) 2019.3
    Which Unity department / forum does this belong to?

WildStyle69 likes this.
  6. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

I'm running the same setup as @rmon222 on Unity 2019.2.21f1 - strange that the issue does no belong in this forum.

// Wildstyle

7. Kuba

Kuba

Unity Technologies

Hey all, I moved the thread to the General Graphics subforum, as it fits better here. Poked the Graphics Foundation team to take a look.

WildStyle69 likes this.
  8. Unityraptor81

Unityraptor81

Hey guys

@rmon222 @WildStyle69

Same issue for me on unity 2019.4.13 LTS with a realtime light and legacy render pipeline. Depending on the angle i'm looking at a wall for exemple, the light is culled. I'm in VR

One of you ever found a solution ?

@Kuba : is this a normal behavior ?

Small exemple :

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
  9. AGaming

AGaming

Same problem in Unity 2018.2.21f in VR. And this is very annoying ... Have you found how to fix the problem?

10. AGaming

AGaming

I'm just frustrated by how the Unity engine works with real light. And I think no one cares about that on the Unity team. I lose real light in all scenes - depending on the turn of the head. I have been buying a subscription for many years. And I can say the last stable version of Unity was 4. No words, just anger ...

And the only solution for me is to disable Occlusion at all levels ...

11. gksto323

gksto323

I completely agree with you.

12. germanban

germanban

This is unbelievable. Getting this issue on 2019.1.8f1, also using VR (it seems the bug gets triggered by camera angles that are more easily achieved in VR). I thought I was doing something wrong, I would have never guessed this was a bug reported as early as 2015.

There surely must be a solution because "turning off occlussion culling" is not acceptable.

13. germanban

germanban

unityunity